Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Lexus ES350

By CL member request, a Review of the 2010 Lexus ES350.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/

In a Nutshell: Better overall build quality and higher-quality interior trim than the disappointing 2007 model, but the chassis still could use some work.

The Lexus ES series goes back almost as long as the Lexus nameplate itself, with the original ES250, an unabashedly Toyota Camry copy-cat, introduced shortly after the original Lexus LS400 in 1990. The original ES250 was so much like the Camry it was blatently copied from (you generally couldn't tell the difference except at close range) that few people were impressed. Of course, it was not much of a seller, especially when you could get the much better, larger LS400 for not that much more money (the original LS400 started at $35,000).

Of course, the LS400 steadily climbed in price over the years, and the original ES250 was replaced by several generations of the much better ES300, still done on the basic Camry platform, but this time with more differences in exterior and interior trim, styling, refinement, and equipment. The ES300 steadily became the bread-and-butter Lexus seller in the American market until the wildly popular RX300 (utilizing much of the same Camry-based platform but in a higher-stance, AWD SUV) was introduced in 1998 and became the new pet vehicle for most Lexus buyers. They were quite reliable as long as you kept the oil changed regularly on the 3.0L V6 (a joint Toyota/Lexus powerplant).....but that engine was not forgiving of extended oil change intervals. Let the oil go for too long (as many owners did), and you were rewarded with a healthy dose of sludge, gelling, and, sometimes, engine failure. Toyota/Lexus finally settled with owners in a class-action move, that that is the subject for another thread, not this one here.

The ES300 gave way to the superb ES330, which, IMO, was one of the finest products Lexus ever offered for the money.....I almost wish I had bought one instead of the IS300 I had, though the IS300, in some ways, had even better overall build quality. The ES330 was not perfect......some owners reported erratic transmission shifts and drive-by-wire problems from the electronic engine/transmission control units. But, in general, it was a superlative entry-level luxury sedan, with a smooth, quiet ride, very low noise levels, a buttery-smooth powertrain (when the electronics worked right), and LOTS of sumptuous wood trim inside which would put some Jaguars and other expensive British cars to shame.

All that, unfortunately (IMO) came to an end in 2006-2007 with the total re-design of the ES330 into the ES350. Lexus, foolishly IMO, tried to partially re-make the ES into a FWD semi-sport-sedan (not as sporty, of course, is its brother Lexus IS).......this, at a time when there was a glut of sport-sedans on the market, and no new ones were needed. Out went the ES330's soft-riding 60-series tires, replaced by more aggressive 55's. Out went the 330's plush, soft-riding suspension in favor of higher spring rates and firmer damping. And there were signs of general cost-cutting/economizing as well. The superb ultra-large, beauituful wood trim on the dash/doors was replaced by obviously much cheaper, smaller sets of plasticky, artificial-looking wood trim, although it remained real wood instead of fake. The other interior materials, such as the *****, buttons, hardware, etc.... took on an unpleasant, plasticky feel. The dash panels itself lost some solidness and, at least on the test car I reviewed, has noticeable creaks and small rattles. The real spare tire on the 330 was replaced by a temporary one. The sheet metal/doors seemed to have lost a little solidness as well. Although the new ES350 admittedly kept the smooth, quiet drivetrain/sound insulation and slick paint job of the former ES330, I made no bones about the fact, in my 2006 review, that I was highly disappointed with the ES350....although, of course, my reviews in those days were not as long or comprehensive as they are today, and did not include images.

And my opinion did not seem to be alone either......a number of early ES350 owners complained about rattles, the downgraded interior, and stiffer ride. Recently, however, I had a chance to look over a used 2008 model, with 13,000 miles on it, purchased by a collague of mine, and Lexus seemed to have addressed at least some of the shortcomings of the early-model 2007 ES350s....I posted a CL thread on that, and a Review Update. So, for that reason, for a couple of additional CL requests to do a full-review on the mildly-redesigned 2010 ES350, and for the reason that Lexus, this year, is advertising additional interior and sheet metal improvements, I decided to go back to Square One and do an all-new review of the 2010 model from scratch. I did, indeed, find several notable improvements on the 2010 model compared to earlier ones......more on that, of course, below.

