Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes AMG Driving Event Coverage 11/8/09 (56K slight warning)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 11:17 AM
LexFather

Very good review Henry and wow, what a blast!! Glad to see Benz with such offerings and holding events like this. Being a history buff, I do like how Benz always plays their heritage whenever possible....its just cool to see the old vehicles and where the new ones come from.

Old 11-09-09, 12:35 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review Henry... thx for sharing!!
Old 11-09-09, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Thanks for the great report! Good pics, vids, and writeup. The SL63 does sound fantastic.

Quick comments:
  • As I understand it, the 63 designation is a throwback to the M100 engine.
  • Having driven the C63, I strongly disagree that it has tighter steering - in fact, I found the C63 had significantly worse feedback than the F... making it unpredictable in corners.
  • I hate, hate, hate the square quad pipes on the E63 - much prefer the oval ones like current C/SL/etc.
  • That said, if I were to ever buy my 2nd AMG, it'd probably be the E63. However, that's not going to happen as the F is already borderline too heavy for my tastes.
  • Finally, I'm just glad AMG is back to being naturally aspirated.
now that you mentioned, i think most of the time when i drove the isf, it's not in sport mode. i wonder if that makes big difference on the steering? but for sure i like the steering on the e63 more

you are right about the styling, i am not a big fan of the e63 myself. it just looks too "angled" for me, the previous generation looks perfect.

Originally Posted by AM1
i drove all of the same cars today. i felt that the C63 was the most high strung but, i feel will reward the experienced driver and those seats in the C63 are amazing, though a bit tight for me. the E63 was very balanced and really surprised me in overall response and handling. i can only imagine how it would drive with the sports package which was not in any of the cars at the event. the SL63 felt heavy, but not bad considering the SL63 has been out for quite a while. now i await the SLS at the LA auto show........
what time did you get there yesterday?

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the reviews So which one are you getting?
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
WOW !! Looks like you had a lot of FUN

Of the three, I'd take the SL63 !!

When will you take delivery ?
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Awesome write up Henry
Tired of the M3 already???

Of the three, I can't believe the C looks the best to me.

I still can't get over the ugly rear end of the new E (AMG didn't help either), new center console, and those quad pipes, but luckily the power/drive are making up for it
haha you guys think too much. i am a very poor guy now..... take my words

the e63 drives very nice, but yeah, not a fan of interior and exterior overall. i couldn't believe they don't even have suede roof lining!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good review Henry and wow, what a blast!! Glad to see Benz with such offerings and holding events like this. Being a history buff, I do like how Benz always plays their heritage whenever possible....its just cool to see the old vehicles and where the new ones come from.
yeah, i love how they put a lot of history and heritage too, i actually spent quite some time going over the cars on display!
Old 11-09-09, 01:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great writeup and thanks for sharing the pics! I wish I got an invitation to go there!
Old 11-09-09, 01:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Jesus christ the engine/exhaust note is to die for!! Sounds so muscular, and it has the power to back it up too.

Wonder what the SL65 is like
Old 11-09-09, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great event, and excellent reviews from an enthusiast's standpoint. Thanks!
Old 11-09-09, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSteg
Jesus christ the engine/exhaust note is to die for!! Sounds so muscular, and it has the power to back it up too.

Wonder what the SL65 is like
even louder even at idle. heard it before and it was ridiculous.

but yeah, all 3 cars sound very muscular when they take off. so the whole day it was "vroooom" after "vroooooom". i wonder how often did they have gas up the cars. i know they were checking the tires pretty often
Old 11-09-09, 03:48 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the great pictures & reviews, sorry I missed the event.

I don't no how MBZ manages to pack so many pounds into the SL, must be the top & hardware & extra metal for collision protection to meet MBZ safety standards
Old 11-09-09, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Thanks for the great pictures & reviews, sorry I missed the event.

I don't no how MBZ manages to pack so many pounds into the SL, must be the top & hardware & extra metal for collision protection to meet MBZ safety standards
talking to the personnel there, a lot of weight seems to be for the structural design to make it doesn't flex as much since it's convertible, and of course for collision protection as well as the top mechanism
Old 11-09-09, 05:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

great way to spend a day. Are you thinking od getting rid of the M3 and doing a E63 AMG ??? Man I can only imagine the way that thing pulls over 120 mph. To bad its goverened. I would take it to a Renntech shop and have the software installed into the ECU. I think they can easily pull another 60 - 70 hp. I have seen them do it on the C63 AMG at Dynocomp here in Scottsdale. The thing sounds insane when at full tilt on a dyno.

I hope one day to own a Benz. They are world class cars. Everything about the styling, performance, and fit and finish are top notch
Old 11-09-09, 05:28 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for a great write-up.
Old 11-10-09, 08:33 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review, videos and photos.

This image in particular looks like it was shot in the 1960s. The power of those whitewalls on the tires is really impressive!

Old 11-10-09, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha indeed it looks a bit "old" huh

but i have to say, those cars were in such prestige condition, i didn't even want anyone to get close to them. the paint is completely flawless and the interior condition (maybe re-conditioned) is just wow
Old 11-10-09, 08:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha indeed it looks a bit "old" huh

but i have to say, those cars were in such prestige condition, i didn't even want anyone to get close to them. the paint is completely flawless and the interior condition (maybe re-conditioned) is just wow
Pristine ?

I think I've seen you typed that twice in this thread, it must be similar to that crap and crab thing
Old 11-10-09, 09:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sigh, english as a second language never helps. let me go to dictionary...

Quick Reply: Mercedes AMG Driving Event Coverage 11/8/09 (56K slight warning)