Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Extreme Dimensions.com stole my pictures for advertisement. I need advices.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 07:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what are you going to do??? I dont see what the big deal is. Do you expect them to pay you to use your picture. We all know they make knock offs so they are going to have to steal a picture from somewhere. It is what it is
Old 11-08-09, 08:08 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i would definitely tell them to remove the pictures and that they can no longer use any of your pictures unless you give them the approval. it's your pictures and your copyright.

this is so pathetic, companies stealing the design of a kit, knock it off, and even steal other people's pictures

This is what I wanted to do and am going to do. To some people this is not a big deal but for me I must do the minimum and go from there. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-08-09, 09:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

This isn't really a big deal when you think about it.

If you want them to take it off, call them and they will.

If you want them to pay you a royalty for using your picture, attempt that but they will probably take the picture off anyway.

Either way, you're not getting much out of it. I say, just let them use it, at least your car is getting exposure being on their site. Afterall, isn't that the point in fixing up your car? to get more attention?
Old 11-08-09, 09:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

wikipedia contacted me and ask CL if it's OK to use my photo on their website. I authorized it, and that's proper.
Old 11-08-09, 09:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wonder how they will respond when he calls. I would ask them to remove the picture and take another shot from another person with a real Ings kit. If its not you its going to be someone else . The result will be the same so I figure it might as well be your car
Old 11-08-09, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
what are you going to do??? I dont see what the big deal is. Do you expect them to pay you to use your picture. We all know they make knock offs so they are going to have to steal a picture from somewhere. It is what it is
stealing is ok? stealing is no big deal? speechless

if it were my car i wouldn't want it to be associated with them in any way at all, even if they pay me. money can't buy me
Old 11-09-09, 01:06 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Keep in mind that unless they violated cardomain's policies or your image is copyrighted, what they did isn't illegal.
No, no, no - it's still very much illegal. It just may not be actionable in a court of law. These are very different.

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
well, I am pretty sure they did not get the following CL members' permission as well. Check it out:

http://www.extremedimensions.com/9258.html

This one belong to CL member garcia2 and the picture was stolen from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...not-white.html

http://www.extremedimensions.com/9257.html

This one belong to CL member DEV. Can't find his post to reference the picture, but I know DPRsupra bought his Rezax wheels and rominl got his kit

http://www.extremedimensions.com/9131.html

This one belong to CL member NACNAC. Can't find his original post but here is the link to his car (post #13: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...like-best.html

I don't think I need to do or say more right?
We should consider notifying these members that their images are being used by this website, although the decision to do so should probably be left to CL administrators.
Old 11-09-09, 01:32 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Typical...

First screen shot all their pages that have your pics for evidence.

And I will say this as I have had my images stolen too.
Any part of a photograph is intellectual property of the artist (yes photography is considered art) ,so taking wheels or parts from photos is in the eyes of the law illegal and as you say, those people have every right to sue. Any photograph or peice of art is property of the artist regardless of if they register or not , meaning as soon as it goes on the world wide web regardless of watermark or not it is the property of the artist and to make things more confusing if the photograph or work of art is registered as copyright the amount for compensation can be huge as oppossed to the non-registered work which has a limit to how much one can recieve. In reality, this is very hard to enforce so most people do not bother. But anyone who has used a pic off the web of any sort without permission from the owner is in violation of the copyright law.

A few quotes to ponder.

Q. What works are protected by copyright?

A. Copyright protects original works of authorship that are fixed in tangible form. This includes photographs, literary works including non-fiction and fiction, letters, music as well as accompanying lyrics, sound recordings, pictorial, graphic and sculptural works, motion pictures, audiovisual works, computer software, and architectural works. Even such ordinary things such as simple letters, catalog descriptions and doodles are protected by copyright. The only essential condition that the law requires is that the work is original.
Q. How do I copyright my works?

A. A copyright originates at the moment a work is created. For a written work, the copyright comes into existence as the words are typed, printed, or saved to a computer disk. For a photograph, the copyright is created at the moment the image is developed. If a photograph is taken with a modern digital camera, the copyright originates at the time the image is saved on a computer disk or on a hard drive. As long as the work exists in tangible form or can be understood or reproduced with the aid of a machine, it is copyrighted.
Q. If I change a few things in a copyrighted work by adding or taking something away, am I guilty of copyright infringement?

A. Yes. The right to make derivative copies is reserved exclusively to the copyright owner. While the idea for a work of art can be copied, the expression of the idea is fully protected. Sometimes, it is difficult to differentiate between an idea and an expression because the idea can sometimes get lost in the expression.
You can do what ever you want, even though you may not have registered your works, you are still entitled to an amount of money if you feel it is worth the hassle. If not , write them a strong worded letter/email and have them take it down. But places like these need to know that they can't just take someones pics and use how they see fit.
Old 11-09-09, 05:50 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post Dave!!
Old 11-09-09, 08:04 AM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of websites have pictures of my Blue JIC SC300. I dont like it. I've always wondered what action I could take.
Old 12-07-09, 01:00 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

We were recently notified about this thread and I've sent a PM to the OP.
Old 12-07-09, 01:03 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

^^recently? I believe I told you a couple weeks ago on Toyota Nation lol -___-""""

Hope it all gets worked out between you 2