For 2010, as in the past, the ES350 is offered in only one body style, a four-door sedan with the ubiquitous Toyota/Lexus 3.5L VVT-i V6 and silky-smooth 6-speed automatic transmission with a manual Sport-Shift gate. Only one basic trim level is offered, though several equipment packages are offered as options. Lexus still has not seen fit to introduce an ES hybrid or AWD model, despite the fact that several other Lexus products do, and that the sister Toyota Camry/Highlander and Lexus RX350/460h have the AWD and hybrid hardware already in production. The new, small, Lexus HS250 hybrid (see my recent review), has, of course, stolen some of the hybrid thunder this year already.

As of right now, the new 2010 models seem to be handily outselling the leftover 2009's (not surprising, with the improvements the 2010 model offers), so it is generally easier to find the leftover 2009 models sitting around. But, even so, the supply of 2010 models, right now, is a little tight, because dealers are trying to move the leftover 2009's.......that should improve, of course, as the factory gears up for full-2010 production (ES350 models are all assembled in Japan, not in American plants). So, in a little while, there should be plenty of new 2010's to go around.........after all, it, and the RX350, are the two Lexus bread-and-butter products that generate much of their revenue.

For the review, I had a dark gray (Graphite) NAV-equipped model with a light, Dove-Grey leather interior and without the Mark Levinson stereo package. Even before I got inside, I noticed improvements on the exterior over previous models.....with more to follow as I got inside and sat down.

Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Lexus ES350

Base Price: $34,800

Options:

Full-Size Spare Tire/Wheel (yes, a REAL spare tire): $205

Heated/cooled front seats: $640

High-Intensity-Discharge (HID) Headlights: $815

Trunk Cargo Net: $64

Trunk Mat: $73

Wood/Leather Steering Wheel: $330 (this, IMO is worth the extra money)

NAV System: $2465

Parking Assist: $500
(this is NOT the sophisticated Self-Park System that the LS460 has, just the usual rear-camera/warning beepers.

Destination/Freight: $875

List Price as Reviewed: $40,867

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.5L VVT-i V6, 272 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 254 Ft-lbs. @ 4700 RPM, 6-speed automatic transmission with manual Sport-Shift (no paddles).

EPA Mileage Rating: 19 City, 27 Highway

0-60 time per Lexus specs: 6.8 seconds

Exterior Color: Smoky Granite Mica

Interior: Light Gray Leather

PLUSSES:

Refined, responsive, torquey V6.

Smooth, quiet 6-speed automatic.

Relatively quick steering response at low speeds.

Good wind/road noise isolation (but it is not the quietest Lexus model)

Lexus-slick paint quality.

Improved exterior sheet metal/trim quality from 2007-2009 models.

Comfortable, soft, smooth leather seats.

Excellent seat leather quality.

Clear, simple primary gauges, buttons, and controls.

Much-improved interior wood/chrome trim over 2007-2009 models.

Nice plush sun visor/headliner fabric.

Improved dash eliminates the former creaks/rattles.

A real spare tire/wheel in the trunk....but it costs extra.

Traditional Lexus First-Aid Kit in the trunk.

Relatively simple, clear NAV/stereo controls.

Slick-operating transmission shifter.

Superb, optional, polished-wood/leather steering wheel.

Fairly roomy, well-finished trunk.

Slick, relatively high-quality interior hardware.

Solid-feeling/closing doors an improvement over recent models.

Finally...the gorgeous Matador Red Mica paint available on the ES.

Attractive interior leather/wood trim colors and patterns.

Nice Lexus 6/70 drivetrain and 4/50 bumper-to-bumper warranty.

ES history of above-average reliability, with only a few issues.

Should be readily available at dealerships, without supply/demand problems or markups.

MINUSES:

Absurdly restricted underhood layout.

Somewhat mushy brake pedal.

Handling good at low speeds but deteriorates quickly as speed increases.

Marked body roll as speed inceases.

Ride, IMO, slightly too firm for a true luxury car.

Slightly too much exhaust noise, under acceleration, for a true luxury car.

Paint colors, IMO, much too dull....except for the Matador Red and White Pearl (Starfire).

Marginal front/rear headroom for tall people, unless front seat is raked back.

