Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 03:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Rain sensing wipers can also cause a problem in they are in the Auto position and you happen to enter a car wash. Once the water hits them they activate and that can cause problems if there are some type of overhead brushes in the car wash.

Personally I like them, but along with things like my rear sunshade, drivers seat extender and adjustable lumbar support, to me they are nice to have, but not really need to have. More often than not, I forget to use them.
I find rain sensing wipers not perfect but I do like the option.Carwashes aren't a problem for me.I don't use 'em.
I also love the lumbar support I didn't even know I had till this thread.
Had a seat extender in a BMW that I never used.Never had a sunshade and don't miss one.
Old 11-09-09, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx

I don't know about you but I seem to have to replace a windshield on my cars on average once every 4-5 years so if I'm going to have a car for 8-10 years that means the rain sensing wipers on average will cost me $600 additional in windshield replacement expenses. Not worth it to me.
While windshield damage can happen, of course, under a variety of conditions, try to cut down on the amount of high-speed driving you do on the Interstates, especially in and around construction areas, and don't follow heavy trucks (especially dump trucks) unless you have no other choice. Also, if possible, avoid roads in the winter that have just been treated. Some road crews use gravel and small stones mixed in with the salt....that stuff can be a PITA until it clears off. Heavy rain can also wash some small debris out of cracks/holes in the pavement, onto the road surface, where tires from the vehicle ahead of you can kick it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-09-09 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I find rain sensing wipers not perfect but I do like the option.
If you have them, keep the windshield relatively clean, especially when rain is expected soon. If the rain-sensing wipers are activated when it just starts to rain on a dirty windshield, they can abrade the glass, for reasons which I explained a few posts back.
Old 11-09-09, 03:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I also recently discovered that at least in the case of the 335i, a windshield replacement for a 3 series WITHOUT the rain sensing wiper feature is about $300, whereas replacement WITH the feature costs $600.

I don't know about you but I seem to have to replace a windshield on my cars on average once every 4-5 years so if I'm going to have a car for 8-10 years that means the rain sensing wipers on average will cost me $600 additional in windshield replacement expenses. Not worth it to me.
The cost isn't too bad for a rain sensor windshield for a ES 350.
According to Safelite autoglass,the cost is $445 which seems too cheap.
I got the quote off the site and did click on rain sensing windshield.
If that's correct,it seems it's about $100 more than a conventional windshield.
BMW parts can be a very different cost.

http://www.safelite.com/

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-09-09 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 03:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you have them, keep the windshield relatively clean, especially when rain is expected soon. If the rain-sensing wipers are activated when it just starts to rain on a dirty windshield, they can abrade the glass, for reasons which I explained a few posts back.
I've had rain sensing wipers for close to two years without any problems but I keep my vehicles cleaner than the average guy.
Old 11-09-09, 05:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've had rain sensing wipers for close to two years without any problems but I keep my vehicles cleaner than the average guy.
Me too. I've had my car a litle over 3 1/2 years with no problem.
Old 11-09-09, 09:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks.

