Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tell me about this CRX

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Default Tell me about this CRX

I know nothing about it

Old 10-28-09, 08:18 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old school Honda Civic CRX (early 90's). Pretty much started the Honda, "ricer" movement. Was referred to as Honda's "pocket rocket". Sold pretty well for them, back in the day.

More info can be found here,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CRX
Old 10-28-09, 08:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by trukn1
Old school Honda Civic CRX (early 90's). Pretty much started the Honda, "ricer" movement. Was referred to as Honda's "pocket rocket". Sold pretty well for them, back in the day.

More info can be found here,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CRX
Very aware of the CRX. Were all the roofs glass?

Old 10-28-09, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Can't make out much of the writing on the right, except for "CRX" and "81 Exclusive", but, First, the obvious....it's a right-hand drive model for either the British/Australian or JDM markets. Second, from the headlights, it's a 2Gen model, not 1Gen. Third, though I'm not positive about that, it appears to have Recaro seats inside. Fourth, the alloy wheels indicate it is probably an Si derivitive. Fifth, it seems to have a tiny rear seat (totally unfit for adults) or package shelf, which is quite unusual for a CRX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 08:28 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very aware of the CRX. Were all the roofs glass?
No,, all of them did not come with the glass roof. Was a factory ordered item only. It actually looked pretty cool when it was ordered that way, but very few of them were, in the states if I recall. There was some concern over the all glass roof not meeting safety standards(roof not holding up in case of roll over,,glass putting occupants in danger if shattered), and since the car was soo low to the ground, just about anyone could look inside of the car from all angles. I don't know if it ever passed safety regs or not, but am assuming it did, since I remember seeing a very limited few floating around in the streets, back in the day.
Old 10-28-09, 08:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The CRX is a great car. Back in the day it was the sporty honda. The guys in LA used to work those things. They are so light that it makes a great platform for tuning. Imagine this platform with a K series motor and some chasis reinforcement
Old 10-28-09, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
No,, all of them did not come with the glass roof. Was a factory ordered item only. It actually looked pretty cool when it was ordered that way, but very few of them were, in the states if I recall. There was some concern over the all glass roof not meeting safety standards(roof not holding up in case of roll over,,glass putting occupants in danger if shattered), and since the car was soo low to the ground, just about anyone could look inside of the car from all angles. I don't know if it ever passed safety regs or not, but am assuming it did, since I remember seeing a very limited few floating around in the streets, back in the day.
Interesting. I've seen many CRX models over the years (one of my best friends once owned two of them, an XF and an Si), but I've never seen one with a glass roof. As you note, there (apparantly) were very few of them in America. And not surprising, seeing as how the one in the picture is a right-hand-drive model.
Old 10-28-09, 08:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It was a super rare feature called the "cyber roof"

Hard to make out, but google didn't really have any other picture:

(Ignore the mods)
Old 10-28-09, 08:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it says "81 Exclusive" but rather "Si exclusive".

Looks like a rare Si model that was not available here in North America (or very very rare).
Old 10-28-09, 08:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

A little googling

it would be either the Asia-market "CR-X Exclusive" model or the Asia-market Si-R model. Probably the Exclusive, because it truly is. Solid glass roof panel (not a sunroof - the entire roof panel is smoked glass), beige leather interior, automatic climate control, power windows, mirrors, and door locks, heated seats, cruise control, etc. Not one of those things was ever offered in the U.S., except as aftermarket accessories.
Old 10-28-09, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The CRX is a great car. Back in the day it was the sporty honda. The guys in LA used to work those things. They are so light that it makes a great platform for tuning. Imagine this platform with a K series motor and some chasis reinforcement
True.....they were a great little sporting product. When it was replaced in 1992 by the Del Sol, CRX faithfuls raised a storm of protest. But, even so, Honda never brought it back to the American market.

The CRX, even in Si trim, did have one minor handling flaw, though.....at least on the ones I drove. They all came with non-power steering, which made for a delightful steering effort/feel, but the non-power steering rack had a slower ratio than most power units, which, together with FWD, meant noticeably slower steering response than with its main rival at the time, the Mazda Miata. Other than that, it was a blast to drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 08:39 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sat in the rear seat of it before, it's not too bad, a bit smaller than my 97 talon;s rear seats with less head room... but that's due to me being a small Chinese, but typical height and size of avg Japanese imo...
Old 10-28-09, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone...pretty interesting (I'm a big CRX fan)

Old 10-29-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

2 of my friends owed 1st and 2nd gens, both really liked the cars. I especially like the 2nd gen's sleeking fastback styling.
Old 10-29-09, 09:33 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

It still brings a smile to my face when I do see the last generation CRX. Great looking car still after all these years.

Quick Reply: Tell me about this CRX