Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The air is running out of run-flat tire interest

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 01:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The air is running out of run-flat tire interest

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/907279993

Found this item on another forum.

"It was another disappointment for Michelin and other makers of run-flat tires in a 17-year effort to win customers in the United States.

When run-flat tires appeared here in 1992, they were expected to win wide acceptance as original equipment. The prospect of no flats or blowouts seemed like a strong pitch.

But except for applications on a few luxury and other vehicles, the tires were largely ignored because of their high cost--$200 to $500 each--and their impact on fuel economy.

"A Michelin study released last year found that only 3 percent of drivers worldwide want run-flat tires. U.S. market share is well below 1 percent."

I had a set on a 335i I owned and sold the set after a week and went with conventional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Better ride and quietness and no loss of handling.
Old 10-29-09, 03:08 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally dropped my Blizzak Run Flats this year. They're just too stiff and harsh not to mention the difficulty the Lexus dealer had installing them. Fortunately, our GS has a spare tire.
Old 10-29-09, 03:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Good riddans. But for the cars that come with these tires and no spare, what's the owner to do when they change over to regular tires and then get a flat? Are there provisions to store a spare in the trunk? Is there even a way to secure a spare underneath the trunk mat?
Old 10-29-09, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not to mention how many people (including me) would pay to drop the runflats. the whole thing is just silly imho
Old 10-29-09, 04:19 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Toyota and Honda has major issues with their vans and run-flats.
Old 10-29-09, 04:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

3rd generation run flats are out or about to be.

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/65212...ire/index.html
Old 10-29-09, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Good thread. Run flats ARE NOT the future lol

Old 10-29-09, 09:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not a fan of runflats either, however, I think I'm about to be running a set my self.

Though, if there's no spare it's not like I have a lot of choice.
Old 10-29-09, 09:54 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Good riddans. But for the cars that come with these tires and no spare, what's the owner to do when they change over to regular tires and then get a flat? Are there provisions to store a spare in the trunk? Is there even a way to secure a spare underneath the trunk mat?
Our GS has a space saver spare under the floor of the trunk. It has a steel rim and I need to check to see if I need different lug nuts for it.
Old 10-29-09, 10:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I avoid cars designed for use with runflats.
Old 10-30-09, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
I'm not a fan of runflats either, however, I think I'm about to be running a set my self.

Though, if there's no spare it's not like I have a lot of choice.
please don't run a set on your m3!!!!! power is nothing without traction!
Old 10-30-09, 12:17 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Didn't you mean power is nothing without control, the Pirelli motto?
Old 10-30-09, 12:18 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ I'll worry about it when I change the tires

but no, I wouldn't pick runflats if I have anyway of choosing something else.
Old 10-30-09, 05:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
3rd generation run flats are out or about to be.

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/65212...ire/index.html
sounds promising....quieter than conventional...better ride than prvious RFT's

Bridgestone’s new third-generation runflat tire (which the company refers to as 3G RFT), however, has significantly advanced the company’s line of runflats. Whereas the second generation was merely tolerable compared with the suppleness of a conventional tire, the third generation’s variations are almost undetectable from behind the wheel. I can say that confidently, too, because I drove almost identical BMW 5-series vehicles fitted with conventional Bridgestone RE050 tires, second-generation runflats, and 3G RFTs back-to-back-to-back on short sections of the Aprilia test facility. In addition to the new tire’s drastically improved ride, it also transmits slightly less road noise into the cabin of the car.

Bridgestone claims that the 3G RFT’s sidewall is only about 105 percent stiffer vertically than that of a conventional tire, versus the 115 percent stiffer second-generation. A new “NanoPro-Tech” rubber polymer and a new deformation-reducing ply help manage heat in no-air situations; therefore, less sidewall rubber is required to permit the tire to safely travel up to 50 miles at 50 mph, an unchanged target.

Perhaps most importantly, the 3G’s behavior is so similar to that of conventional tires that Bridgestone is willing to recommend this tire as an aftermarket replacement for vehicles that originally came with traditional tires--and have tire-pressure monitoring systems, which were made mandatory in the United States beginning for the 2008 model year. In the past, the company’s runflats have been installed only on vehicles whose suspensions were specifically engineered by their makers to minimize the effects of the shoes’ stiff sidewalls and additional weight.

Bridgestone will also produce an increased number of sizes in the 3G RFT lineup, particularly tires with taller (and necessarily thicker) sidewalls, which will be supplemented by distinctive, paddlelike “cooling fins” designed to create turbulence.

The 3G RFT is already in production in Japan and is set to debut later this year on an unidentified BMW, most likely the 5-series Gran Turismo and/or the X5 M and X6 M SUVs. Bridgestone currently supplies original-equipment runflat tires to Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Ford, Lexus, Maserati, Nissan, and Toyota. The company developed its first runflat tire for the 1987 Porsche 959. After twenty-two years, though, runflats comprise only one or two percent of the U.S. and Canadian markets; thanks in part to its new third-generation runflat technology, Bridgestone expects that figure to increase to ten percent by 2019.

If runflat tires weren't so darn pricey, I bet even more people would get rid of their spare tires ...
Old 10-30-09, 06:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
sounds promising....quieter than conventional...better ride than prvious RFT's

Bridgestone’s new third-generation runflat tire (which the company refers to as 3G RFT), however, has significantly advanced the company’s line of runflats. Whereas the second generation was merely tolerable compared with the suppleness of a conventional tire, the third generation’s variations are almost undetectable from behind the wheel. I can say that confidently, too, because I drove almost identical BMW 5-series vehicles fitted with conventional Bridgestone RE050 tires, second-generation runflats, and 3G RFTs back-to-back-to-back on short sections of the Aprilia test facility. In addition to the new tire’s drastically improved ride, it also transmits slightly less road noise into the cabin of the car.

Bridgestone claims that the 3G RFT’s sidewall is only about 105 percent stiffer vertically than that of a conventional tire, versus the 115 percent stiffer second-generation. A new “NanoPro-Tech” rubber polymer and a new deformation-reducing ply help manage heat in no-air situations; therefore, less sidewall rubber is required to permit the tire to safely travel up to 50 miles at 50 mph, an unchanged target.

Perhaps most importantly, the 3G’s behavior is so similar to that of conventional tires that Bridgestone is willing to recommend this tire as an aftermarket replacement for vehicles that originally came with traditional tires--and have tire-pressure monitoring systems, which were made mandatory in the United States beginning for the 2008 model year. In the past, the company’s runflats have been installed only on vehicles whose suspensions were specifically engineered by their makers to minimize the effects of the shoes’ stiff sidewalls and additional weight.

Bridgestone will also produce an increased number of sizes in the 3G RFT lineup, particularly tires with taller (and necessarily thicker) sidewalls, which will be supplemented by distinctive, paddlelike “cooling fins” designed to create turbulence.

The 3G RFT is already in production in Japan and is set to debut later this year on an unidentified BMW, most likely the 5-series Gran Turismo and/or the X5 M and X6 M SUVs. Bridgestone currently supplies original-equipment runflat tires to Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Ford, Lexus, Maserati, Nissan, and Toyota. The company developed its first runflat tire for the 1987 Porsche 959. After twenty-two years, though, runflats comprise only one or two percent of the U.S. and Canadian markets; thanks in part to its new third-generation runflat technology, Bridgestone expects that figure to increase to ten percent by 2019.

If runflat tires weren't so darn pricey, I bet even more people would get rid of their spare tires ...
I feel a car should still have a spare even with RFTs..
RFTs can shred and you may get a flat 50+ miles away from a repair or replacement.

Quick Reply: The air is running out of run-flat tire interest