Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 10:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm pretty sure there is. I'll check when I go out to my car later but it goes like this in my car: Stalk at the highest position = no wipers on. You can move it up and hold it to get the single swipe of the blades. Push it down 1 position and it turns on the rain sensing wipers. Down 1 more position and it turns on the intermittent
If your IS is like my old GS, 2 down is not really intermittent. It is speed sensing low speed. It will wipe intermittently when you are at a stop, but it wipes on low speed when you are moving.
Old 11-10-09, 11:28 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Rain sensing wipers is one luxury option I can do without. Most of the time, I find myself fine tuning it in the rain anyways. I wish there is a option for good old fashion intermittent wipers. It also drives me crazy that the wiper is on super slow when you are at a red light and speeds up only after you get up to speed, What are the designers thing of, that I dont need to see out of the windshield at a red light?
I'm with you - I don't like the rain sensing wipers and would rather have intermittent. The rain sensing wipers on my ES350 are too slow to react to water on the windshield, especially mist from passing autos. This is true even on the most aggressive setting.

I use the automatic setting all the time because the only option is to go to fully on. But I still find myself frequently jogging the wipers to clear the windshield of water the rain sensing wipers don't detect.

Oh, mmarshall, another great review. Thanks.
Old 11-10-09, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm pretty sure there is. I'll check when I go out to my car later but it goes like this in my car: Stalk at the highest position = no wipers on. You can move it up and hold it to get the single swipe of the blades. Push it down 1 position and it turns on the rain sensing wipers. Down 1 more position and it turns on the intermittent
Lexus has always had an intermittent setting, my 92 ES has it.....it doesn't have auto, that is a newer function on newer models.

You are correct Allen, that is how the Lexus wiper works and I am beyond puzzled what the issue is.
1. You can keep off and wipe the window yourself or ask a bum to do it
2. You can tap up and there will be a single wipe
3. You can tap down once and keep in the auto setting
4. You can tap down twice into the "intermittent" setting
5. You can tap down to the normal or fast setting which is continuous.

Old 11-10-09, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If anyone DOESN'T like rain sensing wipers, you can TURN IT OFF in a Lexus. It takes 2 seconds, to deactivate.
As a matter of fact you have to activate it with the switch, otherwise it won't work.

Why is this even an issue? Lexus doesn't make you use it. You have to activate it.
True, but I don't think that all rain-sensing system allow you to turn them off.

I wasn't necessarily trying to make this a big issue.....I was just explaining the differences between the various types of intermitent and rain-sensing systems.
Old 11-10-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Oh, mmarshall, another great review. Thanks.
Sure. Anytime.
Old 11-11-09, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: Cadillac SRX, Audi A3 TDI, BMW 550i, 750i, Ford Fiesta (when it arrives), Suzuki Kizashi (although finding a nearby Suzuki dealer could be a problem).
Old 11-11-09, 10:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any plans for a TDI test drive, mmarshall? I'm not sure what models you guys will get down there but I presume the easiest will be a Golf TDI?
Old 11-11-09, 10:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Whatever the ES model or package that involves the panoramic roof is HOT . Thats the only ES I would buy. Gotta have that beautiful roof. It just makes the car seem so much more special imho
Old 11-11-09, 11:15 PM
dannydesil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you have any options. If Lexus doesn't provided a map of the area you need, then one doesn't likely exist.

premium sms service providers | adirondack chairs australia | Texas obesity | computer repairs online

Last edited by dannydesil; 11-15-09 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 06:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Whatever the ES model or package that involves the panoramic roof is HOT . Thats the only ES I would buy. Gotta have that beautiful roof. It just makes the car seem so much more special imho
We have the panoramic sunroof in my wife's car. Its a great feature for the passengers in the back. It really opens up the rear passenger compartment, my 10 year old son loves it
Old 11-14-09, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Any plans for a TDI test drive, mmarshall? I'm not sure what models you guys will get down there but I presume the easiest will be a Golf TDI?
Yes. As indicated on my upcoming review list above, I have requests for the Audi A3 TDI, if and when Audi releases it in my area.

In the meantime, I've already reviewed the VW Jetta TDI, some time ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...di-diesel.html

(BTW, at the time of the review, I thought that the VW TDI needed urea injection......apparantly, it does not).
Old 11-14-09, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Keep in mind, though, especially if you are tall, that headroom is not plentiful in the ES350 to start with, even with the drivers' seat cushion lowered all the way, and that the sunroof housing only makes it worse.
Old 12-03-09, 01:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I drove a 2010 ES350 today.

My impressions:

I love the refreshed exterior. The front end is still boring, but the back end really speaks to me. The chrome trim pieces really make this entry level luxury sedan stand out.

I sat in the car and I imediately felt like this is a car to take a long trip in. The seats were comfortable and very attractive (at least compared to the leather in my Subaru). My mom commented that this is just a glorified Camry. However, the interior really seemed elegant to me. The fit and finish was nice. My only complaint is that the rear window is slanted to much that visibility is very, very narrow.

The 3.5L engine had a nice roar to it. The car was smooth and free of wind noise. There was noticeable torque, which having driven AWD for the past 7 years I wasn't exactly used to. However, I had a FWD Prelude and loved it, so I do enjoy a potent FWD vehicle.

My conclusions: I like this car much better than my dad's IS 250. The engine is right, the interior is nicer, and the backseat could fit 3 adults as opposed to the discomfort for just 1 adult in the IS. Kudos to Lexus on the ES. It just needs a hybrid powertrain.
Old 12-03-09, 01:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=SLegacy99;5046310]The seats were comfortable and very attractive (at least compared to the leather in my Subaru). [QUOTE]

So, now we have come to this, we are comparing a Lexus to a Subaru By the way, I think the BMW 3 series handles better than a Corolla
Old 12-03-09, 01:53 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man

So, now we have come to this, we are comparing a Lexus to a Subaru By the way, I think the BMW 3 series handles better than a Corolla
Im sorry I don't drive a luxury car? WTH man?

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus ES350