Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

October 2009 Official Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 06:36 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Definitely agreed.

Of course the coupe counts, WHY ELSE would Hyundai name the coupe the Genesis coupe and not the Tiburon? Obviously Hyundai has positioned the coupe to be part of the Genesis line, and also combining sales with the sedan makes both the coupe and sedan sales look better than they really are, despite the coupe and sedan being two distinctly different products.
assumption at its best. No one knows why hyundai named BK a genesis coupe. maybe hyundai is hinting a new luxury brand? maybe they couldn't think of a better name? maybe it was just too good to be called a tiburon?

who knows...

anyway, hype doesn't always translate to sales. but hype does help the brand's perception. these two cars are worthy of massive hype. it's great friggin cars. if you haven't driven one go ahead and try it. you wouldn't believe how far hyundai has come. genesis won the most awards, and gen coupe held its own against many great cars. both of these cars aren't perfect, but it's a sign of a promising future. these two cars brought nothing but positive for hyundai. just think about it. before these two cars, they were just a value brand with boring lineups.
Old 11-04-09, 07:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
assumption at its best. No one knows why hyundai named BK a genesis coupe. maybe hyundai is hinting a new luxury brand? maybe they couldn't think of a better name? maybe it was just too good to be called a tiburon?

who knows...

anyway, hype doesn't always translate to sales. but hype does help the brand's perception. these two cars are worthy of massive hype. it's great friggin cars. if you haven't driven one go ahead and try it. you wouldn't believe how far hyundai has come. genesis won the most awards, and gen coupe held its own against many great cars. both of these cars aren't perfect, but it's a sign of a promising future. these two cars brought nothing but positive for hyundai. just think about it. before these two cars, they were just a value brand with boring lineups.
Assumption, based on common sense.

Yes, the Genesis coupe and sedan are the best thing since sliced bread, and they are monumental products for Hyundai, we get it .
Old 11-05-09, 09:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default October 2009 Japan sales

Top 10 sales - Japan

1. Toyota Prius - 31,728
2. Honda Fit - 17,241
3. Toyota Vitz - 12,731
4. Toyota Passo - 10,792
5. Honda Insight - 10,289
6. Honda Freed - 9,123
7. Nissan Note - 9,091
8. Nissan Serena - 8,827
9. Nissan Cube - 7,632
10. Toyota Wish - 7,468
Old 11-05-09, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Top 10 sales - Japan

1. Toyota Prius - 31,728
2. Honda Fit - 17,241
3. Toyota Vitz - 12,731
4. Toyota Passo - 10,792
5. Honda Insight - 10,289
6. Honda Freed - 9,123
7. Nissan Note - 9,091
8. Nissan Serena - 8,827
9. Nissan Cube - 7,632
10. Toyota Wish - 7,468
Damn the Prius is outselling the Insight 3 to one there.
4 Toyotas
3 Hondas
3 Nissans. The 3 Nissans don't equal Prius sales either.

Old 11-05-09, 09:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Damn the Prius is outselling the Insight 3 to one there.
4 Toyotas
3 Hondas
3 Nissans. The 3 Nissans don't equal Prius sales either.
Even in the Japanese market, the Insight is flopping in comparison to the Prius. Insight sales are way below expectations, Honda must be very disappointed.

Toyota has been by far, number one in sales, market share, influence, etc. in Japan for a long time. Honda historically was usually number two, but a few years ago they lost their 2nd place in the market to Nissan and dropped to 3rd, but regained it not that long ago. It's still very close between Nissan and Honda though in the Japanese market.
Old 11-05-09, 12:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow. The Prius sales are just as good as the Camry's here. Thats pretty huge!
Old 11-05-09, 12:20 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Even in the Japanese market, the Insight is flopping in comparison to the Prius. Insight sales are way below expectations, Honda must be very disappointed.
TRDFantasy,

In relation to the Pruis, sure the Insight in Japan and in the states is not selling well, but the original sales goal for the Insight in Japan was 60,000 units. The Insight is currently doubling it's sales goal in Japan. They are nowhere near their US goals though.
Old 11-05-09, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

- Fact: the Genesis is nowhere close to meeting Hyundai's sales goals.
fact: i don't care.

- Fact: the Genesis is one of the lowest selling cars in it's price range, and in the entry-level luxury class.
the first part, when you say 'one of', by the same logic you could say ALL but the highest selling are the lowest selling, but whatever, the FACT is you think hyundai has failed with the genesis and i don't.

the second part is your opinion, i don't consider it 'entry level'. it's rwd and offers a V8, making it more GS (only better value) than ES (a buick that works).

Yes goals are just that, goals but this is not the first time Hyundai has had lofty and unrealistic goals and it is not the first time they've failed to meet their goals. This is failure for Hyundai because *once again* they have inaccurately predicted demand for one of their products and have incorrectly judged the market. If a company continually makes unrealistic sales goals and never learns from their mistakes that is very clearly failure.
um, yeah, ok. have you run a business or done sales forecasting or marketing?

When the coupe came out, there was BIG hype about it, including hype from certain CL members that shall remain nameless, but they know who they are.
nice put down of, whoever they are, , but whatever.

Acura, Infiniti, Audi would "love" to have Genesis sales? What are you talking about? Even the Acura TL, which is struggling sales-wise right now, outsold the Genesis coupe and sedan combined and will CONTINUE to outsell the Genesis coupe and sedan most likely in the future. That shows just how BAD Genesis sales are. The Infiniti G sedan alone outsold the Genesis line, and the Audi A4 had sales almost double that of the Genesis line for October.
absurd comparisons IMO because those vehicles have been on the market for a decade or more, and gone through many iterations and are sold by dedicated luxury brands. plus a TL isn't comparable to a genesis. but keep drinking the koolaid. see, i don't care about hyundai's projections, i only care about your beloved 'facts', and to sell ANY significant amount of a NEW luxury car, under a brand not known for it, in one of the worst economies in memory, is IMO, remarkable. but you see it as an epic failure, so okay.

- Fact: C-Class, E-Class, and M-Class accounted for 69% of Mercedes sales
- Fact: the Infiniti G *alone* accounted for 60% of Infiniti sales
- Fact: 3 Series, 5 Series, and X5 accounted for 82% of BMW sales
- Fact: A4, A5, and Q5 accounted for 73% of Audi sales

- Based on my calculations, for the month IS, ES, and RX accounted for 81% of Lexus sales, not 85%. Not sure where you got 85% from.
ok, somehow i miscalced on lexus, so lexus is similar to bmw in 3 models accounting for 4/5ths of sales. while nothing to weep about, and given the age of the other models i'm sure lexus doesn't expect much more.

I won't even bring up the fact that GX inventory is almost non-existent because the 2nd-gen GX is about to go on-sale in about 2 months or so.
but you did bring up the fact.

So in summation, what exactly is your point?
how's that charm school going?

you think the genesis is a failure, because it hasn't met hyundai's announced sales projections, and i don't.

have a nice day.
Old 11-05-09, 02:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the second part is your opinion, i don't consider it 'entry level'. it's rwd and offers a V8, making it more GS (only better value) than ES (a buick that works).
Price range is not opinion, the car's price range is fact. It is a FACT that the Lexus GS is in a different price range. It is also a FACT that the Genesis price range puts it squarely in the entry-level luxury segment.

um, yeah, ok. have you run a business or done sales forecasting or marketing?
Yes, I have. Why does this matter in this discussion?

absurd comparisons IMO because those vehicles have been on the market for a decade or more, and gone through many iterations and are sold by dedicated luxury brands. plus a TL isn't comparable to a genesis. but keep drinking the koolaid. see, i don't care about hyundai's projections, i only care about your beloved 'facts', and to sell ANY significant amount of a NEW luxury car, under a brand not known for it, in one of the worst economies in memory, is IMO, remarkable. but you see it as an epic failure, so okay.
In size, price range, interior volume, market segment, the TL is very comparable to the Genesis, as is the Infiniti G37 sedan.

You did a great job contradicting yourself, because here you said earlier:

acura, audi, infiniti would love to have genesis sales "failure".
So are these "absurd" comparisons, and is the TL not comparable, or would Acura, Audi, and Infiniti love to have Genesis sales? Which is it ?
Old 11-05-09, 02:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
TRDFantasy,

In relation to the Pruis, sure the Insight in Japan and in the states is not selling well, but the original sales goal for the Insight in Japan was 60,000 units. The Insight is currently doubling it's sales goal in Japan. They are nowhere near their US goals though.
There have been some months where the Insight in Japan has sold under 10,000 units a month. They are above their sales goal currently, but they are not doubling their sales in Japan.
Old 11-06-09, 07:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

In size, price range, interior volume, market segment, the TL is very comparable to the Genesis, as is the Infiniti G37 sedan.
G37 yes, TL no. i don't believe ANYONE would cross shop the TL and the Genesis. the Genesis competes more with RL than TL. but let's just agree to disagree and drop it.

You did a great job contradicting yourself, because here you said earlier:
nothing contradictory - my point is, those luxury brands, given their (low) sales levels today, would love to have another model or two in their line-up that sell 1500 units a month. they'd love to add such a 'failure' to their numbers.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-07-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 08:34 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G37 yes, TL no. i don't believe ANYONE would cross shop the TL and the Genesis. the Genesis competes more with RL than TL. but let's just agree to disagree and drop it.
What's your reason(s) behind that statement?

I am just curious because I would think it's the other way around, more people cross shop Genesis and TL than Genesis and G37.
Old 11-06-09, 08:36 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I don't think the Genesis and RL get cross shopped because no one is shopping for the RL
Old 11-06-09, 09:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I don't think the Genesis and RL get cross shopped because no one is shopping for the RL
They might be shopping...Just not buying.
Old 11-06-09, 12:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

39 GS hybrids, and 21 LS hybrids were sold for the month.

That is a huge jump actually for GS hybrid sales compared to October 2008. LS hybrid sales are down, but that is to be expected as almost all vehicles in the prestige luxury segment are down.

Also 1,407 Camry hybrids and 700 Highlander hybrids were sold for the month.

It's quite amazing, but after the Prius the best-selling hybrids from Toyota were the HS and the RX hybrid for the month.

Quick Reply: October 2009 Official Sales Thread