Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Nissan Altima commercial, poor marketing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 08:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 2010 Nissan Altima commercial, poor marketing?

I dislike companies that make their customers look like fools.
Don't know if you've seen it yet, but the commercial shows the facelifted Altima driving around over rim-bending potholes, the driver dinging it's door, and banging the fender. The catch is "Love Hurts" and shows the reactions of the owners as they experience the damage.
So did Nissan ever stop to think it's making it's clientele look like fools who can't take care of their possessions? What's to stop someone from associating these types of people with those who buy Nissans? I can't see how that is good marketing. Would Porsche be showing their cars getting damaged when driven home from a dealership? Wouldn't a car company want to portray their models attracting smarter, classier, and richer people?
The way Nissan has it, they are making their customers look like they don't have control of their lives and should be driving a piece.
Old 11-01-09, 08:10 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol have you seen half of the altimas of the last body style on the road
Old 11-01-09, 08:11 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the point of the commercial?

I agree with you that it's weird of them to do that... unless the point of the commercial is to say their cars are more resistant to every day damage like dings and scratches? I don't think that's true (though infiniti does have that 'self healing' clear coat)... but it'd make sense then at least.
Old 11-01-09, 08:13 PM
LexFather

Lol, you watching the World Series
I've seen the ad too a few times and I don't think its a good one. To me the touch ups help the looks and it got some interior updates. The one that is completely true is the Altima parked at the end and he hits his door, b/c they take up all the good spots for some reason. That was pretty accurate

Its not a bad ad to me but I'd rather them focus on the cars improvements.

Old 11-01-09, 08:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the point of the commercial was to emphasize their JD power initial quality award.

despite being abused by dumbasses, the car still stands. initially.

i don't think it's poor marketing. I think it's pretty targeted. Most altima drivers are clumsy like that. same goes for the camry moms who always run their wheels into curbs.
Old 11-01-09, 08:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the point of the commercial was to emphasize their JD power initial quality award.

despite being abused by dumbasses, the car still stands. initially.

i don't think it's poor marketing. I think it's pretty targeted. Most altima drivers are clumsy like that. same goes for the camry moms who always run their wheels into curbs.
I took the point of the commercial as the painful reaction an owner has when an item they love gets damaged. Hence the song, "Love Hurts." But maybe I missed the point of it all.

You said it though... "most Altima drivers are clumsy." It seems to me Nissan is admitting the same thing in the commercial. Don't see how that is a positive thing.
Old 11-01-09, 08:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I just saw the commercial again. There's definitely a dual theme. One is the JD Power quality thing. The other is the horror an owner feels when it gets damaged.
Old 11-01-09, 09:24 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

As someone who works in the advertising business, I can tell you that most commercials these days lack a solid and promising message. It seems to be a "disease" that is affecting advertising worldwide. When I watch TV here in Germany I am appalled (well, I used to be, not anymore...) at the empty commercials that are shown over and over again.

For the most part I feel that advertising in this day and age has slumped into a kind of "we need to remind you that we are still here" phase. This means that most advertisements and commercials out there are now primarily focusing on telling the consumer that brand X is still around and that they should give it a try. How this is achieved doesn't really matter, as long as the recognizable logo and brand name appear at the end.

There are still great advertisements and commercials out there, but they're few and hard to find. In terms of automotive advertising I find Volkswagen to have some great spots here in Germany. They're funny, understandable and easy to remember (which is important in this business because a product that the consumer remembers can lead to an eventual sale) and they have a clear message, too. Fiat, Renault and Citroen also have commercials which I personally find very effective. The use of humor, facts and information is carefully balanced and presented in a quick manor and the consumer can't help but remember the message.

Some of the worst commercials belong to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota, Kia, Opel, Hyundai etc., which fall under the "reminder category". I especially despise (yes, despise) the Toyota commercials with the new Avensis. It basically shows the Avensis traveling in slow motion and inside are two famous German celebrities, Oliver Kahn and the national trainer of the handball team and they smile at each other - and then the screen goes black, the Toyota logo appears together with some information about the car. Ineffectiveness at its best. We don't know what this advertisement was trying to tell us. To a creative person the message might be clear, but to the masses out there the message doesn't come across. Both passengers are happy with the car - that's the message - and a rather a weak and ineffective message. Many cars can make you happy: so what is so special about the Avensis? Is it the performance? The design? We simply see two smiling persons driving in slow motion in the new Avensis but the commercial in effect tells us nothing. A similar commercial formula also exists for countless other brands out there. It has to be said that celebrity advertising has pretty much lost its effectiveness in Europe a long time ago.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic.
Old 11-01-09, 09:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DustinV
As someone who works in the advertising business, I can tell you that most commercials these days lack a solid and promising message. It seems to be a "disease" that is affecting advertising worldwide. When I watch TV here in Germany I am appalled (well, I used to be, not anymore...) at the empty commercials that are shown over and over again.

For the most part I feel that advertising in this day and age has slumped into a kind of "we need to remind you that we are still here" phase. This means that most advertisements and commercials out there are now primarily focusing on telling the consumer that brand X is still around and that they should give it a try. How this is achieved doesn't really matter, as long as the recognizable logo and brand name appear at the end.

