Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Taurus SHO vs EVO X..... Is the SHO an EVO for adults????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 12:58 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Ford Torrance is a land boat. Doesn't drive like one, but looks like one. Those I've seen on the road are being driven by seniors. It's also rediculously overpriced.
The EVO is boy racer.
Two totally different demographics and IMHO, both lack grace, class, and prestige.
Funny, that car fits the profile of those in their 30's and 40's

And as 1SICKLEX posted, what other cars have the same drive train or = and for what prices since its sooooooooo over priced.
Old 11-10-09, 01:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.

And as 1SICKLEX posted, what other cars have the same drive train or = and for what prices since its sooooooooo over priced.
I've noticed the same thing with the CTS. While Caddy works their **** off trying to lower the average age of it's buyers, those I see in the CTS are still seniors. Some of this is the dealer's fault too. I've see more than one CTS with a vinyl top, pinstripes, and white walls.

For the price of a SHO, I'd rather be in a slower A4, 3-series, IS250, TSX, or C-class.
Old 11-10-09, 09:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
First question is if anyone really would pay 40k for a Ford. I know I'd pay 40k for a Mitsubishi long before I paid 40k for a Ford, and the MR can be had well below invoice (much less MSRP).

No question on which car wins the driving and handling categories, either.
This is a bit of a surprise to me. Ford ranks much higher than Mitsubishi in initial quality in every survey I have seen. The EVO is a total piece of crap except for its performance levels and the SHO is very close to these without the noise, rough ride, and quality problems of the EVO. I might have a problem paying $40K for a Ford, but there is no Mitsubishi that I would consider paying more than than $20K for. If I were in the market for a car like the EVO, the Subaru is a much better car for about the same money.
Steve
Old 11-10-09, 09:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For 40k there are plenty of other options vs buying a Ford product. I drove the older Yamaha SHO years back and you know what? Get past the extra speed, it is still a Taurus. Silly comparison.
Old 11-10-09, 09:26 PM
oldcajun
Racer

[For the price of a SHO, I'd rather be in a slower A4, 3-series, IS250, TSX, or C-class.[/QUOTE]

None of the cars you mentioned have enough rear seat room or trunk space to be a real sedan. The Taurus is about the same size as the A8, 7 series, LS460, or S class. Acura has no car in this class.

Consider the SHO as an A8 at A4 price, a 750i at 328 price, a LS460 at IS 250 price. Your friends might not consider the Taurus as a luxury car, but if you have an SHO and they have a 328, see which car the 4 of you want to take on a trip.

The only car in the same price class and size/performance class as the SHO is the V-8 Genesis and that car does not have AWD.

Stop the crap about $40K Fords and talk about a large sedan with AWD, a luxury interior, very high performance, and great mileage. What else is there?
Steve
Old 11-10-09, 10:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

for 40K I would get a G37 sedan. Its the perfect blend of evo and Taurus....kinda
Old 11-10-09, 10:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
[For the price of a SHO, I'd rather be in a slower A4, 3-series, IS250, TSX, or C-class.
None of the cars you mentioned have enough rear seat room or trunk space to be a real sedan. The Taurus is about the same size as the A8, 7 series, LS460, or S class. Acura has no car in this class.

Consider the SHO as an A8 at A4 price, a 750i at 328 price, a LS460 at IS 250 price. Your friends might not consider the Taurus as a luxury car, but if you have an SHO and they have a 328, see which car the 4 of you want to take on a trip.

The only car in the same price class and size/performance class as the SHO is the V-8 Genesis and that car does not have AWD.

Stop the crap about $40K Fords and talk about a large sedan with AWD, a luxury interior, very high performance, and great mileage. What else is there?
Steve[/QUOTE]

The OP did not specify the size he was trying to peg for himself. He also did not state how much trunk space he needs. He merely stated the Ford was larger and that was a attractive. Since he's considering the larger Ford and smaller Mitsu, it sounds like the medium size of the Audi, BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes would fall somewhere right in between the two cars he's considering. It's my opinion those cars offer solid power and decent mileage. And at the rate they sell, it appears plenty of people find the trunk space very acceptable.
Personally I think the Taurus interior is old-fashioned with it's retro dual cowls and gimmicky with it's buried and recessed gauges. It's also cheap that Ford offers the same rim on the SEL and SHO. The two cars do not look different enough.
Old 11-10-09, 11:15 PM
LexFather

Sad to see people dismiss it b/c of "badge".... name one other car that combines comparable qualities for the same price? We can't, there is none.

There is no doubt the price is high for a "Ford" but its not overpriced b/c of what it offers, its overpriced to some b/c of badge.

Old 11-10-09, 11:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sad to see people dismiss it b/c of "badge".... name one other car that combines comparable qualities for the same price? We can't, there is none.

There is no doubt the price is high for a "Ford" but its not overpriced b/c of what it offers, its overpriced to some b/c of badge.

That is a hypocritical statement Mike as you feel the same for other makes due to their 'BADGE". And how is it even sad? For you? How does it impact you in anyway what others feel? Why do you feel that others should feel the way you should do about cars? Give me a break, everyone is entitled to their opinion, you like it , so be it, but I am not going to bash you for it. But I will bash the car and the maker for sure.

