Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Sagging SUV sales, weak dollarWILL bring Mercedes C-class production to U.S

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 11:09 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The C classes built in South Africa are all RHD and built for RHD markets such as the United Kingdom or Japan for instance. According to the latest UK owner satisfaction surveys, the W204 C class has been very pleasing. Yes, that's the one built in South Africa.
Not true. When I bought my C class, I knew that they could come from two places, Germany or SA. However, when I specialed ordered mine, I got to choose which plant it came from. Of course, I chose Germany.
Old 12-04-09, 12:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my C-class I assumed it was from Germany. I haven't even bothered to verify which shows how concerned I was.
Old 12-04-09, 12:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol check the door jam one of these days and let us know
Old 12-04-09, 12:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol check the door jam one of these days and let us know
Will do, just for giggles.

Checked doorjamb in the evening, Stuttgart, manufactured in Germany.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-06-09 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,571 Posts

great quality vehicles can be made ANYWHERE, by ANY people. what matters is the equipment, the training, the management, the workers, the designs, and above all the PROCESS.

to say americans, africans, indians, whomever can't make quality vehicles is flat wrong given the above.

again, i don't see people complaining about the quality of RX's made in Canada, or accords made in ohio.
Old 12-04-09, 10:26 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Only sedans are made in East London, South Africa, right? Station wagon/estate versions (S204) are all made in Germany right?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great quality vehicles can be made ANYWHERE, by ANY people. what matters is the equipment, the training, the management, the workers, the designs, and above all the PROCESS.

to say americans, africans, indians, whomever can't make quality vehicles is flat wrong given the above.

again, i don't see people complaining about the quality of RX's made in Canada, or accords made in ohio.
I kinda agree somewhat........although personally I **** at the idea of BMW 5ers made in Malaysia, E90s made here locally (next to an old Kia factory line) or Jags or Land Rovers made in India though with TATA financial earnings bouncing back, it looks like they'll stay in the UK

No offense (and no I don't mean to be racist or offensive to any culture or people in any way) but we have to put things in perspective. Let's be honest here though.

If you were a premium car buyer, would you still buy your Lexus if it were made say in a factory in Uganda or an Audi A6 built in Bangalore, India?

Hehe such is indeed the power of human perception
Old 12-04-09, 10:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I 100% agree here. It starts with the management down. We have seen for instance the RX have high quality no matter where it is built. In Contrast BMWs built in Germany, S.A, South Carolina are all maybe average in quality. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

I do want to say the BMW plant in South Africa won a quality award last year.