Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Place your bets!!!
Ducati Desmosedici RR
59.09%
Ferarri 430 Scuderia
18.18%
Goat on rollerblades will fly past both...
22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Who will win: Ducati Desmosedici vs Ferrari 430 Scuderia?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 08:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who will win: Ducati Desmosedici vs Ferrari 430 Scuderia?

Which is fastest - the Ducati Desmosedici RR or the Ferrari 430 Scuderia?

Car fans will argue a supercar can out-brake and out-corner a bike, but we'll point out that a bike's power-to-weight ratio is much better, so in a straight race the car will never even get close enough to the bike to use its 'magic' powers.

To prove two wheels are better than four forever, we’re pitching arguably the best road bike in the world against one of the best road cars, in perfect conditions at the Almeria circuit in Spain.

Watch the video to see the result: Video Link

Old 11-11-09, 09:02 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

screw both...goats will top.
Old 11-11-09, 09:12 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bike, not even close.
Old 11-11-09, 10:00 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

It wasn't much of a surprise to me which one won.

Great video nonetheless
Old 11-11-09, 02:22 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Actually surprised it wasn't a little bit closer. Not surprised the Duc won, just that the Ferrari lagged so far behind.

Now I'm jonesing to ride. Good thing I haven't put the bikes into winter storage yet...
Old 11-11-09, 02:28 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coooool vid!
Old 11-11-09, 08:40 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Both sound amazing. I voted for the car, but i knew going in the bike would be faster, i just thought it would be much closer. There was a track comparison a year or two ago of a GSX-R vs a Corvette Z06, and yes the bike won, but the corvette was close.
I always wondered on a twisty mountain road with alot of curves, if a well set up lightweight powerful car, like a FD Rx-7, could beat a bike like the GSX-R.
Old 11-12-09, 05:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I enjoyed that!
Old 11-14-09, 08:09 AM
NO1ZX6R
Rookie

A cycle will usually win, especially on a road course. The outright lap record at Laguna Seca for example is held by a MotoGP bike and the "car" lap record is held by a F1 car. For the most part cycles CAN out corner and out brake cars and can usually carry more speed through the turns as well. Hence lower overall lap times.
Old 11-14-09, 10:49 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Not familiar with that track or what kinds of tires they used on the car, but realistically, a track car would destroy a bike, any bike, around the track.

I'll give you an example.
Beaver Run, PA track: A professional ridden race bike finishes in 59 secs BEST. A modified street driven track car, could easily manage 57 secs. A proper track can do it in 53 seconds.

Nelson Ledges, OH track. A professional ridden race bike finishes in 1:02 or so. Car comparable car would do it in 58 secs or so.

Both track are different. Beaver Run is a shorter, tighter track. Nelson Ledges is straighter much faster track.

Again, a comparable car would destroy a bike. Bikes; however, do better on faster tracks.

I road race both cars and bikes.
Old 11-14-09, 11:03 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NO1ZX6R
A cycle will usually win, especially on a road course. The outright lap record at Laguna Seca for example is held by a MotoGP bike and the "car" lap record is held by a F1 car. For the most part cycles CAN out corner and out brake cars and can usually carry more speed through the turns as well. Hence lower overall lap times.
Source?

I thought its held by a Champ Car.
Old 11-14-09, 01:18 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

I don't know what kind of race bike(s) you saw/race at beaver run or ohio and whose grandma was riding that race bikes, but there is no road legal car that will run faster than Ducati Desmosedici RR in ANY road course IF you put comparable drivers/riders on both cars and the bike.

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Not familiar with that track or what kinds of tires they used on the car, but realistically, a track car would destroy a bike, any bike, around the track.

I'll give you an example.
Beaver Run, PA track: A professional ridden race bike finishes in 59 secs BEST. A modified street driven track car, could easily manage 57 secs. A proper track can do it in 53 seconds.

Nelson Ledges, OH track. A professional ridden race bike finishes in 1:02 or so. Car comparable car would do it in 58 secs or so.

Both track are different. Beaver Run is a shorter, tighter track. Nelson Ledges is straighter much faster track.

Again, a comparable car would destroy a bike. Bikes; however, do better on faster tracks.

I road race both cars and bikes.
Old 11-14-09, 03:58 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
I don't know what kind of race bike(s) you saw/race at beaver run or ohio and whose grandma was riding that race bikes, but there is no road legal car that will run faster than Ducati Desmosedici RR in ANY road course IF you put comparable drivers/riders on both cars and the bike.
Speaking from experience? or just talking out of your rear?

AMA and WERA riders.
Old 11-14-09, 07:51 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

And exactly what kind of prepped car ran 58secs at Nelson Ledges?? Did you drive this car?

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Speaking from experience? or just talking out of your rear?

AMA and WERA riders.
Old 11-14-09, 08:43 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
And exactly what kind of prepped car ran 58secs at Nelson Ledges?? Did you drive this car?
Freedom Autosport's GTR on street tires. I was there. I, along with Freedom Autosports, rented the track for the whole day.

This picture is from the day car ran a 57 sec, in march, on cold 34 degree semi wet track

I have raced my bike there for 4 years now.
My best times are 1.04 on street tires.

Pros ( AMA and WERA riders) with sticky tires manage it in 1 flat to 1.02. Though the record for a bike is lower.

Look I am not trying to argue with you. Fact is, on most track, a car will destroy a bike. Only time bike has a chance is when the track has minimum turns and is high speed track.

Nelson Ledges, it was a race prep Porsche. I can't recall the exact car, but a guy I know, who holds the record, owns it.

Last edited by Jujharoo; 11-14-09 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Who will win: Ducati Desmosedici vs Ferrari 430 Scuderia?