Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

October 2009 Official Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 06:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmmmm. Subaru, one of the best kept secrets until now. Good for them.
Old 11-03-09, 06:58 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to clublexus CJ!

I love both genesis's but the bottom line is they expected to sell 50k of both and its not even close

in all honesty I want them to sell! Hyundai needs to step up with more effective marketing!
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/20/h...rid-coming-in/

20k for sedan, and 30k for coupe.

i think the coupe is a huge disappointment sales wise. my neighbor just bought a camaro, and he didn't even know genesis coupe existed. if the 4banger was priced 19k-24k than it would help the sale, but it's about 3k more than it should be.
Old 11-03-09, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Suburu is doing it big! I think everyone is surprised.

I wonder if the Camaro is hurting the genesis coupe? The mustang is new and the challenger sold over 2500 units.

Old 11-03-09, 07:15 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

My neighbor just got the genesis coupe in black, the 3.6 model with the red brembos. it does looks sweet, but the interior is not up to par
Old 11-03-09, 07:19 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Suburu is doing it big! I think everyone is surprised.

I wonder if the Camaro is hurting the genesis coupe? The mustang is new and the challenger sold over 2500 units.
definitely, but i think price is hurting gen coupe more. it's about 3k more than it supposed to be. 4banger needed to be priced like tiburon. my local dealers have several 4bangers and all of them were over 25k.

Rspec should be a good addition, but it doesn't even have a cruise control. hyundai needs to start throwing 3-4k rebates to move the car.

Last edited by joe80; 11-03-09 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 07:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=arqjeV6rpmVk

Toyota’s Lexus Expands Lead Among U.S. Luxury Models (Update1)
By Alex Ortolani

Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus said U.S. sales rose 20 percent in October, increasing its lead on Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s namesake brand among luxury models.

Deliveries rose to 19,502 vehicles for Lexus, the Toyota City, Japan-based automaker said today. BMW, second in luxury sales, fell 19 percent to 16,443, the Munich-based company said.

Lexus and Daimler AG’s third-ranked Mercedes-Benz gained on BMW in October. BMW lost ground as unemployment and low consumer confidence have tempered sales of high-end vehicles, said Christopher Hopson, an analyst with IHS Global Insight.

“Consumers are still showing some fiscal austerity right now and may still be cautious until we see better footing,” said Hopson, who is based in Lexington, Massachusetts. “Luxury sales should rise with the economy.”

BMW’s lower sales also reflected limited inventory of 2010 models, which began arriving at dealerships in mid-October October, the company said in a statement.

The results were a second double-digit gain for Lexus after it posted a 12 percent U.S. sales increase in September, while BMW rose 2.1 percent, compared with weak year-earlier results. Lexus sold 168,910 vehicles in the U.S. this year through October, ahead of BMW’s 160,666.

Mercedes-Benz gained in October, with its name brand climbing 21 percent to 18,193 vehicles, the Stuttgart, Germany- based parent company said.

The gain came from “a more stable economic environment relative to last year” and new products such as the GLK-Class sport-utility vehicle, Ernst Lieb, president of the Mercedes- Benz’s U.S. division, said in a statement.

Audi, Lincoln Fall

Volkswagen AG’s luxury Audi division said sales fell 1.1 percent to 7,358 vehicles. Volkswagen, based in Wolfsburg, Germany, said the decline was because of the introduction of a new A4 sedan in October 2008.

Ford’s Lincoln line dropped 9 percent to 6,735 vehicles, the Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker said in a statement. The automaker’s total sales gained 3.1 percent in the month.

General Motors Co.’s Cadillac sales rose 22 percent in the month to 11,602 vehicles, the automaker said on its Web site.

High-end vehicle sales will probably rise more in December than the year-earlier month because of a steep drop from the slowing economy in 2008, Hopson said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Alex Ortolani in Southfield, Michigan, at aortolani1@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: November 3, 2009 17:25 EST
Old 11-03-09, 08:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
definitely, but i think price is hurting gen coupe more. it's about 3k more than it supposed to be. 4banger needed to be priced like tiburon. my local dealers have several 4bangers and all of them were over 25k.

Rspec should be a good addition, but it doesn't even have a cruise control. hyundai needs to start throwing 3-4k rebates to move the car.
The prices on new Hyundai models in the past few years have been too high.
Old 11-03-09, 09:17 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

infiniti might as well close up shop

only 4000 cars sold. that is just abysmal.

i wonder if they'd sell more cars if they lowered their msrp by 3000.
Old 11-03-09, 09:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
infiniti might as well close up shop

only 4000 cars sold. that is just abysmal.

i wonder if they'd sell more cars if they lowered their msrp by 3000.
Infiniti sold exactly 4425 cars for the month. Acura sold 4965, not much better. Both brands are struggling.

