Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More bailout money for GM

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 08:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default More bailout money for GM

The Obama administration said last week that it is currently in talks to provide a third bailout package to GM, which might be as hight as 5.6 billion dollars.

Am I the only one who is getting sick of the administration giving away tax payer's money for big cooperation that do not plan to pay it back. Will the US government give me a bailout package if my small business fail?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009102...m-bailout-fund
Old 11-04-09, 08:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this happens I think there may be some serious mutiny...
Old 11-04-09, 08:21 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If this happens I think there may be some serious mutiny...
Wishful thinking.

Pathetic company that should have been allowed to fail last year. There is no way they are meeting any of the agreed terms of the original bailout. We aren't going to see any of this money back. They also now owe the German gov't $1.5B after backing out of the Opel/Magna deal.
Old 11-04-09, 08:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The government should have just let these big cooperation fail. They are too big and too inefficient. When a big company like this fails, many more smaller ones will pop up and some will success. To keep a big comapny like GM alive with endless tax payer's money just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 11-04-09, 08:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its all about getting union votes for the next election, is all.
Old 11-04-09, 08:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

I want some bailout money.
Old 11-04-09, 08:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Another bailout for GM blows.
Old 11-04-09, 08:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Obama administration said last week that it is currently in talks to provide a third bailout package to GM, which might be as hight as 5.6 billion dollars.

Am I the only one who is getting sick of the administration giving away tax payer's money for big cooperation that do not plan to pay it back. Will the US government give me a bailout package if my small business fail?

that's the thing, they are big, you are small. sigh...
Old 11-04-09, 08:44 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The government should have just let these big cooperation fail. They are too big and too inefficient. When a big company like this fails, many more smaller ones will pop up and some will success. To keep a big comapny like GM alive with endless tax payer's money just doesnt make sense to me.
I couldn't a agree with you more.
Old 11-04-09, 08:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

People have been furious about what has happened thus far, and if the govt makes a move to hand GM one more cent I really think taxpayers are going to go bazerk.
Old 11-04-09, 09:08 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its all about getting union votes for the next election, is all.
That is the truth right there. GM could have failed. They would liquidate all supplies, their factories would be bought up by other companies, and their suppliers would just shift product to other companies.

As for their Union workforce, with the bankruptcy of the company it would be nullified, and those people could perhaps either work for another manufacturer NOT under a union or sit on their asses at home getting nothing. There are plenty of people out there who would do their mindless repetitive job for half of what union workers were earning, just to make a buck and be happy with it.
Old 11-04-09, 09:14 AM
LexFather

The issue is they own GM so of course they want to NOT see it fail, thus more money going into what they own.

Sad really....as GM shows no true signs of making returning to profitability. I'm not talking one good month of sales here...

Old 11-04-09, 09:25 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

It's sad when even car enthusiasts like ourselves think feel we should let a car company fail. I love this country, but sometimes I just can seem to understand how our politicians could give a rat's a** about public reaction. Obama may bet the unions votes, but he's going to have hell to pay in a few years when we're out billions of dollars and he wants to be re-elected.
Old 11-04-09, 09:36 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sick of it too.

All this money could have been used to prop up small businesses who employ most people in the country. Last week CIT (the largest small business lender) declared bankruptcy and I assume this will result in even fewer loans to small businesses thereby resulting in more unemployment.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The issue is they own GM so of course they want to NOT see it fail, thus more money going into what they own.

Sad really....as GM shows no true signs of making returning to profitability. I'm not talking one good month of sales here...
Sadly I agree with you that since we have a huge stake in GM we have to keep injecting money to protect our interest in the company

Taking a stake in these bailed-out companies is now coming back to bite us and I doubt we will ever see a return on our "investment".
Old 11-04-09, 09:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

Pile is getting small, better add more cash to it

Quick Reply: More bailout money for GM