Rear seats have a pass-through for long items, but do not fold down.

Optional full-size spare tire/wheel, IMO, should be standard.

Annoying zig-zag shift-lever pattern.

Too-small, Mickey-Mouse-sized glove box.

Awkward, undersized power-mirror selector.

No hybrid version (yet), despite its Toyota Camry Hybrid cousin.

No AWD version (yet) like its sister Lexus RX, IS, and GS models.

Standard stereo sound quality OK, but does not compare with the optional Mark Levinson unit.

Only one basic version offered in the American market.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new 2010 ES from a distance, the new design is not noticeably apparant style-wise, having been a relatively minor redesign on the outside (more like a smple freshening-up). But, when you feel the new doors, exterior sheet metal, and trim, you notice a definite improvement over what was offered just a few years ago on the 2007 model. The doors have, to me at least, a somewhat heftier, more solid feel, smoother/more polished chrome trim on the window frames, a firmer "thunk" when closing, and a more precise-feeling fit in their jambs. The paint quality is typical Lexus, with the dark gray on my test car being almost mirror-like in its smoothness, evenness, glossiness, and freedom from orange-peel. This mirror-like smoothness is typical of some Lexus paint colors; others, oddly, have a small trace of orange peel, but there is no such thing as a bad Lexus paint job......I have yet to see one. Of course, most of the ES paint colors, as with some other Lexus vehicles, are too dull for my tastes....I prefer not to look like a funeral director driving down the street. But the White Pearl (Starfire), admittedly, is nice, and, (finally) the gorgeous Matador Red, one of the best colors Lexus has ever done, is now available on the ES line, having been restricted before to the IS/GS lines (and possibly one or two more, I don't remember).

The exterior trim, for 2010, seems of better quality than before, and better fit/smoothed out. The hardware is nice and solid-feeling, and the twin outside mirrors, with integral turn-signals, snap-swivel and lock smoothly and firmly (some manufacturers are eliminating both the swiveling feature and integrated turn-signels with cost-cutting). The front end has, IMO, a fairly handsome look...a nice, large, well-trimmed grille (but not too large or garish, like on Audis, Acuras, and the Chrysler 300), and headlights that sweep back a little, but not too much (that was one of the few shortcomings of the otherwise superb ES330 predecessor...excessively-swept headlights). I didn't care for the rear-end styling quite as much, with the rear taillights somewhat reminiscent of those found on the sister Toyota Camry, but it's not what I would call ugly by any means.

UNDERHOOD:

The nice, solid hood opens up with two nice gas struts to hold it up, and, (what else for a Lexus?) has a nice, thick underhood pad to keep noise/vibration down. To put it bluntly, however, (for lack of a better or more refined word to describe it), the underhood arrangement sucks. The transversely-mounted 3.5L V6 sits down in a hole, with a big plastic cover hiding virtually the entire block. Apart from a few exposed filler caps, dipstick handles, and reservoir caps, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is readily accessable without prying off a bunch of plastic covers, panels, and separators. At the risk of sounding like Ralph Nader or Joan Claybrook, IMO there should be a law against designs like this.

INTERIOR:

Here is another area where some noticeable improvements have been made. Once you get in and shut the doors, you notice how soft and comfortable the leather front seats are. You more or less sink down into them, somewhat like a Buick, which is the way it should be with a luxury car, not on brick-hard cushions with sharp side bolsters like on so many other vehicles. And the seat leather is nice, soft, smooth, REAL leather...not the vinyl-like, semi-synthetic, rough-patterned stuff you find like MB-Tex and the stuff in so many German cars (with many German vehicles, you have to buy the top-line models or expensive packages to get real, smooth leather). There are four different leather and two different wood-trim options offered in the ES......all, IMO, look and feel nice.

