Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile: 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Post Automobile: 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...xrs/index.html

• Free Insurance Quote • Search for Used Cars
More Photos
2009 Toyota Corolla Xrs Front Three Quarter View
2009 Toyota Corolla Xrs Rear Three Quarter View
2009 Toyota Corolla Xrs Side View
Email Article
Forum Discussion
Print
Subscribe

I won't lie - a Toyota Corolla with an automatic transmission hardly tops my dream car list. Having spent some time with it, though, I'd hasten to add that for the pragmatic buyer, the car still belongs near the top of the compact car heap.

The XRS has a genuinely premium, if not quite sporty, appearance. The seventeen-inch aluminum wheels and body extensions dress up the plain-Jane Corolla quite well. Factor in its considerable size, and you have a compact car that looks like it belongs in the premium mid-size segment.

That impression doesn't fade when you climb inside, where one finds nice leather seating and features galore. The $24,135 sticker on this tester is a bit shocking at first, but isn't any more than one would pay for a similarly equipped Mazda 3 or Volkswagen Jetta, though both of those cars offer more interior style.

The Corolla also drives reasonably well. The biggest surprise is the steering, which actually provides decent feedback. Much, much better than the last Camry I drove. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder provides ample, smooth power, and the 5-speed automatic responds quickly to jabs at the throttle.

Keep in mind, this isn't a Honda Civic Si or Mazdaspeed 3 competitor. In terms of base price, power, and disposition, the XRS lines up better with a Civic EX-L or Mazda 3 Grand Touring. Even then, the Corolla falls a bit short on personality. But for the compact car buyer in need of comfortable, upscale-feeling transportation, the Corolla certainly deserves a look.

• Free Insurance Quote • Search for Used Cars
More Photos
Email Article
Forum Discussion
Print
Subscribe

Over the past three decades, the Toyota Corolla has become synonymous with basic, dependable transportation. Contrary to the chrome wheels, racy body cladding, and leather seating, this XRS model is just that - basic. The I-4 is adequately powerful and the five-speed automatic is smooth, but there's hardly a single feature on this test example that isn't offered (or bested) by a competitor.

That may prove problematic, as the compact car segment grows increasingly competitive here in North America. Honda's Civic has the Corolla out-classed in terms of both ride and interior quality, to say nothing of the mature Volkswagen Jetta and Mazda 3. Even Ford's Focus - which drives better than the Corolla - manages to entice buyers with the gadgets included with the Sync package, and the improved European model is expected to arrive in the next year or so.

For those looking for a compact Camry, the Corolla is the car of choice, but for those looking for some additional content or charm, there are plenty of competitors that offer both.

The best thing about this car is its incredibly good high-beam headlights; they are every bit as good as a BMW's. I also note the very good stereo, the quick-acting heated seats, and the well-crafted cabin. The Corolla is roomy and comfortable, and it's a reasonably tied-down car and even offers more steering feel than we've seen in many Toyotas. It's a refined, comfortable, simple car that's easy to own and to drive. Anyone looking for excitement in their compact-car purchase, though, will want to check out the Honda Civic and the Mazda 3.

Joe DeMatio, Executive Editor ...next page >>

I echo the sentiments of my colleagues -- this Corolla is hardly a car that will warm the cockles of an enthusiast's heart. And really, it's not that easy to make a case for it on value, either. At the same time we had this Corolla in our fleet, we also had a Mazda 6 that stickered for only $800 more. That car offered more room and a more upscale feel than the Corolla, and it only averages 1 mpg less in both the city and on the highway. One thing the Mazda 6 doesn't have, of course, is the Toyota nameplate, which to many buyers is a synonym for reliability and build quality. And for those who are looking for those attributes, the Corolla is a reasonable car. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a well put-together compact car that will appeal to the masses.

Amy Skogstrom, Managing Editor ...next page >>

The Corolla XRS is a perfectly decent automobile, but it does absolutely nothing for me emotionally. It's a trite statement anymore, but this is the perfect appliance for people who simply want affordable, reliable, mundane transportation. The red paint and XRS trim help spice up the looks a bit, but not enough for me to want to drive a Corolla on a daily basis. The interior quality seems pretty good, although the materials aren't as appealing as what you'd find in a Honda Civic, among many others.

Still, for people who aspire to own a shiny new Toyota Prius or Lexus RX400h someday, the Corolla would be a splendid choice. However, those folks would probably argue that the best Corolla to buy wouldn't be this 2.4-liter four-cylinder-powered XRS but rather any of the other Corolla models, which come with a 1.8-liter four that boasts a 5-mpg-combined fuel-economy advantage versus the larger engine.

