Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tell me about this CRX

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 08:22 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tasteful car. Im always looking at them online. Really want one now, with a nice little Type R swap
Old 10-30-09, 11:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

the CRX was LIGHT and quite quick and nimble. super fun car to drive.
Old 10-31-09, 12:56 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexoman562
that my friends is a genuine 89 crx siR , only sold in japan and canada i believe. right hand drive , power door locks and windows, came stock with a b16, one bad *** car...
That CRX is a separate model, called the exclusive. Never sold in Canada. North America never got the SIR
Old 10-31-09, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
True, but the manual, non-power steering could have used a faster ratio. Steering/road feel was good, as it usually is with non-power units, but the response was a little on the slow side. I'm sure you notice the difference, for example, between a CRX and the Miata, its arch-rival.
Old 10-31-09, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Some good CRX history stuff here, but personally I'm excited about knowing more about the new CRX, especially after seeing some of the cool pics posted in CL.

I understand it will be called the CR-Z, and probably come with a hybid drivetrain, like the original 2-seat Insight. But, of course, it will (or should) have a lot more spunk than the first Insight 10 years ago....or even today's Insight, for that matter.

The first Insight, of course, had super-MPG, but, in a number of ways, was a joke, especially with its 350 lb. load capacity, which is barely two average-sized adult males and no luggage. The old CRX could definitely handle more than that.
Old 11-01-09, 02:04 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Si looks great in yellow. Very popular back then..
Ever so cursed Y49
Old 11-01-09, 04:12 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Very successful in autocrossing, I ran my 1986 Prelude SI, CRX SI was very tough to beat
Old 11-01-09, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Glad to see the other CRX fans in here? Any pics of old cars people owned?

Old 12-17-09, 06:32 AM
rex2nr
Driver School Candidate

This thread was brought up on CRXCommunity.com.

The CRX shown in the first post is the CRX Exclusive, basically a trim package for the SI. It was only produced for the Japanese market in 1989. 350 were made with the tan leather interior, and came only in Flint Black Metallic. The package included the "Super Sound" system (CD player with upgraded speakers and "bass tubes" which were basically woofer boxes for the rear speakers), power windows, automatic climate control (yup, an automatic temperature sensing climate control back in '89!), different wheels, antilock brakes, power steering, "Exclusive" badged tailights, tinted glass, and the glass roof.

The JDM SI (and EDM 1.6i-16) came with a ~140hp DOHC (depends on sources) 1.6 liter non-VTEC engine, known as the ZC. It also came with a close ratio gearbox, equal length axles, and had the option for an LSD. The SiR and EDM VT came with the 160hp B16A.

The glass roof was standard on the Exclusive and optional on all other Asian market cars. None were ever available in the states, The rear seat and power steering was standard on all non-North American cars, and power windows, power mirrors, and the Super Sound system were options.

All CRXs came with Recaro seats stock, they were the OEM supplier. All US CRXs also got jipped out of all the cool options, haha.
Old 12-17-09, 11:04 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Wow, this thread brings back some memories!

Had a red, 88 Si, with some minor mods. It truly was a great car to flog around an auto-x course, or a track day. I actually preferred it in many ways to my 95 Miata.

Some quick notes about the car (at least for the US market):
- First and second gen cars shared very few components (if any)
- Recaro seats were standard on all CRX's
- DX was the standard model, HF the economy, Si the sportiest
- There was NO rear seat offered in the US

Both generations are still very popular autocross cars, as well as being very competative in the Improved Touring class (ITA) for SCCA and NASA. Tuners and drag racers tend to gravitate towards the HF, as it was the lightest, and has a very long 5th gear which allowed a higher top speed. For the twisties, the Si is the way to go, as it's got a very close-ratio gearbox. You can instantly spot an Si, as it was the only one offered with a factory, power moonroof.

If your looking for a second gen Si, find an 88, as it's lighter than the 89-up years, due to the fact that the shoulder belt retractors are not built into the doors. It's motor also built more torque IIRC (though a tad less HP). A common (and SCCA legal) swap was the head from an 89-91 on the block of the 88, as the cams are said to be slightly different. The 88 also had "passive rear steering" which made it more nimble, but also twitchier.

The cars are super nimble, with their go-kart proportioned wheelbase, and a factory curb-weight of just over 2000 lbs. The only two real problem in handling was the car had a lot of torque-steer when you stomped on the throttle, and it could be a bit twichy at high speeds (which is to be expected of a car of it's size).

By the time I was done with mine, it weighed about 1850 lbs, and was pushing roughly 130 hp. Made for one hell of a pocket rocket, and surprised quite a few people on the street. Lighter, Panasport wheels, front strut-tower brace, Eibach springs (1.5" drop) and bushings, and a four-point rollbar helped out in the handling department. Gutting everything non-essential in the interior, the lighter wheels, and removing all the splash guards, etc, from the engine bay and underneath the car dropped the weight. While the wrapped DC header, Thermal cat-back, test-pipe, and a gutted airbox dramatically improved power. I was slowly building an ITA car to go racing, but after 175,000 miles of Pittsburgh winters, the body finally rusted out beyond repair (in the usual Honda place - rear wheel wells). Wouldn't pass PA inspection anymore, so I sold the car to a fellow SCCA member for parts, and bought a 95 Miata.

Was a great car, and if I ever decide to build a club-racer again, I'll definately look for another 2nd gen Si.

Last edited by jaseman; 12-17-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-17-09, 11:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had friends in high school who had the Si and it was pretty quick. I remember my friend mark raced a buddy of mine with a Mazda Navajo ( ford explorer with a mazda badge) and the CRX won with no issue. I was amazed.

I would agree that a CRX would make an amazing platform for track days. Its so light, nimble, and reliable. Any Honda performance motor is bullet proof and will take a serious beating. The CRX with a K series Honda motor would be insane. I am waiting for someone to take a CRX and drop a RDX turbo motor into it.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-17-09 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-17-09, 11:38 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Can't find any pics of my old Si, but here is my buddy Mark's racecar:
Old 12-17-09, 11:54 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Best I could find of my old CRX. Wasn't pretty, but that's part of what made it so surprising on the street!
Attached Thumbnails Tell me about this CRX-mvc-006s.jpg  
Old 12-25-09, 06:13 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would kill for that CRX posted in the first post. That thing is sweet. I've always in love with the CRX, but seems like they're my unicorn. Could never get one done without any problem happen. There was always something come up that get me out of the car. Went through with about 6 or so of them and finally I decided to only live it in dreams. But this thread do bring back some memories. If that CRX ever in an auction, I'll say it will bring at least $30K with that condition it in. Let me go back to sleep again...