The interior wood trim, with (new for this year) bright chrome-surrounds, is light-years ahead of that in the 2007-2009 models. Additional wood strips and their chrome/brushed-metal insets have been added to the dash and upper-console, though they are still not as large as those on the superb ES330. But, they now have a classy, well-finished look/feel that is not unlike that on a number of Audis I've seen...and Audi interior trim is (arguably) some of the best in the buisness. The stereo sound quality is pretty good, but I've heard better in Lexus products, especially those with the Mark Levinson units (my car was missing that option). Still, it was good enough for me to enjoy hearing Def Leppard do one of their old classics, "Rock Of Ages".....a classic 80's Heavy Metal song, and long one of my favorites. The stereo controls, partially integrated with the NAV screen, were not particularly complex, at least as not as much as with some NAVs. The buttons/*****/controls are all clearly marked, reasonably solid-feeling, and relatively easy to use, though, of course, more complex than on a non-NAV car. The NAV screen, like most nowadays, has an integrated TV camera that shows the view behind, and the usual beepers in the bumper that warn you when you are backing up too close. The optional wood/leather steering wheel, IMO, is well-worth the extra $330, as it has smooth, well-polished wood, nice-feeling leather/stitching, is well-shaped, and comfortable to hold. It also has power-adjustmets for tilt and telescope functions....some cars, even in this price range, skimp on either the the dual-function column or the power-assist motors, making you do the adjustments manually. Like many other luxury cars, their is a 3-column-position memory that remembers your settings, in conjunction with the power mirrors and seats. The twin primary gauges, like in many BMWs, couldn't be clearer or easier to read, and the column stalks, unlike those in many German products, generally feel solid and well-attached.

All is not roses inside, however. Headroom, under the sunroof housing, is marginal, in both front and rear, for tall persons (I'm 6' 2" and usually wear a cap). Even with the front seat cushion down all the way, I still had to rake the seatback down a little to get my head to fit. Legroom is generaly good, but can be a little tight for taller people in back if the front seats are adusted back for tall people up front. The glove box is too small, with a rather slit-like compartment that can hold the Owners' Manual and only a few other small items. The rear seats don't fold down for added cargo space (more on this below). And the power-mirror left/right selector switch seems to be designed for the tiny fingers of little children, rather than adults.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The swept-back rear roof line, of course, like with many contemporary sedans, cuts into some of the trunk-lid area, but, overall, the trunk lid opening is large enough to get any reasonable-sized items through. The cargo area itself is fairly roomy, well-shaped, and generally well-finished with plush but not particularly thick dark-gray carpeting. The rear seats don't fold down for added cargo space, but do include a center pass-through for long, narrow items like skis or fishing rods. The customary Lexus First-Aid kit (something that is included in a number of premium-grade vehicles, not just Lexus products) is mounted up on the left wall. Under the trunk floor lies (Wonder of Wonders) a REAL spare tire and wheel.....something that, IMO, should be standard instead of a $205 option, and WAS standard in most Lexus models until the bean-counters took over. Oh well, I probably shouldn't complain.....at least it is available once again now, even if you have to pay a little more for it. I guess (?) enough ES owners complained about the temporary/donut spares that the marketers decided to give them with they wanted...for a few extra $$$$.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 with a contemporary START/STOP button and the electronic fob in the vicinity. The V6 idles quietly, but not as quiet as in some other Lexus models. This engine, though, has some spunk.....Lexus quotes a 6.8 second 0-60 time, but, giving it some gas, you get a noticeable shove in the back, and it feels like it could do a little faster than that. The published 254 ft-lbs. of torque, roughly, feels to me more like about 270-280, though some of that could (?) be the efficiency and ratios of the 6-speed automatic transmission. The exhaust, as you accelerate, is a little louder than I expected from a luxury-oriented Lexus product, and slightly louder than in the 2010 RX350 I reviewed last February with the same engine. That could be a result of the ES350's twin-chrome tail pipes, which may (?) create less back-pressure and give a freer-flowing exhaust (I didn't crawl under the car to see if it had a real dual exhaust system or the more common single-pipe wth the split/dual outlet type).

The butter-smooth, 6-speed automatic is typical of that found in most Lexus products, and is a lot like the equally smooth GM 6-speed automatics. The shifter is slick and smooth in its operation, but has an annoying zig-zag pattern (I have never liked that pattern). Manual Sport-Shifts are possible in the manual gate, but there are are no shift-paddles on the steering column.....in a luxury-oriented vehicle such as this, paddles usually are not expected. With 6 gear ranges, of course, you can have both short ratios for low-speed acceleration and tall overdrive gears for relaxed highway cruising.

