Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile: 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Same can be said about all the Lexus cars (minus the F-lineup)...
Not quite. The Lexus IS350 is pretty competent by sport-sedan standards, although, of course, not the equal of comparable BMW 3-series models.
Old 11-11-09, 11:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The editors in the article have a point........if you're going to buy a pocket-rocket, don't get the Corolla XRS. There are much better reasonably-priced sporty compacts out there if you want a pint-sized sporting machine.......Mazda3, VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Subaru Impreza GT/WRX, Chevy Cobalt SS, to name a few. Not that the Corolla XRS is a bad car......it is not, by any means. It's just that the Corolla platform, in general, doesn't offer the type of reponsiveness that a lot of pocket-rocket buyers are looking for; the XRS is just an economy car with smoothness/refinement, some added body trim, and a slightly larger engine.

No, the Corolla, IMO, is a better deal for those who, like with the Hyundai Elantra, want a well-built small car with refinement, quietness, a smooth automatic transmission, and a reasonably smooth ride. There, the Corolla excels.....especially in the LE or, better yet, the XLE version with the wood trim inside. With the XLE version, for less than 20K, you've got yourself a mini-luxury car that will be reliable and last a long time.

So, my advice is forget the XRS and shop for a Corolla only if you want refinement and quietness in a small car....and get the LE or XLE. If you want sportiness, forget the Corolla, period, and go with another make.
Sure, all these "pocket rockets" are good choices handling-wise if you drive mostly on silky smooth pavement.

In the *real world* however, especially in cities and locations where there are cold winters and hot summers as well as hilly terrain, cars with stiff sporting handling are a poor choice IMHO. Their suspensions crash, bounce, and stutter much of the time on rough or uneven pavement, which is exactly the sort of pavement common to cold winter/hot summer areas. Many of these cars also transmit road imperfections through the chassis, making for a hassle-filled an annoying ride. Hondas are notorious for this. Honda vehicles for the most part only have a decent ride on silky smooth pavement. On any pavement that is less-than-perfect, Hondas don't have a great ride.

Most race car drivers will tell you driving any race or sporty car with stiff handling on rough roads/pavement does not inspire that much confidence.

There is a reason why most race tracks have silky smooth surfaces.

In my area, I would choose an XRS over any other car in it's class simply it the suspension does not get nervous that much on rough or uneven pavement.

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am sorry guys, I just cant get excited talking about a Corolla
That's funny, you posted in this thread with a reply which means you are talking about the Corolla, and had enough interest to make a post in the first place.
Old 11-11-09, 11:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Corolla is a decent car but for my son,I went with a new '08 Civic LX sedan and it's been bulletproof for 36K miles.
My son and I both like the exterior and interior over the Corolla and you can't beat the Civic's MPG and it still has some spunk.
I would go Camry over Accord,though.
Old 11-11-09, 11:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Corolla is a decent car but for my son,I went with a new '08 Civic LX sedan and it's been bulletproof for 36K miles.
My son and I both like the exterior and interior over the Corolla and you can't beat the Civic's MPG and it still has some spunk.
I would go Camry over Accord,though.
I agree, I prefer Civic over Corolla and Camry over Accord too.
Old 11-11-09, 11:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree, I prefer Civic over Corolla and Camry over Accord too.

The Civic is the only Honda Corp vehicle I like.
Old 11-11-09, 12:23 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

24k is too much for a Corolla. I know it's not the same class, but you can get a V6 Camry LE Or a I4 Camry SE for around the same price, which is a total upgrade in every category (Except compactness). If the draw of the Corolla is comfort, reliability, and build quality over its competitors rather than performance, then I'd get a Camry instead.

Now that I look at the Toyota website, it looks like the XRS starts at 20k, which is more reasonable as long as you don't load it up with optional accessories and packages.

Overall, if the Corolla is going to compete as a sporty car, it needs to be sporty, not just look sporty.
Old 11-11-09, 01:20 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by primecut
24k is too much for a Corolla. I know it's not the same class, but you can get a V6 Camry LE Or a I4 Camry SE for around the same price, which is a total upgrade in every category (Except compactness). If the draw of the Corolla is comfort, reliability, and build quality over its competitors rather than performance, then I'd get a Camry instead.

Now that I look at the Toyota website, it looks like the XRS starts at 20k, which is more reasonable as long as you don't load it up with optional accessories and packages.

Overall, if the Corolla is going to compete as a sporty car, it needs to be sporty, not just look sporty.
I looks and handles sporty, but it just can't compete with a comparably priced Sentra SE-R or Civic Si in terms of overall performance.
Old 11-11-09, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Sure, all these "pocket rockets" are good choices handling-wise if you drive mostly on silky smooth pavement.
Of course. That almost goes without saying, though there are a few exceptions.

