Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So, now we have come to this, we are comparing a Lexus to a Subaru By the way, I think the BMW 3 series handles better than a Corolla
Subarus, BTW, are surprisingly good in a number of areas. I still consider them the best overall daily drivers, on a dollar-per-dollar basis, especially in bad-weather areas. My Outback has been superb.....to date, the most reliable car I've ever owned, surpassing even my Lexus IS300.

Yes, a 3-series DOES handle better than a Corolla. But, on average, it spends more time in the shop for repairs.
Old 12-03-09, 03:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I drove a 2010 ES350 today.

My impressions:

I love the refreshed exterior. The front end is still boring, but the back end really speaks to me. The chrome trim pieces really make this entry level luxury sedan stand out.

I sat in the car and I imediately felt like this is a car to take a long trip in. The seats were comfortable and very attractive (at least compared to the leather in my Subaru). My mom commented that this is just a glorified Camry. However, the interior really seemed elegant to me. The fit and finish was nice. My only complaint is that the rear window is slanted to much that visibility is very, very narrow.

The 3.5L engine had a nice roar to it. The car was smooth and free of wind noise. There was noticeable torque, which having driven AWD for the past 7 years I wasn't exactly used to. However, I had a FWD Prelude and loved it, so I do enjoy a potent FWD vehicle.

My conclusions: I like this car much better than my dad's IS 250. The engine is right, the interior is nicer, and the backseat could fit 3 adults as opposed to the discomfort for just 1 adult in the IS. Kudos to Lexus on the ES. It just needs a hybrid powertrain.
Yes the ES350 is a good car for long trips. You can regularly get over 30 mpg on the highway and it is definitely a comfortable ride for long hauls. Not a sports sedan but a good cruiser.

I'm getting the bug for a new car and will consider the '10 among others that have recently caught my eye. My '07 has been problem free for 3 1/2 years so a new ES will be a prime candidate.
Old 12-03-09, 05:35 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom commented that this is just a glorified Camry. However, the interior really seemed elegant to me. The fit and finish was nice. My only complaint is that the rear window is slanted to much that visibility is very, very narrow.
That's what the backup camera is for, and it ought to be standard equipment!

I'm amazed at how many Camry comments still fly around today. Only the first-gen ES was a badge job, and few of us even remember what it looked like. Is it just me or does it seem like there is some sort of propaganda influence around us?

I mean, sit in a Camry, then sit in an ES, and tell me the ES doesn't feel like a large step up in design and materials quality.
Old 12-03-09, 06:02 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes the ES350 is a good car for long trips. You can regularly get over 30 mpg on the highway and it is definitely a comfortable ride for long hauls.
I believe it. This one had 1000 miles on it and was averaging 23 MPG. Pretty good for a vehicle that I know spends alot of time on 45 MPH roads with many stop lights.

Originally Posted by superchan7
That's what the backup camera is for, and it ought to be standard equipment!
Which is nice, but it doesnt help while the car is moving forward.
Old 12-04-09, 07:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Im sorry I don't drive a luxury car? WTH man?
I am sorry about that comment, they was un-call for. Actually, I do think that Subaru have come a long way since I one I own about 20 years ago. That thing was a piece a crap. We look at the new Forester a few month back, very nice looking car, SUV, what ever it is But the price have gone up with its quality, the engine still sounds terrible but the interior is much nicer.
Old 12-04-09, 07:14 AM
LexFather

I would take a Subie over an Acura anyday....

Last gen Legacy B-spec please!!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!

0-60 5.23 seconds
1/4 mile 13.95 @ 97.5mph

Keep in mind this is the heavier Limited model with power everything, sunroof, leather etc.

Here is the article.

Old 12-04-09, 07:20 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Yeah the last gen Legacy was a beauty. The current gen...not so much.
Old 12-04-09, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

subbie needs new designers...
Old 12-04-09, 08:28 AM
Milla...

I'm sorry but this car yells Camery to me.