The chassis is OK, but not one of the best ones I've seen for a premium-grade, upmarket car. I've already remarked, above, how the ES350, when it debuted in 2006/2007, traded the softer-riding 60-series tires from the old ES330 for lower-profile 55's, stiffening up the spring/shock damping as well. That, of course, firmed up the ride a bit...too much so, IMO, for a luxury-oriented premium sedan. Comparing the 2007's ride to the new 2010, there doesn't seem to be much difference, though a 2008 model that one of my colleagues recent bought did seem maybe a hair smoother....perhaps it was a different tire brand (?), since the tire size was (apparantly) still the same. But the 2010 model, to the seat of my pants, still had the somewhat jiggly ride over bumps that the 2007 had, so there is no apparant improvement there. But, that doesn't mean that the ride is actually stiff; it is not so by any means; just a little more so than what, IMO, the car's image should dictate. At the next major ES redesign, Lexus should, IMO, consider going back to the ES330's softer underpinnings/tires. Still, it's a long way from the brutally stiff Lexus IS-F........one of the young Lexus salesmen I talked to today, who had owned a Mitsubishi Evo (a classic rally car), said he thought the IS-F was even more jarring and uncomfortable over bumps. Having driven both Evos and the IS-F, I'd rate it about a toss-up, though the IS-F is, of course, markedly quieter than the Evo.

(I need to interject here, for a moment, that the tire pressures on the ES I drove may have not been right on, as the car was sitting partially in the sun, which heated up two of the tires and left the other two dark. That, of course, can affect the tire pressures, which I usually check for proper specs before a test-drive. I tried to get all four of them reasonably close, but that, combined with maybe a slight gauge error, could have slightly affected the tire PSI's and ride quality, so, to be honest, take at least some of my ride-quality comments with a grain of salt)

The borderline firmish ride, in the new ES, translates to good, quick, steering response at low speeds (surprisingly so), with little body roll, but, as road speed increases, steering response goes down noticeably and body roll goes up. Still, no problem......this car was not designed to carve corners with a BMW 3-series, and is not expected to do so. Road/tire noise isolation was excellent; Wind noise isolation was good, but seemed just a hair louder than I had noticed with several former ES330 and ES350 models. Brakes were generally smooth and effective, but had a rather spongy brake pedal in the first couple of inches of travel. Brake-pedal location/mount was good......there were no problems with my big, size-15 clown-shoes hanging up under the brake pedal going from gas to brake, or vice-versa.

THE VERDICT:

Lexus, for 2010, has taken a vehicle that I, personally, found disappointing when it first debuted several years ago, and has given it several indisputable improvements. Overall interior quality, especially in trim/hardware, is much better then before. Body sheet metal/doors feel more solid and well-built. A gorgeous new paint color (one of Lexus's best) is now available. The transmission is more capable, flexible, and responsive than ever before. The interior dash creaks/rattles have been banished. The NAV screen is fairly easy to use compared to many of its rivals. And the car has comfortable front seats instead of the press-your-butt seats found in so many of its competitors.

But a few gremlins remain. The chassis/tire combination, while OK, could be improved in several areas. The miniscule glove box is just plain silly. More headroom is needed for tall people, especially with the sunroof. The power-mirror switch needs a redesign. The No-See-Um underhood layout is insulting to just about anyone that does more than just put gas in a car and drive. And, IMO, AWD option is overdue for the ES.......in fact, Buick is already targeting this in its new 2010 LaCrosse ads. Buick offers an AWD option for the mid-range LaCrosse CXL with the 3.0L V6.

So, how does the new ES stack up against the new LaCrosse?............I'm sure that is on a lot of people's minds. Of course, there are many professional reviews and comparisons one can read in the auto magazines, but here's my opinion: It's a TOUGH choice. The Buick, of course, has the advantage of the AWD option. I also preferred the Buick's chassis, suspension, and tires....they are different (and much more responsive) from that the old 2009 Lacrosse, and yet still maintain acceptable ride comfort (by my standards). I also preferred the Buick's non-nonsense underhood design. I liked the engines/transmissions in both cars. Both cars have been better-than-average in reliability, but it is hard to beat Lexus in that department....only a few other Japanese brands can compare. The ES350 also has markedly better sheet metal, better interior materials/hardware, a noticeably better paint job, a better-designed trunk/cargo area, a REAL spare tire, generally better customer-service in its dealer network, and a better Mark-Levinson stereo option (though the Buick may have a better base-level stereo). Both cars now have excellent warranties, as Buick has recently upgraded its warranty to luxury-car standards.

