Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 01:21 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agreed, at least with a recommendation of the GLK.

Since it's derived from current C-class, reliability should be acceptable.
I checked what Consumer Reports said about the GLK and they gave it an "above average" rating for predicted reliability. It's probably the best choice
Old 11-06-09, 01:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I checked what Consumer Reports said about the GLK and they gave it an "above average" rating for predicted reliability. It's probably the best choice
GLK so far is the best selling small premium cute-ute in the US.

The GLK is derived from the current C-class (model year 2008-on) which is much better in terms of reliability and quality over most Benz's of the last decade.
Old 11-06-09, 02:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I spent considerable time autocrossing the Q5 and let me say, it's does not drive like an SUV one bit. It cornered, handled, and drove very much like a sport sedan. To say I was impressed is an understatement. If I was in the market for a new SUV, this would be my hands down first pick. Other pluses was the artful and modern interior (in typical Audi fashion), very comfortable seats, surprisingly large rear cargo area, tons of safety features, punchy power from the V6, and decent fuel mileage to boot. Again, very very impressived, and I am not a fan of SUV's at all.
Old 11-06-09, 02:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Q5 was the best handling of the cute Suvs that we test drove but surprisingly the Vovo XC60 was almost as good. The MB GLK was very cheap looking inside and out, not nearly as nice as the C-class.
Old 11-06-09, 04:04 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bring out this 400hp beast and we might do business Audi

The steering & suspension still need tweaking on the Q5. Test it out OP..
Old 11-06-09, 04:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Bring out this 400hp beast and we might do business Audi
Sadly, they offer that 3.0 liter supercharged engine in the Euro version of the Q5 with S-Tronic transmission. Somebody tell Audi they are suppose to ship the good stuff here in the USA Athough they are going to make a Hybrid version of the Q5 for the US market in the 2011 model year.
Old 11-06-09, 05:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I spent considerable time autocrossing the Q5 and let me say, it's does not drive like an SUV one bit. It cornered, handled, and drove very much like a sport sedan. To say I was impressed is an understatement. If I was in the market for a new SUV, this would be my hands down first pick. Other pluses was the artful and modern interior (in typical Audi fashion), very comfortable seats, surprisingly large rear cargo area, tons of safety features, punchy power from the V6, and decent fuel mileage to boot. Again, very very impressived, and I am not a fan of SUV's at all.
after driving the q7 aggressively, i can only imagine how well the q5 handles
Old 11-06-09, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's my personal review of the Q5, done last February on an early-production model. This should give you a pretty good idea of what it is like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...9-audi-q5.html

The early-production version I drove had a rather jumpy throttle, which, I understand, may have been smoothed out in later models.

I also reviewed the Q7 a few years ago, but it is an older, shorter, less-comperehensive review without images, so I won't post it, except by request.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 11:05 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waaah holy crap, that's the engine from the new Audi S4 (B8).

That thing is gonna rocket.

@anyways
Originally Posted by The G Man
About the same price as a RX, as far as I know, there is no wide spread problem with the new Q5. It is into its 2nd year of production already, in Europe, its been around longer than US. Audi dumb down the US version to make it more reliable, such as using the 3.2L engine thats been around for a while and using a conventional tranny instead of using the S tronic dual-clutch transmission which shifts much quicker but its a lot more complicated.
Last time I heard, Audi is running the Q5 line in Germany 24 hours a day to try to meet demand, but the stock in our local Audi dealer is still very thin.
I see.

What we get here instead is the 2.0 TFSI engine with S-tronic dual clutch gearbox. I think it produces 200+ horses (which is more than enough for Philippine traffic conditions). Anyways, our dealership allows for selecting other variants (like the 3.2 FSI V6 + tiptronic like you guys have there in Stateside)......but unfortunately, the waiting time for special intent order is three months. For diesel variants, the waiting time is six months.

Either way, it's still a solid premium SUV hehe.

Anyways, if you guys were to choose, what would you pick:
A) Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI S-tronic
B) MB GLK 280 4-MATIC
C) Volvo XC60 D5 diesel AWD

What's your pick?
Old 11-07-09, 08:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
B) MB GLK 280 4-MATIC

What's your pick?

The 2.0 TFSI lacks a bit in HP but the S-tronic makes up for it somewaht with faster shifting. The MB GLK you really have to see it in person, the interior was almost as bad as the X3. The Volvo XC60 is a nice car, not a big fan of the tail lights and the water fall center concole. My biggest concern is Volvo will be own the Chinese soon.
Old 11-07-09, 09:53 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Waaah holy crap, that's the engine from the new Audi S4 (B8).

That thing is gonna rocket.

@anyways

I see.

What we get here instead is the 2.0 TFSI engine with S-tronic dual clutch gearbox. I think it produces 200+ horses (which is more than enough for Philippine traffic conditions). Anyways, our dealership allows for selecting other variants (like the 3.2 FSI V6 + tiptronic like you guys have there in Stateside)......but unfortunately, the waiting time for special intent order is three months. For diesel variants, the waiting time is six months.

Either way, it's still a solid premium SUV hehe.

B) MB GLK 280 4-MATIC

What's your pick?
The Volvo and Mercedes would be the most reliable and diesels in general are more reliable than petrol vehicles (and more fuel efficient). If those 3 were my choices I think I would lean toward the diesel Volvo.
Old 11-07-09, 10:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The Volvo and Mercedes would be the most reliable and diesels in general are more reliable than petrol vehicles (and more fuel efficient). If those 3 were my choices I think I would lean toward the diesel Volvo.
We are not talking about a Lexus here, The Volvo and the MB is as reliable as Audi an most of the German cars, about average. If reliability is a concerned, none of these SUV on his list should even be considered.
Old 11-07-09, 03:28 PM
LexFather

it's a total chick flick cute ute.

Old 11-07-09, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
GLK so far is the best selling small premium cute-ute in the US.
You wouldn't consider the Lexus RX350 in this class? The RX handily outsells all of the German utes.
Old 11-07-09, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You wouldn't consider the Lexus RX350 in this class? The RX handily outsells all of the German utes.
No. They are all cute -utes and the size of the 1999 1RX. The 3RX is larger and more sophisticated. Clearly there is a market for both but the GLK and Q5 are dominating the segment now (to be fair once led by the X3). The EX and RDX never caught on for whatever reason.

Of course marketers and biased magazines want people to think otherwise, but wise consumers are not fooled. We all know the RX outsells all of them together times 2.5.

And of course my "chick car" was me being funny at G-man.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5?