The Lexus ES alone alone roughly matched Infiniti car sales and was very close to outselling all Acura cars for the month.
Old 11-03-09, 09:47 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol @ dunnojacks' sig
Old 11-03-09, 09:55 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...really...can anyone please tell me why Dodge still exists and why our governments bailed out a company that makes cars that people clearly don't want???

The RX is amazing and the sales are showing it as such. I'd love to link all the quotes from those doubting it...but that would take up half the page.

Also amazed at the new E class. 6000+ units...that's almost RX/3 series territory.

Anyone else see the huge jump in X6 sales??? I guess it's finally catching on.
Old 11-03-09, 11:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Edmunds.com Reports True Cost of Incentives, October 2009 ...

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/11/...10-models.html

Old 11-03-09, 11:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think the 2011 infiniti M will be a sales flop.

the reaction toward it was the same as the infiniti EX. and look at how the EX is doing....
Old 11-03-09, 11:24 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Business Week
Oct. 23--A little more than a year ago, Acura rolled out a redesigned TL sedan, the vehicle that was supposed to invigorate sales and clarify the brand's identity.

The timing couldn't have been much worse for the Honda-owned luxury brand.

About that point, the auto industry began its historic sales slump, and the new Acura wasn't immune. Sales of the TL, built in Marysville, were down 27 percent through September.

"It wasn't a good time to introduce any car, really," said Ed Kim, director of industry analysis for AutoPacific, a research group in Tustin, Calif. "Given that the car was scheduled to launch last year, there was nothing they could do about it but try to make the best of it."

Despite the poor sales, Acura officials say they have plenty to feel good about.

They say the TL's sales outperformed many other vehicles in the entry-level luxury segment, and they are confident that the TL's design and engineering advances will lead to strong sales once the economy recovers.

"I think things have gone pretty well," said Jeff Conrad, Acura's vice president for sales.

Dealers sold 25,882 of the redesigned TL from January to September, compared with the 35,659 sold last year over the same period.

Acura will fall far short of the 70,000 in annual sales it set as a goal for the TL last year, before the scope of the recession was known. That level would have represented a return to the TL's sales level from just a few years ago.

Conrad says that any fair assessment of the TL must acknowledge the treacherous market conditions.

"In that environment, I'm fairly happy," he said.

Acura was launched in the mid-1980s as an upmarket brand for Honda. The TL was introduced in the mid-1990s and became the brand's flagship.

Central Ohio has a vested interest in Acura's success. The TL and the RDX crossover are assembled in Marysville, so disappointing sales have a ripple effect for Honda and for the hundreds of local parts suppliers that are involved in the production.

The new TL was part of a line-wide redesign for Acura, with a chrome front grille and more-muscular styling. The automotive media generally praised the vehicle's engineering but had mixed feelings about the styling.

One of Acura's goals was to make its image more sporty, said Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst for Edmunds.com. She thinks the response to the vehicle has fallen short of the manufacturer's goals.

"They had some high hopes for this vehicle," she said. "It's no secret that Acura has been struggling for the last few years."

AutoPacific's Kim thinks Acura executives are on the right track when they try to give the brand a more distinctive identity. But he thinks the mission is far from accomplished.

"I'm not sure they're going far enough in differentiating their brand," he said.
So the TL is at barely 50% of it's sales goal but they are feeling good? By the numbers, the TL is the 8th best seller, and didn't seem to outsell too many in the entry-level luxury segment.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-03-09 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 11:55 PM
LexFather

I swear to Zeus's nipples I am so freaking tired of Acura sounding like asses in the news. I am tired of them being in the news. Here they are "spinning" what most people with any common sense knows.

The 4th gen TL is a complete failure and utter disaster.

Acura execs are completely disillusioned and continue to show the public they are clueless. They are acting like the TL was the only new car launched in an economic crisis. They continue to only blame the economy. Funny but the TL can't outsell MUCH OLDER vehicles in its class. We are not talking about a 10 or even 20% drop. We are talking a 35-40% drop in sales. Last month was a 45% drop in sales. I cannot remember the last time I saw the TL sell under 3,000 units in a month. Mind you, October was a VERY strong month this year for many auto brands.
Last year, Lexus acknowledged "we have some quality issues" and is fixing them. When Carlos Ghosen got the job at Nissan he told his team "WE are the problem" when they tried to blame outside factors.

Acknowledging YOU are the problem is the first step. Acura continues to not do that.

The first gen TL didn't do much for Acura but the 2nd gen did when they moved production to Ohio to cut costs and decided to make it for the American market. To their credit they got it right, the car sold well, the price was cheaper than the competition and you got a loaded car.
The third gen came and really put the TL on the map as one of the all around greats. The styling was one of the main reasons it sold so well inside and out. It also was value priced and was the best selling Acura sedan ever.
The fourth gen is slightly more refined but no faster and more expensive and much uglier. WTF?

Last edited by LexFather; 11-04-09 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: October 2009 Official Sales Thread