So that, my friends, is a tough choice indeed. Happy shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 06:26 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review
Interesting fact about the exhaust noise level. When I first test drove an 08 model, I too noticed that the exhaust had a roar that was somewhat intrusive. When my 08 arrived, I was pleasantly surprised that it had no obvious exhaust noise. After 2 years the exhaust remains silent.
Old 11-07-09, 06:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the review,MM.
My '10 has the exact same options.
I agree with much of your review.Although many of your 'Minuses' weren't important issues to me.
I love the chrome accents in the interior along with the heated and ventilated soft black leather seats.
On your too firm ride...I agree.
I did change my tires to a better rated tire for ride comfort and noise which helped the ride a bit which makes me happier.
The OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400 were rated pretty low in all Tire Rack catagories including ride and noise comfort.
I would have loved a driver's seat lumbar support which a $41K car should have.
I looked at the LaCrosse and just didn't like it that much both exterior and interior wise.I found the car to be too long and didn't care for the overall shape.Interior was a bit too gaudy for me also.Afterv looking at it,I wasn't interested in test riding the car.
Another issue was I've been burnt by American badges too many times.
Old 11-07-09, 06:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent review. Glad to hear the interior has been improved somewhat. Unfortunately, that little wood trim above the glove box just looks too "added on" for me. Does it sit on the lip of the glove box so that it comes down with the box, or does the box open under the trim?
Old 11-07-09, 06:46 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Excellent review. Glad to hear the interior has been improved somewhat. Unfortunately, that little wood trim above the glove box just looks too "added on" for me. Does it sit on the lip of the glove box so that it comes down with the box, or does the box open under the trim?
I feel that piece is a nice touch.The trim is on the glovebox door so it comes down when the glovebox is opened.
Old 11-07-09, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus 1
Great review
Thanks.

Interesting fact about the exhaust noise level. When I first test drove an 08 model, I too noticed that the exhaust had a roar that was somewhat intrusive. When my 08 arrived, I was pleasantly surprised that it had no obvious exhaust noise. After 2 years the exhaust remains silent.
Of course, even so, we're not talking pony-car or diesel-truck levels of exhaust noise here. Just (maybe) a little more than one would expect of a car like the ES.

If the two cars were brand-new and not pre-owned with any engine/exhaust modifications, I can't necessarily pinpoint the reason for the discepancy in the exhaust tune of the two different '08s you drove. It could be any one of a number of factors....or perhaps even a defect in one of them.
Old 11-07-09, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thanks for the review,MM.
Sure...anytime.

My '10 has the exact same options.
Did you order it that way, or just choose it off the lot?

I agree with much of your review.Although many of your 'Minuses' weren't important issues to me.
Of course. Different people like.....and dislike......different things about a car. I have to call it not only as I personally see it, and my opinions, but to also try and be as objective as possible, as I know a number of people will be reading the review.

I love the chrome accents in the interior along with the heated and ventilated soft black leather seats.
Those, from what I could tell, are new for 2010 and were missing from the 2007-2009 models.

On your too firm ride...I agree.
I did change my tires to a better rated tire for ride comfort and noise which helped the ride a bit which makes me happier.
The OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400 were rated pretty low in all Tire Rack catagories including ride and noise comfort.
Bridgestone tires, in general, are OK but generally don't impress me that much either. For a smooth, quiet ride, the Goodyear Regatta tire is a good choice, but I haven't seen many of them around lately. A number of Michelin tires, of course, are are excellent all-around pieces of rubber, but many auto manufacturers don't use them because of their generally high cost.

I would have loved a driver's seat lumbar support which a $41K car should have.
Don't forget.....these seats are designed to sink down into and for softness, not for sports-car levels of support, although, if you are prone to backaches like many people, lumbar support is probably a good idea.