Everyone has an opinion and I hate Fords based on prior experience (several). Is that so difficult for you to understand?
Old 11-10-09, 11:27 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
None of the cars It's also cheap that Ford offers the same rim on the SEL and SHO. The two cars do not look different enough.
The offering of the same wheel size does not change the basic characteristic of the cars. The SHO is a much different car than the Taurus Limited even with the 20" wheels. There is still nothing under $50K that offers the same kind of performance, room, and luxury as the SHO. I have a G35 coupe and really like the Infiniti products, but the G37 is very small inside. The SHO is M45 size and performance at G37 prices. Tough competitor!
Steve
Old 11-10-09, 11:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
That is a hypocritical statement Mike as you feel the same for other makes due to their 'BADGE". And how is it even sad? For you? How does it impact you in anyway what others feel? Why should others feel the way you should feel? Give me a break, everyone is entitled to their opinion, you like it , so be it, but I am not going to bash you for it.
Everyone has an opinion and I hate Fords based on prior experience. Is that so difficult for you to understand?
I'm sorry, did I say "Lee" anywhere? My post was not directed to anyone. My folks had a first gen SHO, lovely to look at, spacious, fast. Also a complete POS and in the shop weekly.

This is not the same Ford motor company. I am not even stating I would buy it. However to dismiss it just based on it being a Ford is "sad" and an uphill battle that American brands will have to continue to climb. Nowhere did I say everyone should feel the same way.

Old 11-10-09, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

For 40k there are plenty of other options vs buying a Ford product. I drove the older Yamaha SHO years back and you know what? Get past the extra speed, it is still a Taurus. Silly comparison.
Thank you, I completely agree.
Old 11-10-09, 11:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

OK, I retract the line drive your direction then.
Picture me, young 18, brand new Ford Taurus LX with the digital everything. It could probably tell me the temp of my rear end. $22,000 I believe is what I spent of my saved up money buying American. Sure that was looong ago.
Fast forward 6 months, twice it went through an intersection as the brakes failed. One of those I rear ended someone-slightly thankfully.
Ford wanted to charge me for the brakes, rotors, and brake booster (wearable items!!!!!). Come on. I now know that version Taurus had significant braking issues plus some. I was naive back then.

Still stubborn I owned two more Fords since (shame on me) and both the same iffy quality and horrible dealership service. So badge does mean something to me as I'm sure it does to you. The Lexus badge is synonymous to quality ,reliability ,dealer service ,etc. Of course there are always the hit and miss with everything, but overall the badge is indicative of what your buying and the company that stands behind it.

Further, sure the specs look good. They did on my Taurus when compared to the competition which is why it was a run away best seller. The specs on this SHO look great also, though not everyone wants a large car as stated several times here. But again, specs are one thing, how Ford treats their customers is something completely different. I prefer personal experience over anything else, so where does Ford stand in terms of dealership experience?

The badge is important. The dealer I purchased my first Ford went out of business as the owner got busted for drug smuggling down south. Just added icing to the entire experience.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-10-09 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 11:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The offering of the same wheel size does not change the basic characteristic of the cars. The SHO is a much different car than the Taurus Limited even with the 20" wheels. There is still nothing under $50K that offers the same kind of performance, room, and luxury as the SHO. I have a G35 coupe and really like the Infiniti products, but the G37 is very small inside. The SHO is M45 size and performance at G37 prices. Tough competitor!
Steve
I haven't researched it completely, but I believe the new S4 gets the same mileage and has similar 0-60 numbers. It's a shade smaller inside, but the dash and materials are studied by other manufacturers. It's also AWD and starts at $47k.
But for that figure, I'd take an IS350 and keep the change.
This is a great thread BTW.
Old 11-10-09, 11:47 PM
LexFather

OK, I retract the line drive your direction then.
Picture me, young 18, brand new Ford Taurus LX with the digital everything. It could probably tell me the temp of my rear end. $22,000 I believe is what I spent of my saved up money buying American. Sure that was looong ago.
Fast forward 6 months, twice it went through an intersection as the brakes failed. One of those I rear ended someone-slightly thankfully.
Ford wanted to charge me for the brakes, rotors, and brake booster (wearable items!!!!!). Come on. I now now that version Taurus had significant braking issues. I was naive back then.

Still stubborn I owned two more Ford since (shame on me) and both the same iffy quality and horrible dealership service. So badge does mean something to me as I'm sure it does to you. The Lexus badge is synonymous to quality ,reliability ,dealer service ,etc. Of course there are always the hit and miss with everything, but overall the badge is indicative of what your buying and the company that stands behind it.

Further, sure the specs look good. They did on my Taurus when compared to the competition which is why it was a run away best seller. The specs on this SHO look great also, though not everyone wants a large car as stated several times here. But again, specs are one thing, how Ford treats their customers is something completely different. I prefer personal experience over anything else, so where does Ford stand in terms of dealership experience?

But the badge, the badge.
And I completely understand how you feel. My experience is with Hyundai and a POS Scoupe Turbo as an 18 year old. Even as Hyundai is not the same company as when I owned one (like your experience with Ford), I doubt I would part money considering my experience years ago. We both are very unlikely to buy Ford/Hyundai b/c of past pissy experience. That is clearly THEIR problem to win us back, not ours and we have CLEARLY moved on (you more than me ).

That said, I will not dismiss Hyundai or Ford for their new efforts. I find them quite shocking and amazing. GREAT for someone else. Today they are both very good competition. I am still amazed at how the new SHO turned out. If you want more luxury, Mr. Johnson got the Lincoln MKS, a twin of the Taurus.

Quick Reply: Ford Taurus SHO vs EVO X..... Is the SHO an EVO for adults????