Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it worth it in the long run to trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 04:59 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it in the long run to trade-in?

Hi guys,

I currently own an 08 IS250 and I've been thinking about trading it in for an 08 IS-F.

I have about 3 years left of payments on the IS250.

I went to the dealership and test drove one and really liked it. Although the ride was harsher than I thought it'd be and the exhaust was a little loud on idle, but I can live with those.

They ran some numbers and basically I'd be paying the same monthly payments as I am now but for 6 years.

As far as future car buying goes, if I did own an IS-F I'd be keeping it for awhile, not one of those guys that sell and buy cars every year. So it'd be a "long term" investment.

It seems like it'll be a better investment if I did the trade for an IS-F vs. a IS250 if I did need to trade/sell in the future. Yes I know there is no such thing as car "investment" since all they do is depreciate.

Please enlighten me with your wisdom!
Old 11-10-09, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Good question. Rarely is a car an "investment", they are depreciating assets. The other part of life is enjoying it and doing irrational things and if the IS-F brings a smile to your face that the 250 does not, well isn't it "worth" it?

What "numbers" did they run? You see the dealer will try to keep payments the same but that usually means they are less likely to discount the vehicle, give you money for your trade etc. Always negotiate the price of the car, then you go and negotiate terms.

Old 11-10-09, 05:12 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good question. Rarely is a car an "investment", they are depreciating assets. The other part of life is enjoying it and doing irrational things and if the IS-F brings a smile to your face that the 250 does not, well isn't it "worth" it?

What "numbers" did they run? You see the dealer will try to keep payments the same but that usually means they are less likely to discount the vehicle, give you money for your trade etc. Always negotiate the price of the car, then you go and negotiate terms.
it did bring a smile to my face

numbers they ran were my pay off amount versus trade-in value with the selling price of car. i asked them about lowering the price of the is-f, she said "no" pretty fast. it's already pretty low in my opinion around $44k with 20k miles.
Old 11-10-09, 05:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OutCaster
Hi guys,

I currently own an 08 IS250 and I've been thinking about trading it in for an 08 IS-F.

I have about 3 years left of payments on the IS250.

I went to the dealership and test drove one and really liked it. Although the ride was harsher than I thought it'd be and the exhaust was a little loud on idle, but I can live with those.

They ran some numbers and basically I'd be paying the same monthly payments as I am now but for 6 years.

As far as future car buying goes, if I did own an IS-F I'd be keeping it for awhile, not one of those guys that sell and buy cars every year. So it'd be a "long term" investment.

It seems like it'll be a better investment if I did the trade for an IS-F vs. a IS250 if I did need to trade/sell in the future. Yes I know there is no such thing as car "investment" since all they do is depreciate.

Please enlighten me with your wisdom!

Are you sure?
Daily driver day after day with that harsh ride.
Low profile 35 series rear 19" tires and wheels and potholes don't mix either.
An IS-f is a perfect pleasure car but not good as a daily driver,IMO.
Old 11-10-09, 05:34 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't really call the IS-F a harsh ride; IMO it's just a little stiffer than most other Lexus but by no means 'harsh'.

My best advice is not to look at a car as any kind of investment, you will loose money, so I would suggest just going with which ever one you can afford and makes you happiest.
Old 11-10-09, 06:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,044 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Are you sure?
Daily driver day after day with that harsh ride.
Low profile 35 series rear 19" tires and wheels and potholes don't mix either.
An IS-f is a perfect pleasure car but not good as a daily driver,IMO.
If you owned one you wouldn't say this. Mine is my DD. It's just fine.
Old 11-10-09, 06:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you owned one you wouldn't say this. Mine is my DD. It's just fine.
Compared to a ES350, it's relatively harsh
Old 11-10-09, 07:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,044 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Compared to a ES350, it's relatively harsh
Compared to my Supra it's a featherbed.
Old 11-10-09, 07:52 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

lol please guys! back to the point ... i would like one, but it's tough to make the argument when i have a 250 already. if i had like a some other older car, i'd make the jump. i just don't know heh
Old 11-10-09, 08:26 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if u really like the car and if its not goin to hurt u financially then pull the trigger...but before, go back negotiate more with IS-F pricing and shop around for rates...banks are offering amazing car loans rates...
Old 11-10-09, 08:34 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. How much did the dealer quote you for the IS250 trade-in? Are you going to put down any money for the IS F besides the trade-in?