I looked at the LaCrosse and just didn't like it that much both exterior and interior wise.I found the car to be too long and didn't care for the overall shape.Interior was a bit too gaudy for me also.Afterv looking at it,I wasn't interested in test riding the car.
The new LaCrosse interior seems to be designed for form and styling rather than function. Its material quality, while better than past Buicks, cannot compare with the new ES. But, if you get another chance to test-drive one, take it. I think its chassis is actually better than that of the ES.

Another issue was I've been burnt by American badges too many times.
No doubt, American car companies have produced a lot of junk......too much, IMO. I, like you, got burned, several times, many years ago. But, today, Buicks and a number of Fords are above-average in reliability, according to Consumer Reports.
Old 11-07-09, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Excellent review.
Thanks.

Glad to hear the interior has been improved somewhat.
Yes, much (but not all) of the former cheapness has been dealt with.

Unfortunately, that little wood trim above the glove box just looks too "added on" for me.
Maybe so, but it sure beats the cheap-looking piece of plastic that was there before. Too bad there isn't a decent-sized compartment under it.

Does it sit on the lip of the glove box so that it comes down with the box, or does the box open under the trim?
If my memory is right, the trim opens with the box itself. That little square piece of chrome/brushed metal in the upper-left corner of the box lid, above the lock next to the wood strip, is the release-button.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-09 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 07:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen several new ES 350s lately, in red, silver, black...looks nice, more visually interesting, although the more prominent grille seems to shout out more on the red color. I'm glad that Lexus has upped the quality and design for the ES 350 refresh; instead of a more powerful engine as with the ES 300=>ES 330, they focused on improving the ES 350 packaging. I wouldn't be surprised to see a warning label for the start/stop button make it onto the dash or sun visor though, regarding the 3-second emergency push, related to the floor mat recall.
Old 11-07-09, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
I've seen several new ES 350s lately, in red, silver, black...looks nice, more visually interesting, although the more prominent grille seems to shout out more on the red color. I'm glad that Lexus has upped the quality and design for the ES 350 refresh; instead of a more powerful engine as with the ES 300=>ES 330, they focused on improving the ES 350 packaging. I wouldn't be surprised to see a warning label for the start/stop button make it onto the dash or sun visor though, regarding the 3-second emergency push, related to the floor mat recall.
That Matador Red is not just any red....IMO, it is a truly gorgeous shade. it seems to be a combination of the famous Candy Apple Red that was popular with custom cars in the 1950's, with maybe just a tiny tinge of red-orange added. It is almost exactly the same shade as the Inferno Red that Dodge and Chrysler offer, but, unlike Lexus, charge extra for.

The ES350, IMO, doesn't need a more powerful engine. True, some people are never satisfied, no matter how much power they have under the hood, but the 3.5L V6 in the ES350 has a pretty healthy dose of torque....all you will need for normal driving, and (probably) more than what the relatively modest 254 ft-lbs. would indicate. Even if Lexus finally adds the AWD option, (which is notoriously power-robbing), to compete with the AWD LaCrosse CXL, the 3.5L has enough spunk to do the job.
Old 11-08-09, 12:09 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! They updated the lower grill! Now it'll look great in colors other than black

I've been wondering if they would do that for quite some time now
Old 11-08-09, 02:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice review MM. It's nice to see that Lexus addressed some of the ES's shortcomings, such as the interior quality and a just a better more solid feel to the car.
Old 11-08-09, 03:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Sweet! They updated the lower grill! Now it'll look great in colors other than black

I've been wondering if they would do that for quite some time now
Blacked-out grilles are often (but not always) used for sport-oriented vehicles.
Old 11-08-09, 04:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review MM.
Thanks.

It's nice to see that Lexus addressed some of the ES's shortcomings, such as the interior quality and a just a better more solid feel to the car.

Yes....and the job's half-done now. The next thing they need to do (IMO) is to take the ride stiffness out by going back to the ES330's suspension/tires....which they never should have screwed with in the first place. It was OK to redesign the car (that's done periodically, of course) but it clearly didn't need the stiffer underpinings...that's what the sister IS models are for, if people want a sport sedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-09 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-08-09, 04:03 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone tell the difference between Spruce Mica (6v4) and Peridot Mica (6v6)?

I havent seen it in person yet but I love Spruce Mica on Camry

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus ES350