Most of the loose build quality and interior problems do seem to have been addressed. My only remaining complaint is that I'd like to see them go back to higher-profile tires and slightly softer suspension like the old ES330 had. I still, even after some 3 years, see no reason why this car had to get the more-aggreessive rubber and underpinnings for the 2007 redesign....the ES is supposed to be a soft-riding cruiser, not a sports sedan or BMW wanna-be. It also needs an AWD option to be able to compete with its rival AWD Buick LaCrosse in bad-weather areas.
I agree. Perhaps they went with 55 series to match the slightly sportier design? I'm not sure. I do love this one and it brings back the sporty-ish design of the 97-01 ES300.
Old 11-10-09, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rain sensing wipers is one luxury option I can do without. Most of the time, I find myself fine tuning it in the rain anyways. I wish there is a option for good old fashion intermittent wipers. It also drives me crazy that the wiper is on super slow when you are at a red light and speeds up only after you get up to speed, What are the designers thing of, that I dont need to see out of the windshield at a red light?
Old 11-10-09, 07:51 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While windshield damage can happen, of course, under a variety of conditions, try to cut down on the amount of high-speed driving you do on the Interstates, especially in and around construction areas, and don't follow heavy trucks (especially dump trucks) unless you have no other choice. Also, if possible, avoid roads in the winter that have just been treated. Some road crews use gravel and small stones mixed in with the salt....that stuff can be a PITA until it clears off. Heavy rain can also wash some small debris out of cracks/holes in the pavement, onto the road surface, where tires from the vehicle ahead of you can kick it up.
I learned this the hard way, drove behind a dump truck and got hit by a rock and cracked my windshield on my Camry.
Old 11-10-09, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Rain sensing wipers is one luxury option I can do without. Most of the time, I find myself fine tuning it in the rain anyways. I wish there is a option for good old fashion intermittent wipers. It also drives me crazy that the wiper is on super slow when you are at a red light and speeds up only after you get up to speed, What are the designers thing of, that I dont need to see out of the windshield at a red light?
There's a difference between true rain-sensing wipers, though, and the system you are describeing. Intermittent, variable-intermittent, and speed-sensing intermittent wiper systems have to be turned on and off manually with a switch.......usually a column-mounted stalk. If the system is manually variable, you adjust it by hand with a rheostat-type device....usually a rotating ring on the stalk, or by clicking the lever up and down to various settings. If it is automatically variable, it slows down as you come to a stop and speeds up again once the car starts rolling. This is done because, at a stop, there is usually less rain hitting the windshield than when you are moving and driving directly into the rain (or snow). That's why, even with manually-adjustable intermittent systems, you still spend a fair amount of time fiddling with the settings as you stop and go.

True rain-sensing systems, though, are not like that....you don't turn them on and off by hand. Sensors in the glass (or on the dash) sense the number of raindrops and automatically turn on and adjust the wiper speed continually as needed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't care for the rain-sensing system because, even though it is an admitted convienence and doesn't require fiddling with the lever, it can abrade or scratch the glass under some conditions.
Old 11-10-09, 10:08 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone think the resale value on the ES350 is slightly poor? I see fully loaded 2007 ES350 going for $24-26k. Doesnt that seem a bit low for only being 2 years old?
Old 11-10-09, 10:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

There's a difference between true rain-sensing wipers, though, and the system you are describeing. Intermittent, variable-intermittent, and speed-sensing intermittent wiper systems have to be turned on and off manually with a switch.......usually a column-mounted stalk. If the system is manually variable, you adjust it by hand with a rheostat-type device....usually a rotating ring on the stalk, or by clicking the lever up and down to various settings. If it is automatically variable, it slows down as you come to a stop and speeds up again once the car starts rolling. This is done because, at a stop, there is usually less rain hitting the windshield than when you are moving and driving directly into the rain (or snow). That's why, even with manually-adjustable intermittent systems, you still spend a fair amount of time fiddling with the settings as you stop and go.

True rain-sensing systems, though, are not like that....you don't turn them on and off by hand. Sensors in the glass (or on the dash) sense the number of raindrops and automatically turn on and adjust the wiper speed continually as needed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't care for the rain-sensing system because, even though it is an admitted convienence and doesn't require fiddling with the lever, it can abrade or scratch the glass under some conditions.

Then I dont like the true rain-sensing systems, if I have to play with it as much as the variable-intermittent wipers, why even have it. Its just another thing that can break and it really doesnt make my life any easier.
Old 11-10-09, 10:22 AM
LexFather

If anyone DOESN'T like rain sensing wipers, you can TURN IT OFF in a Lexus. It takes 2 seconds, to deactivate.
As a matter of fact you have to activate it with the switch, otherwise it won't work.

Why is this even an issue? Lexus doesn't make you use it. You have to activate it.

Personally, I think its nifty.

Old 11-10-09, 10:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If anyone DOESN'T like rain sensing wipers, you can TURN IT OFF in a Lexus. It takes 2 seconds, to deactivate.
As a matter of fact you have to activate it with the switch, otherwise it won't work.

Why is this even an issue? Lexus doesn't make you use it. You have to activate it.

Personally, I think its nifty.
But there is no intermittent wiper if you shut it off. Someone should make a 5 wiper setting system, off, intermittent, auto, low and high.
Old 11-10-09, 10:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I'm pretty sure there is. I'll check when I go out to my car later but it goes like this in my car: Stalk at the highest position = no wipers on. You can move it up and hold it to get the single swipe of the blades. Push it down 1 position and it turns on the rain sensing wipers. Down 1 more position and it turns on the intermittent

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus ES350