Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Five Clunker Cars To Avoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wasn't just going by my own opinion. One of my friends (and ex-co-workers) has had a number of older Porsches (including 911s and 928s) and has showed me how expensive getting parts for them can be.....and, in his case, he did much of the actual work himself.

And the prices, of course, can be different for an engine, depending on if it is overhauled, rebuilt, remanufactured, or an actual brand-new engine from the factory.

You are correct, BTW, that Porsche engines need repairing or replacing more than some people think. For one thing, Porsches, in general, tend to be driven hard, with stress put on them.
Again, to keep the facts coming here, modern Porsche water-cooled engines are not overhauled or rebuilt by the dealers, they are replaced with remanufactured engines. So there is no price difference for comparison (since they are not rebuilt or overhauled).

My references are not to Porsches of the good ole days, I am referring to the modern Porsche engines (water-cooled) beginning with model year 1997. The issues with engine failures are not due to hard usage and are mainly due to known design flaws. Many of the engine failures of the last decade are on cars that have been pampered.

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-16-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Again, to keep the facts coming here, modern Porsche water-cooled engines are not overhauled or rebuilt by the dealers, they are replaced with remanufactured engines. So there is no price difference for comparison (since they are not rebuilt or overhauled).
OK, we'll drop this issue.....no need to go on with it. In the sense you are using it (what is actually done at dealerships) you're pretty much correct. Porsche dealerships don't do half-a**ed rebuilds....they pretty much go all the way. But that, of course, is expensive.

My references are not to Porsches of the good ole days, I am referring to the modern Porsche engines (water-cooled) beginning with model year 1997. The issues with engine failures are not due to hard usage and are mainly due to known design flaws. Many of the engine failures of the last decade are on cars that have been pampered.
Just a side note......don't want to get too far off-topic, but an interesting tidbit. Porsche didn't really want to go the liquid-cooled route. After all, except for the front-engined 928/944, they were pretty much upholding an air-cooled tradition since the 1940s. But ever-increasing emission rules pretty much forced them into it. Air-cooled engines not only had super-long warm-up times, especially in cold weather, with poor heat/defrost in the cabin, but the uneven combustion temperatures in each cylinder that are more or less interent with air-cooling made precise air-fuel mixtures (air density varies with temperature) and a precise emission level hard to achieve. In addition, air-cooled engines are loud, and unless the exhaust system/seals are prefectly maintained, and all the parts are in perfect condition with no leaks, air-cooled engines had a reputation for exhaust/carbon monoxide mixing in with the air-cabin heat.....I'm sure you'll remember that from air-cooled VWs. So, for all these reasons (and more), Porsche decided to join everyone else with liquid cooling.

The air-cooled Chevy Corvair (I'm sure you remember it) tried to get around the slow warm-up and weak heat/defrost problem by a separate gasoline-burning heater for the cabin, but that was just one of several potentially dangerous features on the car that Ralph Nader had a field day with.
Old 11-16-09, 01:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Just a side note......don't want to get too far off-topic, but an interesting tidbit. Porsche didn't really want to go the liquid-cooled route. After all, except for the front-engined 928/944, they were pretty much upholding an air-cooled tradition since the 1940s.
Side note, to be at the leading edge of high-performance Porsche had no choice but to go water-cooled (besides the emissions and noise reasons you already mentioned). In short, DOHC configuration runs too hot with air-cooling, therefore watercooling was required with the modern high-output DOHC config.
Old 11-16-09, 01:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Any knowledgeable poster on CL could have easily come up with a list like this one.
Old 11-16-09, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Any knowledgeable poster on CL could have easily come up with a list like this one.
You mean, like the thread title, a list of potential lemons, poorly-performing, and risky-buy vehicles? I totally agree. You, me, and Mike (1SICKLEX) alone could come up with at least several dozen, even without consulting reliability charts. And others, like lobuxracer, lexmenow, bitkahuna, Threxx, Trexus, spwolf, FKL, etc.....could probably add many more.
Old 11-16-09, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You mean, like the thread title, a list of potential lemons, poorly-performing, and risky-buy vehicles? I totally agree. You, me, and Mike (1SICKLEX) alone could come up with at least several dozen even without consulting reliability charts.
Exactly and even with use of reliability charts which would just be further evidence.
Old 11-16-09, 02:26 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm.. Don't see any Japanese based cars hehe

Pursue Perfection Baby...

Not surprised by Jaguar. My Father had one, might as well have tow truck follow you!
Not surprised by the American companies...

MB and BMW is surprise but they will obviously be expensive to repair.