Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Winding Road: Buick LaCross vs. Audi A4 vs. Benz C300 vs. Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 07:06 PM
LexFather

Post Winding Road: Buick LaCross vs. Audi A4 vs. Benz C300 vs. Acura TSX

Old 11-01-09, 08:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to pick one of these it'd probably be the C. A friend of mind has one and I really like the car...just wish the interior was better.
Old 11-01-09, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If I had to pick one of these it'd probably be the C. A friend of mind has one and I really like the car...just wish the interior was better.
C class or the Buick for me....with the edge to the C-class. Its just a fantastic looking sedan to me with the sport option.

Old 11-01-09, 08:25 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

my rank is C, A4, TSX, LaCrosse
Old 11-01-09, 09:03 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it me, or does the Audi A4 look extremely "plain" in the first set of photos?

Also, they claim the Mercedes C class has a 6-speed manual that is both precise and engaging, yet I see an automatic transmission in the C class cockpit photo. Admittedly I have not read the review yet. Will do so now!

From a design perspective the Acura TSX and Mercedes C class are the cars I find most pleasing here. As a former W204 C class driver I know the strengths and qualities of that car and I wouldn't hesitate to own another one.
Old 11-01-09, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Is it me, or does the Audi A4 look extremely "plain" in the first set of photos?

Also, they claim the Mercedes C class has a 6-speed manual that is both precise and engaging, yet I see an automatic transmission in the C class cockpit photo. Admittedly I have not read the review yet. Will do so now!

From a design perspective the Acura TSX and Mercedes C class are the cars I find most pleasing here. As a former W204 C class driver I know the strengths and qualities of that car and I wouldn't hesitate to own another one.
I saw a bunch of new A4s today and they are very bland and look like any Audi sedan the last decade. The rear and sides are very feminine to me. Its certainly not ugly but very unimaginative. I much prefer this model, even if half the car is painted.

Looks
C class
Lacross
A4
TSX

Old 11-01-09, 09:27 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new A4 from a design point of view, but in this comparison I feel it has nothing on the Acura or Mercedes. I guess I am one of the few people who likes the new Acura beak grille.
Old 11-01-09, 10:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Audi shown in the photos is the base model. The Premium Plus comes with nicer rims and the LED headlights, and the Prestige comes with more eye candy and larger rims.
Having driven the new C and experiencing it's plain dash and interior, I'd pick the A4 but with the mid-grade package and wood trim. Speaking of wood trim, Acura no loner offers it on any TSX. Cheeeeeeeeeeap.
Old 11-02-09, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Audi shown in the photos is the base model. The Premium Plus comes with nicer rims and the LED headlights, and the Prestige comes with more eye candy and larger rims.
Having driven the new C and experiencing it's plain dash and interior, I'd pick the A4 but with the mid-grade package and wood trim. Speaking of wood trim, Acura no loner offers it on any TSX. Cheeeeeeeeeeap.
On the A4, one can also add a $2000 S-line package that makes the car look much better. Overall, the A4 have the best standard option package and IMO is the best buy out of the four cars, 2nd would be the Buick and then the C-class and the TSX.
Old 11-02-09, 05:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Other than the $35K,to me,the LaCrosse isn't in the same catagory as the other cars.More ES 350 and G37 sedan-ish.
Old 11-02-09, 06:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I know the article was showing cars <$35K, but I like to see the price as tested shown as well. It gives an idea of what each car would really list for with some popular options added
Old 11-02-09, 06:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DustinV
I couldn't agree more, and am with Mike in saying that the old A4 was actually a lot better looking. I am an Audi fan, as are many of us here, but I really think that they dropped the ball with the new A4. The exterior is plain unless dressed up in expensive S4/S Line trim, which is a surprise considering how handsome the rest of the Audi lineup is. The car requires big wheels and accents to look good because by itself it looks more bland than even the Passat.

I'm also not impressed with the powertrains or pricing for the car. 2.0T can reach into the mid-$40K range (which is ridiculous, IMO) and the S4 is priced in line with the IS F and M3. They need to come down on pricing and reintroduce the 3.2L option at around 290hp.

Overall Audi really failed with this generation, IMO.