Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Extreme Dimensions.com stole my pictures for advertisement. I need advices.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 10:38 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extreme Dimensions.com stole my pictures for advertisement. I need advices.

First of all, Extreme Dimension sells knock off body kit.

I have authentic INGS+1 kit on my GS350.

Unfortunately, my pictures were stolen by Extreme Dimension for advertising purpose on their website (http://www.extremedimensions.com/11140.html) and others (http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...=96059&page=1; http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...t=96059&page=1)

Extreme Dimension stole my pictures from my signature link, photo-shopped couple wheels on my GS350 and removed my watermark. Now, the pictures are theirs for business profit. That is just wrong.

What would you do if you were me? I am open to any constructive suggestions.
Old 11-06-09, 11:04 AM
Swifty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

contact law enforcement fraud division. What they are doing is illegal, its called Misrepresentation.

"Misrepresentation refers to a statement made by a party to a contract that induces another to enter into a contract, which can be interpreted, as false or untrue. The misrepresentation must be both false and fraudulent, in order to make the party making it liable for damages.
Restatement (Second) of Torts § 552 defines a negligent misrepresentation as:
"One who, in the course of his business, profession or employment, or in any transaction in which he has a pecuniary interest, supplies false information for the guidance of others in their business transactions, is subject to liability for pecuniary loss caused to them by their justifiable reliance upon the information, if he fails to exercise reasonable care or competence in obtaining or communicating the information."
Old 11-06-09, 11:11 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by Swifty
contact law enforcement fraud division. What they are doing is illegal, its called Misrepresentation.

"Misrepresentation refers to a statement made by a party to a contract that induces another to enter into a contract, which can be interpreted, as false or untrue.
How did extreme _______.com (I won't print their name so they don't get more web traffic) misrepresent, based on what you quoted? There was no contract with which memaster was privileged to enter into.

Memaster, did you copyright the images? If you have enlisted copyright or engage in professional photography and sell your images, you could sue them after sending them a cease and desist. They will most likely comply, as it's not worth the trouble. Keep in mind that unless they violated cardomain's policies or your image is copyrighted, what they did isn't illegal. Immoral and stupid? Absolutely, but if those were crimes by themselves, we'd be on a different subject altogether.

Big Mack
Old 11-06-09, 12:55 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

this happens all the time. theres really nothing you can do unless the pics are copyrighted.

i never understood why people make a big deal of companies using their pics
Old 11-06-09, 01:29 PM
Swifty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Mack
How did extreme _______.com (I won't print their name so they don't get more web traffic) misrepresent, based on what you quoted? There was no contract with which memaster was privileged to enter into.

Memaster, did you copyright the images? If you have enlisted copyright or engage in professional photography and sell your images, you could sue them after sending them a cease and desist. They will most likely comply, as it's not worth the trouble. Keep in mind that unless they violated cardomain's policies or your image is copyrighted, what they did isn't illegal. Immoral and stupid? Absolutely, but if those were crimes by themselves, we'd be on a different subject altogether.

Big Mack
i guess i was looking at it from a broader view. If you opened an ad for Best Buy and saw a Sony TV for 1/2 the price. Then you went to buy it then later realized it wasn't an original Sony...yet their advertising shows a Sony TV, that would be misrepresentation. This is the same thing. A purchase is a contract.
Old 11-06-09, 01:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Even if your images are not professionally taken, and were not watermarked, you still retain their copyright as you took them. Companies cannot simply take photos off the web and use them for commercial purposes, they have to be properly licensed (free-use, GFDL, CC etc) to be used by another without paying a fee. If they did not get your permission to use your photos, what they are doing is illegal.
Old 11-06-09, 01:40 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack

Big Mack
Copyrights are automatically implied.
Old 11-06-09, 01:52 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Either tell them to remove the pics or offer to take payment for their use. Simple.
Old 11-06-09, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would definitely tell them to remove the pictures and that they can no longer use any of your pictures unless you give them the approval. it's your pictures and your copyright.

this is so pathetic, companies stealing the design of a kit, knock it off, and even steal other people's pictures
Old 11-06-09, 02:03 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Swifty
i guess i was looking at it from a broader view. If you opened an ad for Best Buy and saw a Sony TV for 1/2 the price. Then you went to buy it then later realized it wasn't an original Sony...yet their advertising shows a Sony TV, that would be misrepresentation. This is the same thing. A purchase is a contract.
No, that's bait and switch or false advertising. Misrepresentation is if they show you the Sony in person, have you check it to see it works, have you sign the paperwork, then give you a Piosonic. The contract stipulates Sony, yet you got the other.

Originally Posted by JonSC4
Yep. Now try to sue for them and see how far that gets you.

From here

Originally Posted by US Copyright info page
Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.
And I definitely agree. It sucks they did it.

Big Mack
Old 11-06-09, 03:03 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
this is so pathetic, companies stealing the design of a kit, knock it off, and even steal other people's pictures

they even put their own watermark on the photos as if it was theirs(duraflex)! i'd be super **** if it was my car.

extreme fake and crappy dimension
Old 11-06-09, 05:16 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Even if your images are not professionally taken, and were not watermarked, you still retain their copyright as you took them. Companies cannot simply take photos off the web and use them for commercial purposes, they have to be properly licensed (free-use, GFDL, CC etc) to be used by another without paying a fee. If they did not get your permission to use your photos, what they are doing is illegal.
Originally Posted by JonSC4
Originally Posted by rominl
i would definitely tell them to remove the pictures and that they can no longer use any of your pictures unless you give them the approval. it's your pictures and your copyright.

Copywrite or no, you always own your own pictures. I would be sending an email basically outlining how you didn't give them permission to post the pictures, give them like a week or something to take them down, if nothing happens contact your (or their) local PD.
Old 11-06-09, 05:18 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, I am pretty sure they did not get the following CL members' permission as well. Check it out:

http://www.extremedimensions.com/9258.html

This one belong to CL member garcia2 and the picture was stolen from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...not-white.html

http://www.extremedimensions.com/9257.html

This one belong to CL member DEV. Can't find his post to reference the picture, but I know DPRsupra bought his Rezax wheels and rominl got his kit

http://www.extremedimensions.com/9131.html

This one belong to CL member NACNAC. Can't find his original post but here is the link to his car (post #13: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...like-best.html

I don't think I need to do or say more right?
Old 11-06-09, 05:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
they even put their own watermark on the photos as if it was theirs(duraflex)! i'd be super **** if it was my car.

extreme fake and crappy dimension
yeah that's funny isn't it. how can you even put logic to it @_@
Old 11-08-09, 02:49 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
even if your images are not professionally taken, and were not watermarked, you still retain their copyright as you took them. Companies cannot simply take photos off the web and use them for commercial purposes, they have to be properly licensed (free-use, gfdl, cc etc) to be used by another without paying a fee. If they did not get your permission to use your photos, what they are doing is illegal.
this is fact

Quick Reply: Extreme Dimensions.com stole my pictures for advertisement. I need advices.