I was in SF last week on business (caught the car show too). Anyway I saw a fairly attractive asian woman very nicely dressed (formal wear) she carried a killer Hermes Kelly bag and sported a sharp hair cut, very polished woman. As I was checking out her outfit I noticed something eles that was very familiar, her hands, her jaw bone and cheek structure, her calves, and then finally her voice tone, once I heard her speak to someone I new it. SHE'S A MAN!

This is what I think whenever I see a ES, no no not that I actually feel its an automotive transvestite, but that it gives the impression that its actually something eles, that it went through great lengths to stand out as something different. When I (and many others) look at this particular Lexus model the ES, you quickly see something very familiar when you look past the luxury elements, ITS A CAMERY!
Now I've been in both and yes there is a big difference I'm not blind, but I'm also discerning and my discerning eye see just way to much Camery in this ES.

Oh and that Q-Tip shape center stack gets a chuckle out of me everytime I see it.

Great review MM.
Old 12-04-09, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
I'm sorry but this car yells Camery to me.
Yells Camry? No, I can't agree. Whispers Camry? Maybe, but only to a very small extent. It is done loosely on the same platform, but the differences in fit/finish and interior materials/trim quality are very significant, even with the top-level Camry XLE. The Camry, at one time (early-mid 90's), was one of the best and nicest mid-size sedans on the market, but, IMO, has gradually gotten more and more El Cheapo, especially inside, with every redesign since then.

I was in SF last week on business (caught the car show too). Anyway I saw a fairly attractive asian woman very nicely dressed (formal wear) she carried a killer Hermes Kelly bag and sported a sharp hair cut, very polished woman. As I was checking out her outfit I noticed something eles that was very familiar, her hands, her jaw bone and cheek structure, her calves, and then finally her voice tone, once I heard her speak to someone I new it. SHE'S A MAN!

What do you expect? SF is full of cross-dressers and drag queens. In fact, they have an annual Drag-parade.

Great review MM.
Thanks. I was definitely more pleased with this year's ES350 than I was with the first ones that came out in 2006-2007. Lexus has addressed several of the faults those early ES350 models had, but still has not gone back to the smoother-riding tires of the previous-generation ES330.
Old 12-04-09, 08:57 AM
Milla...

Yells Camry? No, I can't agree. Whispers Camry? Maybe, but only to a very small extent. It is done loosely on the same platform, but the differences in fit/finish and interior materials/trim quality are very significant, even with the top-level Camry XLE. The Camry, at one time (early-mid 90's), was one of the best and nicest mid-size sedans on the market, but, IMO, has gradually gotten more and more El Cheapo, especially inside, with every redesign since then.
Ok to say yelling is a bit exaggerated, but when I see a ES the absolute first thought that pops into my mind is Camery. In my eyes It shares alot of the same conservative design language and it really jumps out at me. I suppose its more a person thing.

What do you expect? SF is full of cross-dressers and drag queens. In fact, they have an annual Drag-parade.
Yeah I'm aware of that this wasn't my first time to SF, but I don't see it that often here in LA, well, not that sharp and polished. I was just using that experience in an attempt to try to articulate how I feel about the impression the ES gives me.

Last edited by Milla...; 12-04-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

hey Milla, can you keep your weirdness out of this forum please
Old 12-04-09, 09:40 AM
Milla...

hey Milla, can you keep your weirdness out of this forum please
Ha-ha funny funny. Hey I was at a very nice repsectable resturant with live music. Some place called the Cosmopolitan in the financial district near the bay bridge. I forget how absolutely beautiful the Bay Area is its so clean, well compared to LA. Its been over 4yrs since I've been up there last.
Old 12-04-09, 11:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Ha-ha funny funny. Hey I was at a very nice repsectable resturant with live music. Some place called the Cosmopolitan in the financial district near the bay bridge. I forget how absolutely beautiful the Bay Area is its so clean, well compared to LA. Its been over 4yrs since I've been up there last.
Ahhhh, you were in S F. that expalins it. A lot of he she over there Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 12-04-09, 01:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh, you were in S F. that expalins it. A lot of he she over there Not that there is anything wrong with that.
That's what Lady Gaga said when she performed to a sell-out crowd in SF, cha-ching, cha-ching.

Back on topic, I'll bet the profit margins are very good on the ES350 (versus the Camry).

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus ES350