2. How much do you still owe on the payment?

3. How much did the dealer quote you for the IS F?

4. What are you paying monthly right now for the IS250? How much would you be paying monthly if you trade in for the IS F?
Old 11-10-09, 09:26 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
1. How much did the dealer quote you for the IS250 trade-in? Are you going to put down any money for the IS F besides the trade-in?

2. How much do you still owe on the payment?

3. How much did the dealer quote you for the IS F?

4. What are you paying monthly right now for the IS250? How much would you be paying monthly if you trade in for the IS F?
1. Didn't get an actual appraisal, but ball part only $25,500.00. Probably no money down, keep in bank for backup

2. About $28k

Another question I had would be what happens to my extended warranty on my IS250 that I probably foolishly paid for? Do I get remainder of money back or can it be transferred to is-f?

3. $44,900 08 IS-F with 20k miles

4. They'll be equal
Old 11-10-09, 09:39 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another question I had would be what happens to my extended warranty on my IS250 that I probably foolishly paid for? Do I get remainder of money back or can it be transferred to is-f?
Don't hold my words for it but I think you'll get nothing back and you can't transfer to the IS F.

1. Didn't get an actual appraisal, but ball part only $25,500.00. Probably no money down, keep in bank for backup

2. About $28k

3. $44,900 08 IS-F with 20k miles

4. They'll be equal
You are right, according to KBB, your 2008 IS250 has a trade-in value of around $25k right now with the assumed 20,000 miles on it. So with the information you've provided I calculated that your total loan amount will be $52,278 with 5% APR finance (that's very generous). For 48-month, your monthly payment will be $1,203.92, 60-month will be $986.55 and 72-month will make it $841.93. Personally I doubt you are paying that much for your IS250 right now so if I were you I will think it through one more time.

I faced the same situation like yours about 2 years ago when I was debating whether or not to trade in my '06 IS350 for a '05 E46 M3 (8,000 miles, was in mint condition). At the time I was paying $800 a month and was only 2 years into my 5-year finance, if I had picked up the M3 at the time I would be paying around $850/month with a fresh 5.5-year finance term. I have to be honest that it was really tempting at the time but now I am really glad that I didn't pull the trigger since now I have less than 1.5 years left on my finance which will give me A LOT of flexibility once it is over.

However, it is ultimately depends on what you really want, what you need to do right now is to decide whether to follow your heart or follow your head.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-10-09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 09:47 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Don't hold my words for it but I think you'll get nothing back and you can't transfer to the IS F.

You are right, according to KBB, your 2008 IS250 has a trade-in value of around $25k right now with the assumed 20,000 miles on it.
Yep, I have 21k miles on it. I'll shop around for IS-Fs at a lower price. I'm in no rush.
Old 11-10-09, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

A couple things.
1) The ISF is generally not the type of car people hold on to for long periods of time. These are specialty cars that garner a lot of hype when new(er), but are simply not practical. If it's your daily driver, there's a good chance you are going to enjoy it for a while but grow tired of it as the years wear on. If it's a weekend car, that's different. But it's rare for people to hold on to intense cars like this for a long time unless they are a collector or have a second car.
2) Never buy any car based on what the payment comes out to be. If you do it that way, you have no idea how much the dealer is discounting the vehicle or how much credit he is giving yours. He could be robbing you blind and you'd never know. Or, your current payment could be too high to begin with and that will carry over for another six years on the ISF. Try to find his cost and bargain up from that. Then try to stick to your blue book value as high as possible.
Having said all that, I love the ISF and I'd do everything I could to tolerate the harsh ride (it's been noted by every long-term car mag test the ride is "too harsh," whatever that means). The car looks sinister, the blue gauges are hecka cool, and the thing is fast as crap. Also don't forget to figure in increased insurance payments and a few extra tickets.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it in the long run to trade-in?