Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 01:59 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

He's referring to media/glamor shots vs. something that looks like its taken from someone's digi cam
Old 11-04-09, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
I must be part of the minority, but I actually respect and enjoy the design of BMW interiors. They are understated, elegant, if a bit minimalist. It's a nice tradeoff that I enjoy. Looking at a lot of older Lexus interiors, they are the essence of bland and don't wear well to the test of time. For instance, the previous LS interior...it looks outdated already, and plain jane to boot.

Also, can somebody explain to me why Toyota throws in a digital clock from the Corolla on every Lexus model? I
THe LS 430 is regarded as one of the best laid out and quality filled interiors of any car. A lot of people prefer it to the LS 460.

Thanks for the Corolla jab. I could care less about the clock, most consumers don't either. I find the cute analog clocks in some other cars ridiculous ornaments.
Clocks don't make or break interior design and are not deal breakers.

Hmmm, watch like gauges, escaine seats, far from bland. The IS 300 interior was called one of the most different and interesting around.

The last GS optitron gauges were a first and the way the wood swept around the console was a first, far from bland

The RX in 1999 was the first to have a information screen so high and again, sweeping wood

The ES 330 interior was beautiful, not bland

The SC 430 interior is not bland and its an older Lexus

There might be some examples of Lexus interiors lacking style but not ALL of them.

Old 11-04-09, 02:53 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe LS 430 is regarded as one of the best laid out and quality filled interiors of any car. A lot of people prefer it to the LS 460.

Thanks for the Corolla jab. I could care less about the clock, most consumers don't either. I find the cute analog clocks in some other cars ridiculous ornaments.
Clocks don't make or break interior design and are not deal breakers.

Hmmm, watch like gauges, escaine seats, far from bland. The IS 300 interior was called one of the most different and interesting around.
Well, it may be "regarded" by the internet and publications and one thing, but I'm just stating my opinion. To me, it's "regarded" as bland and vanilla, and lacks the attention to detailing that went into some other top luxury sedans. Doesn't mean it's cheap, because the LS has alway shad luscious quality in all of the materials, but the design aesthetics is another thing altogether.

For the clocks, it's a valid point. It looks tacky in a luxury automobile. I'm not suggesting analog clocks (though ones from vehicles such as the latest S-Class look brilliant, especially at night), but just relocating or even changing the display to look a little more sophisticated and elegant.

And the IS300..well suffice to say I've owned one of these cars. I am not going to agree with you here as it's my position the car was essentially a tarted up Altrezza. Every essence of the car screamed Toyota, because it was. The interior quality was not up to snuff with what BMW or Audi were doing at the time (though still managed to embarrass the pathetic C-Class of the time). It never felt like a luxury car, and those gauges were never ergonomic or easy to "gauge". At least the car drove well, again, better than the C-Class, IMO.
Old 11-04-09, 03:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Well, it may be "regarded" by the internet and publications and one thing, but I'm just stating my opinion. To me, it's "regarded" as bland and vanilla, and lacks the attention to detailing that went into some other top luxury sedans. Doesn't mean it's cheap, because the LS has alway shad luscious quality in all of the materials, but the design aesthetics is another thing altogether.

For the clocks, it's a valid point. It looks tacky in a luxury automobile. I'm not suggesting analog clocks (though ones from vehicles such as the latest S-Class look brilliant, especially at night), but just relocating or even changing the display to look a little more sophisticated and elegant.

And the IS300..well suffice to say I've owned one of these cars. I am not going to agree with you here as it's my position the car was essentially a tarted up Altrezza. Every essence of the car screamed Toyota, because it was. The interior quality was not up to snuff with what BMW or Audi were doing at the time (though still managed to embarrass the pathetic C-Class of the time). It never felt like a luxury car, and those gauges were never ergonomic or easy to "gauge". At least the car drove well, again, better than the C-Class, IMO.
Most Lexus models for the past few years have had a "blue" digital clock, as opposed to the green clock found on Toyota models.

The LFA also has no digital clock to speak of. The time in the LFA interior is shown on the LCD gauge cluster. If the LFA is an indication of future Lexus "clock design", it is a good sign.
Old 11-04-09, 03:32 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Not to mention "Leatherette" VINYL on a $30K plus car? Is the Euro that far ahead of the dollar. The Germans are cutting corners everywhere just to stay competitive.....I don;t mind leather looking vinyl but don't charge me a premium for it....

The ruler straight dash with the lump for the speedo gages is just boring and hasn't changed in years. See the Infiniti ,Honda and even the Malibu for styled interiors with some nice "curves"......
Old 11-04-09, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Sometimes I wish, raindrops would fall........

Old 11-04-09, 05:38 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Hyundai kind of proved, with the Genesis, that luxury and high quality materials needn't be related to an astronomical price-tag. The German brands need to go back to the drawing boards.
Old 11-04-09, 05:43 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Hyundai kind of proved, with the Genesis, that luxury and high quality materials needn't be related to an astronomical price-tag. The German brands need to go back to the drawing boards.
Hyundai had to price the Genesis low because they have 0 prestige of any kind. The Germans can get away with astronomical prices because people will still line up to buy them no matter what. The unseen prestige element will always be on the Germans side and that's how Mercedes can sell over 6000 $50+K E classes in one month.
Old 11-04-09, 05:50 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Hyundai had to price the Genesis low because they have 0 prestige of any kind. The Germans can get away with astronomical prices because people will still line up to buy them no matter what. The unseen prestige element will always be on the Germans side and that's how Mercedes can sell over 6000 $50+K E classes in one month.
I wholeheartedly agree with you... however, the Genesis has the prestige brands thinking twice about overpricing.
Old 11-04-09, 06:05 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I wholeheartedly agree with you... however, the Genesis has the prestige brands thinking twice about overpricing.
I honestly don't think the Genesis is affecting prestige brand's pricing strategies. I'm not even sure if they care let alone see the Genesis as a real threat. Look at Genesis sales. They pale in comparison to prestige brands. The only ones who are probably worried are brands like Acura and Infiniti. Both Acura and Infiniti's only advantage in the luxury sector was price, but the Genesis beats both on price per content.
Old 11-04-09, 06:48 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I guess we will only see who is right when Hyundai stops being lazy and actually goes forward with releasing a prestige brand. They say it would require an entirely new network of dealerships... but I think that they could easily get away with selling the cars out of Hyundai dealerships, like most Infinitis are.
Old 11-04-09, 07:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well there has been some debate as to whether the Genesis sedan actually has material quality that matches the German brands and Lexus. I've only sat briefly in a Genesis sedan so I can't say how the material quality actually matches up.
Old 11-05-09, 07:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
2002 vs. 2002. (?)
I think that 2002 Lexus interior looks better than the 2010 BMW pricture. Of course you look at a picture of a 2002 BMW's interior, it would look like its from 1995
Old 11-06-09, 05:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

One thing I BMW deos well is rim designs, they have some of the nicest rims on the market. Now if they can only design their interior as nice as their rims.
Old 11-06-09, 05:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
One thing I BMW deos well is rim designs, they have some of the nicest rims on the market. Now if they can only design their interior as nice as their rims.
True and so many styles available to choose from too.

Quick Reply: Audi taking a bite into MB and BMW's market share