Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Blew my R8 engine.......AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 12:23 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
May I ask where you got your crystal ball from, that can predict the future ?

Please don't list paper specs, as those do not indicate *real-world* performance.
Paper specs is pretty much all that we have right now about both cars.

Here's the very first real-life 0-60 mph test of the R8 V10: http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and...o_60_time.html
Old 11-04-09, 12:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Paper specs is pretty much all that we have right now about both cars.

Here's the very first real-life 0-60 mph test of the R8 V10: http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and...o_60_time.html
Then we don't know *yet* how both cars perform. How a car performs usually entails real-world proof of the car's performance.

Since the LFA is not out on the market yet, and has not been compared to the R8 V10 or any other vehicle, we cannot conclusively say how it will perform.

Lexus also has a disclaimer regarding current LFA specs, that they are preliminary and may change without notice, since the specs are based on pre-production cars.
Old 11-04-09, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Performance on paper do not tell the whole story. You can buy a 4 sec car for around a $100000 if you wanted to. How it handles at high speed, quick maneuvers and everyday drivability is what set apart the high price cars. There is also refinement, styling and the wow factor.
Old 11-04-09, 12:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Let me also add, most of the "first-drive previews" of the LFA, with pre-production LFAs being driven have barely made mention to the R8 or GT-R. The various journalists and mags have all been comparing the LFA to supercars in higher classes and having higher prices.
Old 11-04-09, 12:42 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Then we don't know *yet* how both cars perform. How a car performs usually entails real-world proof of the car's performance.

Since the LFA is not out on the market yet, and has not been compared to the R8 V10 or any other vehicle, we cannot conclusively say how it will perform.

Lexus also has a disclaimer regarding current LFA specs, that they are preliminary and may change without notice, since the specs are based on pre-production cars.
Word for word, 'All images and specifications are current at the time of publication and subject to change without notice.' That means that as of today, the information posted on the website is accurate. As of today, the LFA and the R8 perform roughly the same on paper... and there's no reason not to believe that they won't in a real life comparisons. Supercars generally have the same real-life specs as they do on paper, I know this from experience.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 'wow' factor of the LFA is much higher than that of the R8 V10... but performance wise, supercars are always hardly worth the money, even when we're talking about a Veyron.
Old 11-04-09, 12:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Many here on CL will also tell you from experience, that Lexus paper specs are usually understated and in real life the cars perform better.

Paper specs cannot tell you about the handling, high-speed stability, or braking of a vehicle for example. That can only be known from real-world testing.

On paper yes the R8 V10 and LFA have similar straight-line performance. Handling and braking I am sure will differ, as will high-speed stability and cornering.

You're right, supercars are not about value, so there is no sense even bringing up the discussion of value or performance-for-price when it comes to true supercars.
Old 11-04-09, 12:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
There is no doubt in my mind that the 'wow' factor of the LFA is much higher than that of the R8 V10... but performance wise, supercars are always hardly worth the money, even when we're talking about a Veyron.
I am not sure about that, there seem to be more buzz when the R8 1st came out than the LAF.
Old 11-04-09, 12:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

everyone gets back on topic please, which actually is "blew my R8 engine". anything else either take it to pm, post in the relevant thread, or create your own. anything else further OT will be removed. thanks
Old 11-04-09, 02:34 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

^No kidding. Slightly OT is one thing, arguing on someone's thread is another.

biggie, are there other R8's that are having trouble with the 130 degree Kuwaiti weather and dust? It's hard for me to believe that you've just had bad luck and have had 2 lemon engines that died after less than 10k miles. Perhaps there are environmental factors that are causing their early deaths.

Either way, I think asking for a new car is not out of line, particularly if you're going to pay a little more and upgrade to a V10. I wouldn't want to have to sell your car and try to explain why you're on engine number 3.
Old 11-06-09, 05:19 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
^No kidding. Slightly OT is one thing, arguing on someone's thread is another.

biggie, are there other R8's that are having trouble with the 130 degree Kuwaiti weather and dust? It's hard for me to believe that you've just had bad luck and have had 2 lemon engines that died after less than 10k miles. Perhaps there are environmental factors that are causing their early deaths.

Either way, I think asking for a new car is not out of line, particularly if you're going to pay a little more and upgrade to a V10. I wouldn't want to have to sell your car and try to explain why you're on engine number 3.

yes there are 3 other cars that have had there engines replaced with acouple of others experiencing tranny issues, all the ones that are having tranny issues have the r-tronic transmission, alittle update on the car, they have run some tests and have sent the results to germany for analysis with a sound clip of the engine hoping to get an answer from them on saturday and im gonna setup a meeting with the distributor of Audi in Kuwait on saturday too, as I have baught an R8 and an A5 from him in the past year and a half and im planning to buy the V-10 if he agree's to buy back my car so hopefully we will have this issue resolved in the next week or so.....crossing my fingers, as for the LF-A i cannot justify the price just because its a limited run car, the plan is to buy a mclaren in the next 2-3 years depending on the economic situation.....and my economic situation in the next couple of years :P
Old 11-06-09, 06:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Biggie, is it because you guys beat the carp out of your cars down there?
Old 11-06-09, 09:17 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this car to drive it not to keep it garaged, but i dont beat on it, Its only seen 2 track days and has been launched 4 times only.......not all of us have unlimited supply of money to beat on our cars