Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 12:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You are correct. There have been no changes to the ES350 from '07 thru '09 until the current cosmetic changes for '10.
Like I mentioned earlier, there DOES seem to have been some build-quality changes, on the 2008-2009 models, over the early-production 2007's. The later models not only felt more solid overall, but did not have the dash creaks/rattles that plagued the early models.

This, BTW, is not limited to Lexus. I noted the same thing with the last-generation Acura TL. The 2008-2009 TLs had a more solid feeling (and seeming better-quality interior materials) over earlier 2005-2006 models, even within the same generation, without a significant redesign. Mike (1SICKLEX) noticed the same thing with the last-generation TL on his reviews.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Thanks mmarshall for another detailed review
Sure, Andrew....anytime.

You can't really compare the ride of the ES vs, LS. The LS ride is smooth and soft but feels a lot more solid and less floaty, it feels more secure.
Even my mother noticed the difference right away when I drove her in a loaner ES350 vs. driving her in my LS460L.
The LS suspension, of course, is far more sophisticated than that of the ES......you're talking about a car that, with options, can run twice the $$$$ an ES does. The ES, even with the added stiffness of the 2007 and later models, is basically derived from the Camry platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 02:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I mentioned earlier, there DOES seem to have been some build-quality changes, on the 2008-2009 models, over the early-production 2007's. The later models not only felt more solid overall, but did not have the dash creaks/rattles that plagued the early models.

This, BTW, is not limited to Lexus. I noted the same thing with the last-generation Acura TL. The 2008-2009 TLs had a more solid feeling (and seeming better-quality interior materials) over earlier 2005-2006 models, even within the same generation, without a significant redesign. Mike (1SICKLEX) noticed the same thing with the last-generation TL on his reviews.
Some of it might be perception. Different drivers will see and hear things differently. I recently drove an '09 loaner while my car was in for the 3 yr/36k service and I didn't notice any difference between the cars. No creaks rattles etc. Mine was a lot cleaner though.
Old 11-08-09, 03:08 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Buick, with the new 2010 LaCrosse, however, is trying.....and, in some areas, has succeeded.
Even though Buick gets high marks from consumer groups for reliability, there is too much inconsistency in the quality of its dealers. If Buick produced a product equal to the ES350 in every respect, the perks (loaner car, comfortable waiting areas, etc.) and prestige of ownership would still not be the same as Lexus, nor would the resale value, even with its better warranty.

Possibly from strictly a product standpoint, the Lacrosse matches the ES350 in several respects, but as a whole, people buy Lexus and other premium brands for more than just the product. In my opinion, Buick has a way to go before they can be looked at as a tier one manufacturer.
Old 11-08-09, 03:34 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The firm ride (I wouldn't call it harsh) IS at least partly a tire issue, as, in 2007, the tire profile dropped from 60 to 55 (foolishly, IMO, as I pointed out earlier). Lower-profile tires, all else equal, generally have less impact-absorbing qualities in them and tend to transmit more of those impacts through the shorter sidewalls to the suspension, steering system, and body.

This, in the ES, was also multiplied by the additional stiffening of the suspension/shocks in the 2007 model to try and give the chassis more response, as the former ES330 was great for comfort but not much of a canyon-carver (another silly move, IMO, as the ES is not supposed to be a canyon-carver, but a comfortable cruiser).

These changes did work to stiffen things up at lower speeds, and to give good steering response and low body roll at those lower speeds, but, perhaps because Lexus chassis engineers are not as adept as those from BMW and Mercedes-Benz at achieving the ideal compromise under all conditions, allowed for progressively more body roll and less steering reponse as speeds increased, which, of course, put progressively more load on the suspension and tires. They is why BMW and Mercedes chassis engineers are so well-renowned.....they know how to design suspension components (and which tires to use) to achieve an almost-ideal combination of ride/handling combination across the board. BMW engineers, it is agreed, generally do chassis design better than those of any other make.

There is also the question of static vs. "active" (or variable) suspensions. Some suspensions can compromise ride vs. handling with electronically-adjustable components, and the GM Magna-Ride system even goes one step farther by the automatic (and constant) realignment of magnetic particles in the electronic shocks as cruise and cornering loads on them change split-second demands for damping. The ES, of course, lacks features such as these, and has to make do with the static system that the engineers gave it.
That static system, while not bad, is clearly not one of the better ride-vs.-handling compromises on the market.

We'll have to wait and see how much competition the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse gives it. The LaCrosse, despite somewhat lower interior-materials and sheet metal quality, has a lot to offer in the engineering department.
As always Mike, you have clearly supported your evaluations... I am 100% in sync....kudos!!
Old 11-08-09, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As always Mike, you have clearly supported your evaluations... I am 100% in sync....kudos!!

Thanks, Russ. Suspension/chassis enginering can be very complex, and it is often difficult for the engineers to get it right. On some race cars, for example, the crew chief and team mechanics sometimes fiddle with suspension settings and tires for weeks until they find the unique set-up needed for each driver....and track conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-09 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 10:50 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure the Camry/ES exhaust setup is a one-to-two split. I can see the split just by squatting behind the car. Nice review; although I no longer have my '08 ES, I am glad that Lexus is addressing most of the criticisms and other shortcomings of the early builds.
Old 11-09-09, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
I'm pretty sure the Camry/ES exhaust setup is a one-to-two split. I can see the split just by squatting behind the car. Nice review; although I no longer have my '08 ES, I am glad that Lexus is addressing most of the criticisms and other shortcomings of the early builds.
Thanks. I figured it was probably a split-pipe, as the ES is clearly not a sporting vehicle.