In the *real world* however, especially in cities and locations where there are cold winters and hot summers as well as hilly terrain, cars with stiff sporting handling are a poor choice IMHO. Their suspensions crash, bounce, and stutter much of the time on rough or uneven pavement, which is exactly the sort of pavement common to cold winter/hot summer areas. Many of these cars also transmit road imperfections through the chassis, making for a hassle-filled an annoying ride. Hondas are notorious for this. Honda vehicles for the most part only have a decent ride on silky smooth pavement. On any pavement that is less-than-perfect, Hondas don't have a great ride.
Honda pocket-rockets, harsh and noisy as they are, don't even begin to approach the excessive stiffness/harshness of the Mitsubishi Evo. And the entire Civic line, including the Si, evolved more and better suspension refinement through the years (of course, I haven't sampled the non-U.S. market Civic Type R; maybe you have). I did try the old Integra Type R while it was still here, it wasn't too bad.

Most race car drivers will tell you driving any race or sporty car with stiff handling on rough roads/pavement does not inspire that much confidence.
That's one reason why automakers often include stiffer underpinnings on Euro-market models than on American-spec ones....European roads, in general, are in better shape than here in America, especially in Northern cities and the Great Lakes Snow-Belt region.

There is a reason why most race tracks have silky smooth surfaces.
Not only because of the suspensions, but also because many race cars sit extremely low, and have even lower body-fairing ground clearance. The slightest bump or piece of debris in the road can cause significant body damage.

In my area, I would choose an XRS over any other car in it's class simply it the suspension does not get nervous that much on rough or uneven pavement.
I don't remember the exact specs of the stock XRS spring/shock damping rates (maybe you do, since you're with TRD? ) but, I believe that the XRS has stiffer underpinnings/tires than other Corolla models. Still, as you note, it is not likely to be that uncomfortable by pocket-rocket standards.
Old 11-11-09, 02:59 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

That's one reason why automakers often include stiffer underpinnings on Euro-market models than on American-spec ones....European roads, in general, are in better shape than here in America, especially in Northern cities and the Great Lakes Snow-Belt region.
I will have to concur on this one. The 'voies rapides' as they call them in France, are fantastic... but as soon as you stray away from the major arteries, it's sometimes even worse than here in Quebec, and we have the worst roads in North America here.
Old 11-11-09, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I will have to concur on this one. The 'voies rapides' as they call them in France, are fantastic... but as soon as you stray away from the major arteries, it's sometimes even worse than here in Quebec, and we have the worst roads in North America here.
Though the whole Great Lakes Region from Wisconsin to western New York State has deplorable road conditions from freeze/thawing, potholes, and frost heaves, in general, Michigan's are considered the worst, as it sits right in the very center of the region. I can't comment on the roads in Canada because I know little about them.........I'll leave that up to you.
Old 11-11-09, 03:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ahhhh, the 2.4L won't die.
Old 11-11-09, 04:09 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I'm wondering why they don't simply put the 2.5L V6 from the IS250 into the XRS... at least it will make 200 hp and be able to compete with the Sentra SE-R and Civic Si.
Old 11-11-09, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm wondering why they don't simply put the 2.5L V6 from the IS250 into the XRS... at least it will make 200 hp and be able to compete with the Sentra SE-R and Civic Si.
Probably because the 2.5L V6 is designed and mounted in a fore/aft, RWD/AWD setup in the IS250. It might not be able to serve in a transverse-mount, FWD Corolla setup.
Old 11-11-09, 07:24 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Probably because the 2.5L V6 is designed and mounted in a fore/aft, RWD/AWD setup in the IS250. It might not be able to serve in a transverse-mount, FWD Corolla setup.
I'm fairly certain that the people over at Toyota are smart enough to be able to modify the engine's design to make it fit a FWD platform.
Old 11-11-09, 10:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, the XRS lacks the performance-tuned engine to match the sporting appearance.
Yeah but remember the old Corolla XRS? It had the 2ZZ-GE Yamaha-tuned engine from the Celica GT-S (It was also in the Matrix XRS). It only came with a 6-spd manual (no auto was offered).

Though the whole Great Lakes Region from Wisconsin to western New York State has deplorable road conditions from freeze/thawing, potholes, and frost heaves, in general, Michigan's are considered the worst, as it sits right in the very center of the region. I can't comment on the roads in Canada because I know little about them.........I'll leave that up to you.
You need a trip to Québec (the province, not the city) . Their infrastructure is falling apart and that definitely includes roads. I must say Manitoba isn't that much better either.

Quick Reply: Automobile: 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS