Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New MyKey system is standard in the 2010 Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 08:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New MyKey system is standard in the 2010 Taurus

"Ford Motor Co. is trying to give parents of teen drivers some peace of mind - or at least a sense of control.

The Detroit-based automaker has introduced MyKey, a feature which allows parents to program their car’s top speed, limit the radio’s volume and shut off the music if the seatbelt is unbuckled.

With a few presses of a button on the dashboard, parents can limit their teen driver’s top speed to 80 miles per hour, set the sound system not to exceed 44 percent of its total volume and even regulate seatbelt usage with a chirping monitor. MyKey is standard in the 2010 Taurus and Focus models and is expected to be introduced soon to other Ford lines."

http://bostonherald.com/business/aut...&position=also

It sounds like a great idea, as a parents of a teenager who is about to get his license in 2 year, the Ford SHO is starting to look better and better
Old 11-06-09, 08:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Great idea! I'd limit them to 70 though
Old 11-06-09, 09:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
"Ford Motor Co. is trying to give parents of teen drivers some peace of mind - or at least a sense of control.

The Detroit-based automaker has introduced MyKey, a feature which allows parents to program their car’s top speed, limit the radio’s volume and shut off the music if the seatbelt is unbuckled.

With a few presses of a button on the dashboard, parents can limit their teen driver’s top speed to 80 miles per hour, set the sound system not to exceed 44 percent of its total volume and even regulate seatbelt usage with a chirping monitor. MyKey is standard in the 2010 Taurus and Focus models and is expected to be introduced soon to other Ford lines."

http://bostonherald.com/business/aut...&position=also

It sounds like a great idea, as a parents of a teenager who is about to get his license in 2 year, the Ford SHO is starting to look better and better
scary really...
Old 11-06-09, 09:08 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Limiting speed limits, hmm I coulda sworn I was talking about this before, glad to see it's finally being implemented. Hopefully the idea is a big hit and works, and other companies adopt those features.
Old 11-06-09, 09:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

This is one of the best idea I have seen in a while, especially from an American car company.
Old 11-06-09, 10:24 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thing to hear
Old 11-06-09, 10:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems reasonable enough.
Old 11-06-09, 11:08 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

too bad my speeding tickets as a teenager were for doing 50 in a 35....
Old 11-06-09, 11:17 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh... all I can say is my first car was a 1990 Taurus and I wouldn't have nearly the great memories of being a 16 year old as I do today because that car wasn't limited by anything but its 140 horsepower V6 and soft suspension.
Old 11-06-09, 03:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Heh... all I can say is my first car was a 1990 Taurus and I wouldn't have nearly the great memories of being a 16 year old as I do today because that car wasn't limited by anything but its 140 horsepower V6 and soft suspension.
My brother had a SHO company car. I got one ticket in it (illegal passing), but went to court and had the fine reduced because of sloppy documentation by CHP and the judge was nice enough not to submit conviction to DMV, therefore zero points.

That SHO had one sweet motor (smooth, powerful, sounded great)!
Old 11-06-09, 04:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I would imahine this new SHO's engine is completly different. The last one was made by Yamaha if I remember right. This one is made in the good old USA.

Last edited by The G Man; 11-06-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 04:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would imahine this new SHO's engine is complaetly different. The last one was made by Yamaha if I remember right. This one is made in the good old USA.
Yes, no similarity, except high-performance output.
Old 11-06-09, 04:33 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Going to go against the grain here and say I'm against this.

Most of the trouble the teen can get into with the car can still happen with the speed limited. Realistically, what are you going to limit the speed to? Are you going to limit the speed such that the teen can't go on the highway? Well that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not to mention, if you really need to put all kinds of restrictions on your teen, maybe you should be doing something differently.
Old 11-06-09, 06:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
Going to go against the grain here and say I'm against this.

Most of the trouble the teen can get into with the car can still happen with the speed limited. Realistically, what are you going to limit the speed to? Are you going to limit the speed such that the teen can't go on the highway? Well that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not to mention, if you really need to put all kinds of restrictions on your teen, maybe you should be doing something differently.
I agree, it's not the top speed that gets you in trouble but the acceleration getting their, and during my high school years, more then enough kids crashed cars and killed themselves on local roads.
Old 11-07-09, 08:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I agree, it's not the top speed that gets you in trouble but the acceleration getting their, and during my high school years, more then enough kids crashed cars and killed themselves on local roads.
Its pretty tough to get kill going 35 MPH in the city these days with all those airbags in the new car. If half of the death from automotive accidents are from high speed crashes, then this system will save a lot of lives.

Quick Reply: New MyKey system is standard in the 2010 Taurus