There are still great advertisements and commercials out there, but they're few and hard to find. In terms of automotive advertising I find Volkswagen to have some great spots here in Germany. They're funny, understandable and easy to remember (which is important in this business because a product that the consumer remembers can lead to an eventual sale) and they have a clear message, too. Fiat, Renault and Citroen also have commercials which I personally find very effective. The use of humor, facts and information is carefully balanced and presented in a quick manor and the consumer can't help but remember the message.

Some of the worst commercials belong to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota, Kia, Opel, Hyundai etc., which fall under the "reminder category". I especially despise (yes, despise) the Toyota commercials with the new Avensis. It basically shows the Avensis traveling in slow motion and inside are two famous German celebrities, Oliver Kahn and the national trainer of the handball team and they smile at each other - and then the screen goes black, the Toyota logo appears together with some information about the car. Ineffectiveness at its best. We don't know what this advertisement was trying to tell us. To a creative person the message might be clear, but to the masses out there the message doesn't come across. Both passengers are happy with the car - that's the message - and a rather a weak and ineffective message. Many cars can make you happy: so what is so special about the Avensis? Is it the performance? The design? We simply see two smiling persons driving in slow motion in the new Avensis but the commercial in effect tells us nothing. A similar commercial formula also exists for countless other brands out there. It has to be said that celebrity advertising has pretty much lost its effectiveness in Europe a long time ago.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic.
How would you rate this Nissan commercial?
Old 11-01-09, 09:32 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
How would you rate this Nissan commercial?
I've not seen it since I am working and living in Germany. Is it on Youtube by any chance? I can't really rate it without seeing it first.

From what I've heard in this thread, I would first of all rank the commercial in the "reminder" category. "Hi, we're Nissan. This is our Altima and owners love it. if you don't have one, please check it out sometime at your local Nissan dealer", seems to be the message (naturally).

The message, however, appears to be not as clear as intended. Again, I need to see it to understand it. I need to see what the visual scenery is like and the I need to hear the audio, too.
Old 11-01-09, 09:45 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY7131PfQto

Done. I'm interested in what DustinV has to say.
<~~(Business student)

Personally, it seems like they are trying to relate with what many people face in their daily drive. Although, I agree with what was said above about how it makes Altima drives seem careless, sadly it describes many drivers today. With their target audience being set, they then move on to selling Altima's high build quality and what not.

I'm a finance major so my analysis may be a bit off...

Last edited by MrIan; 11-01-09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DustinV
I've not seen it since I am working and living in Germany. Is it on Youtube by any chance? I can't really rate it without seeing it first.

From what I've heard in this thread, I would first of all rank the commercial in the "reminder" category. "Hi, we're Nissan. This is our Altima and owners love it. if you don't have one, please check it out sometime at your local Nissan dealer", seems to be the message (naturally).

The message, however, appears to be not as clear as intended. Again, I need to see it to understand it. I need to see what the visual scenery is like and the I need to hear the audio, too.
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/...ial/3811043210
Old 11-02-09, 11:21 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TruenoHatchiRok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY7131PfQto

Done. I'm interested in what DustinV has to say.
<~~(Business student)

Personally, it seems like they are trying to relate with what many people face in their daily drive. Although, I agree with what was said above about how it makes Altima drives seem careless, sadly it describes many drivers today. With their target audience being set, they then move on to selling Altima's high build quality and what not.

I'm a finance major so my analysis may be a bit off...
Thanks for the link.

Now that I have seen it, I don't find it as bad as originally presented in this thread. It's not brilliant by any means, but the message is clear and simple to understand. Nissan (Altima owners in this case) love their Nissans and appreciate the quality and the car. The potentially damaging situations presented in the commercial are a reference to the

What is important when producing such commercials is the target market. The target market are the people you are trying to influence and thus the commercial has to be understandable to them and it has to appeal to them. I know absolutely nothing about Nissan customers so I am going to go ahead and formulate a thesis. Nissan consumers are no-nonsense simple people who expect a good product for little money. In that sense, the commercial does the job.

Good luck in your studies.
Old 11-02-09, 01:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the commercial to be lame and annoying.
Old 11-02-09, 01:17 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I dislike companies that make their customers look like fools.
Don't know if you've seen it yet, but the commercial shows the facelifted Altima driving around over rim-bending potholes, the driver dinging it's door, and banging the fender. The catch is "Love Hurts" and shows the reactions of the owners as they experience the damage.
So did Nissan ever stop to think it's making it's clientele look like fools who can't take care of their possessions? What's to stop someone from associating these types of people with those who buy Nissans? I can't see how that is good marketing. Would Porsche be showing their cars getting damaged when driven home from a dealership? Wouldn't a car company want to portray their models attracting smarter, classier, and richer people?
The way Nissan has it, they are making their customers look like they don't have control of their lives and should be driving a piece.
Sound like you miss the hold point of the commercial. I actually don't like Nissans cars but I think it's an ok commercial. It shows that their cars are durable.

Quick Reply: 2010 Nissan Altima commercial, poor marketing?