Rusty Blackwell, Copy Editor ...next page >>

2009 Toyota Corolla XRS

Base price (with destination): $20,770
Price as tested: $24,135

Standard Equipment:
Front airbags
Front and rear side curtain airbags
Air conditioner
Auxiliary audio input
Tilt and telescoping steering wheel
Cruise control

Options on this vehicle:
6-disc changer - $200
All-weather guard package - $150
-Rear seat heat duct
-Heated sideview mirrors
Leather package - $1490
-Leather seats
-Leather covered center console
-Heated front seats
Power package - $635
-Power windows with auto-down driver window
Remote keyless entry - $890

Key options not on vehicle:
Power moonroof - $1380

Fuel economy:
(city/hwy/combined)
22 / 30 / 25 mpg

Engine:
Size: 2.4L four-cylinder hybrid
Horsepower: 158 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 162 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Drive:
Front-wheel

Transmission:
5-speed automatic transmission

Weight: 2965 lbs

Wheels/tires:
17 in. aluminum alloy wheels
215/45R-17 all season tires

Competitors: Honda Civic, Chev

Old 11-08-09, 10:06 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the front, looks aggressive
Old 11-08-09, 10:09 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XRS in Magnetic Grey looks hot. Black looks better, yes, but higher maintenance. It's a little pricey in Canada. The rest of the Corolla lineup is fantastic value, however.
Old 11-08-09, 10:36 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

If I were considering a loaded compact car, Mazda 3 for me. The lower-end Corollas are a much better value. My GF and I almost bought a 2010 Mazda 3 a few months ago, but turns out we won't need another car until next year.
Old 11-09-09, 05:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Somehow leather in a Corolla seems odd to me.
Old 11-09-09, 05:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too bad. The sports kit works to improve exterior design.

Still, in my personal choice, I'd still pick a Civic (FD) over a Corolla anytime

Old 11-09-09, 05:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Still, in my personal choice, I'd still pick a Civic (FD) over a Corolla anytime
Same here, $25000 will buy a loaded Civic and then some, or maybe even a Altima. Although I am glad to hear Toyota improve on the electric steering, the last Corolla I drove with the electric steering was the worst I have ever driven.
Old 11-09-09, 07:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I actually really like the Corolla XRS...it is a good looking car for what it is. The Civic looks like it fell down a flightl of stairs and landed on it's hood, the 3 is unfortunately ugly, and the others fall somewhere in between. Visually the Corolla XRS is one of the best looking cars in the segment, IMO.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Chevy Cruze.
Old 11-09-09, 07:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I actually really like the Corolla XRS...it is a good looking car for what it is. The Civic looks like it fell down a flightl of stairs and landed on it's hood, the 3 is unfortunately ugly, and the others fall somewhere in between. Visually the Corolla XRS is one of the best looking cars in the segment, IMO.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Chevy Cruze.
It really is. I've bagged on the Corolla so many times, but on day I was heading to work, I saw this car in my rear view at a stop light. Did a double take, turned around thinking "man that looks savage". Turned out to be an XRS .... It really is aggressively handsome from the front.

Sad however, that it moved away from the Jekyll and Hyde personality of the last gen, and that it weighs 2900lbs.
Old 11-09-09, 07:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The car really looks like it's made for an 17 year old kid and mainly for the female gender.
Yes,another 'chick car'.
Old 11-09-09, 07:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Corolla is great transportation. There's a reason why it's the #1 selling car in the world.

But if we're talking about a compact sport FWD car, I think I'll lean towards a Mini Cooper. At least it's got the most personality than the Corolla and Civic...
Old 11-09-09, 07:39 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven

The FD Civic is a handsome car way nicer than the FA Stateside Civic, but in terms of the interior the Corolla Altis feels classier IMHO. I don't like how Honda PH is charging 900k PHP for the 1.8s version, though I wish Toyota would get rid of the 1.6L in the Altis and just put the 1.8 instead.
Old 11-09-09, 10:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

That impression doesn't fade when you climb inside, where one finds nice leather seating and features galore. The $24,135 sticker on this tester is a bit shocking at first, but isn't any more than one would pay for a similarly equipped Mazda 3 or Volkswagen Jetta, though both of those cars offer more interior style.
It's crazy that the so-called econobox is getting so expensive
My brand new 87 corolla dx was 16k otd.
I don't need wood, leather, body kit in a damn corolla.

It's suppose to be the
"cheap-dependable-brand-new-college-car-until-I-can-afford-a-new-nicer-car-when-I-graduate-and-get-a-real-job-car"
Old 11-09-09, 11:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Fine car for the money, even if it's not my taste.
Old 11-09-09, 11:54 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Somehow leather in a Corolla seems odd to me.
US market Civics and Mazda3 have leather on the loaded models too. If you have a good (durable and not furry) fabric like Mazda, leather is totally unnecessary for me.

I forgot to mention that I've driven a 2010 Corolla LE. It's exactly what I expected from a Corolla--featherweight steering and simple operation. Also provides exactly zero entertainment or excitement and openly discourages aggressive turning. Except in a parking lot!

Quick Reply: Automobile: 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS