Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 07:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just think that BMW has a different philosophy than other companies when it comes to interior design. The dash is flat and somewhat un-inviting as it doesn't really curve around the driver or passenger, but rather curves away.

Lexus is relatively traditional with wood, leather, soft touch surfaces, pleasing waterfall center stack, inviting dash.

Audi is high tech and somewhat cold and industrial, but well built with great details.

Mercedes is a mix of things as awful as the C and GLK but as nice as the S (though I can't stand the dash) so I am really not sure where they stand.

BMW is first and foremost a performance brand so that is why, IMO, there are less "frills" than something like a Lexus. It's functional and simple, but really not much more. I think the problem for most people is that when dishing out $5-$15K more than a comparable Lexus we are often expecting the interior to be even more luxurious and lavish, but that is not what BMW is about.

Even with that said I do think that BMW could do something to spice up their interiors a bit, and the 5GT seems to be a step in the right direction. I personally don't like the somewhat cold and austere feel that a Bimmer interior typically gives but that is just my preference. It's all about what the buyer is looking for.

There is, for one thing, a lot more wood in the new 5 GT than other Bimmers.
Old 11-04-09, 07:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Interior material quality is not a problem with the 5 series, it’s the design. Lexus and Audi both use less wood but have nicer interior. That extra $15000 in premium BMW charges should be more than enough to cover their performance edge. All other factors being the same, BMW's interior should at least be equal to Lexus and Audi.
Old 11-04-09, 07:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Interior material quality is not a problem with the 5 series, it’s the design. Lexus and Audi both use less wood but have nicer interior. That extra $15000 in premium BMW charges should be more than enough to cover their performance edge. All other factors being the same, BMW's interior should at least be equal to Lexus and Audi.
A few things I disliked about the 335's interior was it was bland,pop out of dash cupholders were terrible and lack of interior storage compartments.All you really had was a glove compartment that the BMW manuals vinyl package couldn't even fit in.
Old 11-04-09, 07:54 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

For the most part, there haven’t been any major changes in the BMW's interior in a long time, except for the I-drive which is a disaster. BMW need some kind of signature design in the interior to stand out from the crowd, much like their kidney grill in their exterior. It’s a shame too, the material used in the 5 and 7 series are pretty good, but it’s just wasted in a dated design.
You obviously haven't been in a new BMW with the updated/improved iDrive.
It is a huge leap forward, and much better than MMI or COMMAND. The only system that is easier to operate and is more intuitive is Remote Touch from Lexus.
Old 11-04-09, 07:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't disagree with you, but that's the reason you bought an Audi, I bought a Lexus, and Sean bought a BMW. Interior design is one of the highest things on my priority list which was one of the main reasons that I bought my car. For Sean, I would imagine that he cares a little less about what the inside of his car looks like but is more interested in how it drives and performs. It's a matter of preferences and trade offs. In buying a GS I know I was giving up some driving pleasure and performance, but in return I got a car that has never been in for unscheduled maintenance and has a beautiful, high quality, timeless interior. I have a friend who has a prev gen M3 and the thing is in the shop once a month and the interior is quite drab, but all he ever talks about is what an amazing drive it is.

I do think that BMW's interiors could be a bit better looking (esp for the price) but again, a BMW probably won't be on the radar for my next purchase (for a variety of reasons), so what does my opinion count?
Old 11-04-09, 07:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
It is a huge leap forward, and much better than MMI or COMMAND. The only system that is easier to operate and is more intuitive is Remote Touch from Lexus.

I agree.The '09 iDrive system worked well and was pretty easy to use.
I like a dial more than touch screen.The Lexus voice system in the '10s works much better,though.
Old 11-04-09, 08:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I was playing around with the new i-drive no more than 2 months ago when my wife was shopping for her car. Yes it has improved, but it basically just copy Audi's MMI design with the 4 buttons in the corner. Sad for BMW is that Audi have just release a 3rd gen MMI which is now better than the new I-drive.
Old 11-04-09, 08:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I just think that BMW has a different philosophy than other companies when it comes to interior design. The dash is flat and somewhat un-inviting as it doesn't really curve around the driver or passenger, but rather curves away.

Lexus is relatively traditional with wood, leather, soft touch surfaces, pleasing waterfall center stack, inviting dash.

Audi is high tech and somewhat cold and industrial, but well built with great details.

Mercedes is a mix of things as awful as the C and GLK but as nice as the S (though I can't stand the dash) so I am really not sure where they stand.

BMW is first and foremost a performance brand so that is why, IMO, there are less "frills" than something like a Lexus. It's functional and simple, but really not much more. I think the problem for most people is that when dishing out $5-$15K more than a comparable Lexus we are often expecting the interior to be even more luxurious and lavish, but that is not what BMW is about.

Even with that said I do think that BMW could do something to spice up their interiors a bit, and the 5GT seems to be a step in the right direction. I personally don't like the somewhat cold and austere feel that a Bimmer interior typically gives but that is just my preference. It's all about what the buyer is looking for.

There are a lot of "frills" inside of BMW's.. The frills are more integrated & not so "in your face" as others.. My 335 for example has a heated steering wheel, ipod integration heated seats, pdc & other frills that would be hard to decipher just by looking at the photos. The interior is tight and it makes the driver feel like one with the vehicle.. The dash design does not "curve away from the driver.. The controls are within easy reach and does not require one to stretch to push a button or turn a dial.
Old 11-04-09, 10:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There are a lot of "frills" inside of BMW's.. The frills are more integrated & not so "in your face" as others.. My 335 for example has a heated steering wheel, ipod integration heated seats, pdc & other frills that would be hard to decipher just by looking at the photos. The interior is tight and it makes the driver feel like one with the vehicle.. The dash design does not "curve away from the driver.. The controls are within easy reach and does not require one to stretch to push a button or turn a dial.
The frustrating design of pop-out cupholders also gets in your way, especially if you're a passenger. Yes the interior is "tight" and the car feels solid, but that doesn't change the fact the interiors are very plain design-wise and are too minimal. Audi is a great example of minimal interiors done right.

Some cars have too many buttons or too many obvious distractions. The "frills" and distractions are hidden in BMW interiors, you're right. Unfortunately, that makes it a problem when you *DO* want to use those distractions and frills while driving, since some of them are hidden in frustrating ways and can be annoying to access.

IMHO, a great car interior needs to have minimal distractions for the driver, while at the same time offering easy access to it's frills and features when the driver does intend to use them. BMW interiors do not offer that.
Old 11-04-09, 10:33 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The frustrating design of pop-out cupholders also gets in your way, especially if you're a passenger. Yes the interior is "tight" and the car feels solid, but that doesn't change the fact the interiors are very plain design-wise and are too minimal. Audi is a great example of minimal interiors done right.
There were pop out cup holders in our old RX330 that we loved.

Some cars have too many buttons or too many obvious distractions. The "frills" and distractions are hidden in BMW interiors, you're right. Unfortunately, that makes it a problem when you *DO* want to use those distractions and frills while driving, since some of them are hidden in frustrating ways and can be annoying to access.

IMHO, a great car interior needs to have minimal distractions for the driver, while at the same time offering easy access to it's frills and features when the driver does intend to use them. BMW interiors do not offer that.
These comments only apply to test drives and not actual ownership. Having any amount of significant seat time in any of these vehicles will allow efficient and seamless operation of all the bells and whistles.

This is no different than the 3rd stalk on our Mercedes. When I first drove it, I was like wtf?....but now, I don't even notice it.

I do not disagree that the BMW and MB interiors are more spartan than other luxury interiors, but make no mistake, they are functional. The materials are of good quality and what is most appealing is that they offer you choices.

I can get 6 different colors of wood or carbon fiber and just as many choices for interior upholstery. What's even nicer is you can combine just about any color to your preferences? Why doesn't Lexus offer these choices?

I frankly can't stand the red wood in most Lexus cars and would love to see options like the piano black that is available to JDM, or carbon fiber, or even a darker chocolate brown. Where I can get two or three options from Lexus, I can get dozens from MB or BMW. Why is that?
Old 11-04-09, 10:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

What is hidden and annoying to access? I indicated that the frills are integrated..

Have you been behind the wheel of a BMW? What is the basis of your asessment?
I can tell you that mine is based on actual ownership.
Old 11-04-09, 10:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The interior is tight and it makes the driver feel like one with the vehicle..
It’s not the interior that makes the driver feel at one with the BMW, it is the performance and the steering feel. The BMW's interior is actually uninviting and feels cold. It’s funny that every time someone criticize BMW's interior, a BMW owner would post of a pic of a BMW with a light beige interior. Light beige actually make the BMW's interior somewhat acceptable, but I challenge someone to post a pic of a 5 year old light beige interior. It just doesn’t wear well unless you detail it very often.
Old 11-04-09, 11:10 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

It’s not the interior that makes the driver feel at one with the BMW, it is the performance and the steering feel. The BMW's interior is actually uninviting and feels cold. It’s funny that every time someone criticize BMW's interior, a BMW owner would post of a pic of a BMW with a light beige interior. Light beige actually make the BMW's interior somewhat acceptable, but I challenge someone to post a pic of a 5 year old light beige interior. It just doesn’t wear well unless you detail it very often.
Ok. Since you asked.

2003 X5 4.4i with 238 000 km on her. The leather held up amazingly well with only some minor wear spots on the driver side seat and it wasn't detailed regularly. Don't get me wrong....the seats were completely uncomfortable and I wasn't a fan of this interior...but your statement is wrong, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share-2003x5interior1a.jpg   Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share-2003x5interior1b.jpg   Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share-2003x5interiordoor1a.jpg  
Old 11-04-09, 11:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I posted pics of my own vehicles and nothing more. Sure the steering & suspension makes the driver feel like one with the vehicle... It is tightness/solidity of the interior that brings it all together. As far as the leather, I mentioned the differences between vat-dyed & sprayed on leather.

The BMW leather has a natural feel & texture.. It does not look & feel "processed" Leather has a grain to it like the human skin. Take a look at the black (in my case )/white side of your hands.. Natural cow skin has the same grainy appearance.. I love natural leather.. As far as wear, these hides do not wear as fast as say Lexus leathers.
Old 11-04-09, 11:16 AM
LexFather

BMw are not known for interiors. Audi and Lexus are. BMW is known for their sport. I much prefer the older drivers oriented interiors but that is a personal preference. BMW went to the "living room" interiors to cut costs as they are easier to manipulate for different markets (LHD/RHD). I have never felt a BMW interior though wasn't solid or well built, I always respected how the door closed with a solid thunk.

Quick Reply: Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share