Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

? on insurance $ for getting car fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09 | 02:55 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Default ? on insurance $ for getting car fixed.

A few weeks ago a truck blew it's tire in front of me on the freeway. Couldn't avoid the mess and ended up with ~$1000 worth of damage (chips, broken fog light, and ding). Fortunately I was able to catch up to the truck and speak to the highway patrol. I filed a claim against the truck's insurance and they are paying. I got an estimate for the damage, showed them a copy, and today received a check for the amount. So far, so good. Now I am ready to have the car fixed.
My question is, how do they know the repair is going to cost exactly what the estimate was? What if the repair ends up less? Do I have to send them the difference? Are they normally in contact with the repair shop to monitor the outcome? What if it's more than what the estimate was?
Also, they said they would cover my rental expenses. When does this happen? The letter that came with the check only states payment for the repair, but nothing about a rental. Do I pay for the rental myself and then send them a copy of the bill? How long can that drag out? Anyone go through something similar?
Just curious before I send my car in.
TIA
Old 11-12-09 | 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You should have gotten an estimate before you took their check, then u would have some idea of how much it should cost. I would find a body shop that you like and show them the check and ask them to do it for that amount or you can take a chance and ask for an estimate and if charge u less, u keep the money.
As far as the rental, did the other insurance company promise u a rental, if so, then just as them to which rental agency will charge them directly so u dont have to pay up front.
Old 11-12-09 | 01:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
You should have gotten an estimate before you took their check, then u would have some idea of how much it should cost. I would find a body shop that you like and show them the check and ask them to do it for that amount or you can take a chance and ask for an estimate and if charge u less, u keep the money.
As far as the rental, did the other insurance company promise u a rental, if so, then just as them to which rental agency will charge them directly so u dont have to pay up front.
I did get the estimate first. Then the adjuster came to me to photo the car and photo the estimate. He then turned it in and I got the check in the mail two weeks later.
They promised me a rental, but I don't see how they can pay for it while I'm there in person picking it up or dropping it off. I am trying to avoid having to be re-embursed.
Old 11-12-09 | 02:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You should be fine assuming the other guys insurance is a reputable insurance company.

My previous ML350 was rear-ended by a Mercury-insured driver and they took care of everything (repair, rental which they arranged and paid Enterprise) without any out of pocket expense. I had a single contact person at Mercury that handled the case from beginning to end.

I did select my independent body shop based on a trusted person at Mercedes dealership and Mercury approved the use of that shop.

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-12-09 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-12-09 | 04:06 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

The body shop you take your car to will work with the insurance company on the cost of repair. If it ends up being more, the insurance company will pay the body shop directly - and the body shop will request the amount that the insurance company has given you already.

I'm not sure on the rental situation though. The (other) insurance company always set up an appointment for me to get a rental.
Old 11-12-09 | 09:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies. I think they will cover everything as you all predict.
Made the appointment today for the fix next week. Then life can return to normal and I can start focussing on those replacement F-Sport springs! I didn't want to take my car to the dealership with this minor damage.