Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Taurus SHO vs EVO X..... Is the SHO an EVO for adults????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 11:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

HA! I turned in the Taurus for a Hyundai Excel. LOL. Trans went out within a year and the dealership redrew my contract and added in a service contract without my acknowledgment. That dealer also went belly up-located in San Bernardino-former Football star.

But your correct, the Genesis and SHO do look impressive. Winning back lost customers in any business is a challenge.
Old 11-10-09, 11:55 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evo for me
Old 11-11-09, 07:09 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I honestly don't see the Evo as being a young person's car. In fact, most people I seem driving around in them are wearing suits.
Old 11-11-09, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

they should have compared it to something else, all those luxury cars that Mike listed... Evo is completly different car and nobody in their right mind could cross shop them.

Ford is porky too.
Old 11-16-09, 01:28 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
This is a bit of a surprise to me. Ford ranks much higher than Mitsubishi in initial quality in every survey I have seen.
Not sure what initial quality has to do with anything I posted.

The EVO is a total piece of crap except for its performance levels...
Again, not sure what this has to do with anything I posted. Why would anyone buy an Evo if not for the performance? (Admittedly, it has more rear seat room than my F, but still.)

If I were in the market for a car like the EVO, the Subaru is a much better car for about the same money.
Subaru no longer has a direct competitor to the Evo, and I disagree that it's better in any case.
Old 11-16-09, 11:19 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by gengar
Subaru no longer has a direct competitor to the Evo, and I disagree that it's better in any case.
What? They're not making the WRX STI anymore?
Old 11-16-09, 12:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
What? They're not making the WRX STI anymore?
The Impreza STI is hatchback-only since 2008. This probably doesn't affect its classification much if at all in, say, Japan or Europe, but puts it in a different class in the US. It's also a shame they no longer call it a WRX STi.
Old 11-16-09, 02:21 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is definitely an interesting topic and comparison

I am amazed by how Ford has revamped its line up of cars and their overall quality.

I think the Taurus is an excellent choice for the middle aged business man who wants a luxurious car, but does not want to be labeled rich, wealthy, or a "snob"

The EVO on the other hand is for the younger guy in his twenties, or a middle aged guy who wants to be a kid again and have a "tricked" looking car.

The SHO does offer some great power, but why would you buy a full sized sedan if that's what you wanted? And if you did, would you spend 40K on a Ford Taurus. Ford is a great American company, but my problem is that they kept the name "Taurus." This model has always been their entry level sedan, like a Civic, but less quality. I think it will be hard for them to tackle this with the consumer market.

The SHO doesn't compare with anything because it's really its own class. You can't compare a G37 or Evo, but you can't compare an Lexus LS, BMW, etc.
The only thing I could think of comparing it to is an Audi. They offer large sedans with great performance, at a similar price...Plus you are getting and "Audi" not a "Ford."
Old 11-16-09, 04:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Impreza STI is hatchback-only since 2008. This probably doesn't affect its classification much if at all in, say, Japan or Europe, but puts it in a different class in the US. It's also a shame they no longer call it a WRX STi.
I don't agree. The Evo and the STi are still competitors.
Old 11-16-09, 07:18 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't agree. The Evo and the STi are still competitors.
I can't agree either. It's more of a personal opinion of yours, I think, because even here in the U.S. they are doing Evo X vs. WRX STi comparisons.
Old 11-16-09, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I honestly don't see the Evo as being a young person's car. In fact, most people I seem driving around in them are wearing suits.
Yeah, and it's usually the same suit:

Old 11-16-09, 08:07 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, and it's usually the same suit:

Lol, nice one. But I'm not even kidding. There are a few Evos in my area and all of them are driven by men in their thirties wearing Versace sun glasses and Armani suits.
Old 11-16-09, 08:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

I can't agree either. It's more of a personal opinion of yours, I think, because even here in the U.S. they are doing Evo X vs. WRX STi comparisons.
They'll do Evo vs. STI comparisons until the end of time (I'm still getting used to not typing in "STi"). Unfortunately, they also do SHO vs. Evo comparisons, as this , so I'm not sure that's saying all that much.

I hold no "personal opinion" on the matter. From performance and intent perspective the Evo and STI are very similar cars. It's just based on my observation that in the US, demo for a hatchback is much different than one for a sedan.
Old 11-16-09, 10:01 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

They'll do Evo vs. STI comparisons until the end of time (I'm still getting used to not typing in "STi"). Unfortunately, they also do SHO vs. Evo comparisons, as this , so I'm not sure that's saying all that much.

I hold no "personal opinion" on the matter. From performance and intent perspective the Evo and STI are very similar cars. It's just based on my observation that in the US, demo for a hatchback is much different than one for a sedan.
They compare the Lamborghini Gallardo to an Aston Martin DBS... yet the latter is a four-seater grand tourer and the former, a mid-engined supercar. They still compete in the same performance and price bracket, however, even if they are not exactly the same kind of car platform-wise.
Old 11-16-09, 10:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

damn it seems like because the cars in this comparison were poorly chosen it has stirred up a few members

Quick Reply: Ford Taurus SHO vs EVO X..... Is the SHO an EVO for adults????