I'm not as young or agile as I used to be (I'm in my late 50's now), and, though I still sometimes crawl under vehicles to check out the underpinnings (like I did for the Ford F-150 Raptor a few weeks ago, as that truck is known for its tank-like chassis), I generally don't make a habit of it any more.
Old 11-09-09, 06:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks.
I'm not as young or agile as I used to be (I'm in my late 50's now), and, though I still sometimes crawl under vehicles to check out the underpinnings
Come on marshall, you mean you dont bring a Floor Creeper to your car reviews
Old 11-09-09, 07:47 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Thanks MMarshall for the wonderful review once again IMO your reviews are better than the content I read on automobile magazines these days keep them coming.
Old 11-09-09, 07:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
Even though Buick gets high marks from consumer groups for reliability, there is too much inconsistency in the quality of its dealers. If Buick produced a product equal to the ES350 in every respect, the perks (loaner car, comfortable waiting areas, etc.) and prestige of ownership would still not be the same as Lexus, nor would the resale value, even with its better warranty.

Possibly from strictly a product standpoint, the Lacrosse matches the ES350 in several respects, but as a whole, people buy Lexus and other premium brands for more than just the product. In my opinion, Buick has a way to go before they can be looked at as a tier one manufacturer.

You're correct that Buick can't even come close to comparing to Lexus for prestige, if impressing your peers matters to you. In this economy it seems some people actually are going for the opposite effect. Also its dealers and overall ownership experience have a long way to go before they can be competitive with Lexus. Hyundai has a similar problem with the Genesis.

However even still I don't think that makes the LaCrosse a bad choice... have you compared pricing? With similar options the LaCrosse is, based on my own observations, on average over 7 grand less expensive than the ES. Additionally while the service experience isn't as nice, it's almost definitely less expensive. That's before rebates too... I don't think the LaCrosse has any rebates yet but knowing GM we'll probably be seeing $1500-$3000 rebates and/or 0% financing here within the next year.

I'm not saying the ES is the wrong answer, I'm just saying there's more to the equation.
Old 11-09-09, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Come on marshall, you mean you dont bring a Floor Creeper to your car reviews
A lot of today's vehicles sit so low that it's hard to get a good look underneath, even with the Creeper. SUV's pickup trucks, and some crossovers, of course, are exceptions.
Old 11-09-09, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Thanks MMarshall for the wonderful review once again IMO your reviews are better than the content I read on automobile magazines these days keep them coming.
Thanks, rsantiago. Some newspaper-column auto reviews I have read, in the past, have admittedly been poorly written (and often one-sided), but, to be honest, the ones I have seen lately (in the last few months) have been MUCH better.

I have seen an especially good improvement, recently, in the reviews published in the Washington Times Auto Weekly.
Old 11-09-09, 11:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
You're correct that Buick can't even come close to comparing to Lexus for prestige, if impressing your peers matters to you. In this economy it seems some people actually are going for the opposite effect. Also its dealers and overall ownership experience have a long way to go before they can be competitive with Lexus. Hyundai has a similar problem with the Genesis.

However even still I don't think that makes the LaCrosse a bad choice... have you compared pricing? With similar options the LaCrosse is, based on my own observations, on average over 7 grand less expensive than the ES. Additionally while the service experience isn't as nice, it's almost definitely less expensive. That's before rebates too... I don't think the LaCrosse has any rebates yet but knowing GM we'll probably be seeing $1500-$3000 rebates and/or 0% financing here within the next year.

I'm not saying the ES is the wrong answer, I'm just saying there's more to the equation.
Seven thousand dollars buys a lot of bottle water and French pastries you get from Lexus.
Old 11-09-09, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
You're correct that Buick can't even come close to comparing to Lexus for prestige, if impressing your peers matters to you.
That's true, to an extent, in this country, but, in China, one of the world's most rapidly-growing auto markets, they practically worship the Buick nameplate.

In this economy it seems some people actually are going for the opposite effect. Also its dealers and overall ownership experience have a long way to go before they can be competitive with Lexus. Hyundai has a similar problem with the Genesis.
Buick, BTW, has recently extended its warranties to equal or longer lengths than those of Lexus.

I've reviewed both cars, and there are some good reasons to give the new LaCrosse a good look. It has an excellent FWD drivetrain, even with the smaller 3.0L V6, MUCH better handling/steering response than past Buicks, a well-done chassis, an AWD option on the CXL that the ES350 lacks, and, as you note, attractive pricing. But, IMO, the ES350 clearly beats it in sheet metal quality, quality of interior trim/hardware/materials (though, admittedly, the ES power-mirror switch is a joke), quality/simplicity of gauges/controls, trunk/cargo area, paint finish, and dealer service. Both cars have butter-smooth 6-speed transmissions, torquey V6s, and are well-suited for cruising, though the Buick, believe it or not, can carve some canyons as well.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus ES350