Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 06:27 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm

Old 11-23-09, 06:28 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
For some reason the 1GX looks significantly larger in this picture:

Maybe it's the angle?
Right now I am trying to find the specs to compare to the 1GX

GX470
Width = 74.0"
Length = 188.2"
Height = 74.6 "
Wheelbase = 109.8 "

GX460
Width = 74.2 "
Length = 189.2 "
Height = 72.6 " (standard w/side-rails - 73.8 " (premium w/antenna)
Wheelbase =109.8 "

Last edited by JessePS; 11-23-09 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 06:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't see how Lexus parked the 460 next to the 470 and thought, "Man we have really come up with a truck that is better looking." Especially from the front.

IMO, the 470 is a lot more handsome and I like the fact that it doesn't have some of the gimmicky styling up front. As I have said numerous times, for anyone who does true off roading (even light) you know what a godsend body cladding is. For that reason I don't understand why Lexus stripped all of it off.
Old 11-23-09, 07:21 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

This is car connections take on the new GX.

As appealing as this package is, Lexus agrees that this segment has declines significantly and only hopes to sell a fraction of what they did say five years ago. We couldn't help but wonder if Lexus would have been better off bringing out their own version of Toyota's Highlander, or a companion model of the RX 350 with more rugged cues and slightly more 'buff' capabilities. And it's hard to imagine who really looks at a GX nowadays, so we asked. Apparently the GX skews heavily toward affluent older married men.

There are a lot of reasons left to consider the GX 460, but cargo space or versatility really isn't one of them. If you buy a ute like this with the idea that you'll have plenty of space for weekend antiquing, you're bound to be disappointed. Compared to the Toyota Highlander, which is roughly the same size on the outside and nearly identical in overall length and wheelbase, the GX has less than half the cargo space, whether you look at the figures with the second or third rows down or both up.
Although I don't agree that Lexus needs a Highlander or butch RX, I think a new 3 row crossover similar to the Mercedes GL would be perfect for the brand and for sales.
Old 11-23-09, 08:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Edmunds review: http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gx-4...rst-drive.html

The cargo room is really quite astounding. I can't believe how much was lost to accomodate the folding 3rd row.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-23-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 08:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Edmunds review: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/

The cargo room is really quite astounding. I can't believe how much was lost to accomodate the folding 3rd row.
Anything is better than the old fold and flip to the side 3rd row seats.
Old 11-23-09, 08:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

With double the cargo room I am not sure that I agree. I would rather be able to a) flip them up when not in use or b) take them out all together.
Old 11-23-09, 08:33 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I am warming up to the look, but the more I look into the specs, the more I realize Lexus dropped the ball.

Seriously, it has some nice bits, and I really, really want to like this thing, but Lexus;

1- 300hp is behind the curve.

2- 500lbs. In a vehicle that is virtually the same size as the last gen. KDSS & fold flat seats really THAT heavy? I'm not buying it. All your cars need to go on a diet, STAT, which is why you can only get 17mpg from an engine which is virtually the same as the on in the LS460, but with 80hp and 40ft-lbs tq LESS.

3- If you were going to keep the barn door, why not switch it to the other side? Virtually EVERY GX driver has complained about this, c'mon.

4- Where TF did all the cargo room go? Is there a typo in your press release?

5- Ugly wheels.

6- Stop showing your cars or the first time in those LAME colours.

Old 11-23-09, 08:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

With double the cargo room I am not sure that I agree. I would rather be able to a) flip them up when not in use or b) take them out all together.
double cargo room, what?
Old 11-23-09, 08:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I am warming up to the look, but the more I look into the specs, the more I realize Lexus dropped the ball.

Seriously, it has some nice bits, and I really, really want to like this thing, but Lexus;

2- 500lbs. In a vehicle that is virtually the same size as the last gen. KDSS & fold flat seats really THAT heavy? I'm not buying it. All your cars need to go on a diet, STAT, which is why you can only get 17mpg from an engine which is virtually the same as the on in the LS460, but with 80hp and 40ft-lbs tq LESS.

3- If you were going to keep the barn door, why not switch it to the other side? Virtually EVERY GX driver has complained about this, c'mon.

5- Ugly wheels.

new GX is mini LX... old GX was very old design, new one has a lot more features and safety built in.
Old 11-23-09, 08:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1

5- Ugly wheels.

Agree 100%.
Old 11-23-09, 08:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

btw, chill down, cargo capacity is probably counted up to the windows now, vs up to the roof before.

space behind 2nd row seats is very generous, and more usable than before because you dont have seats on the side anymore. 3rd row seats are also so thin that loading baying is perfectly flat (there is no drop in). There is really nothing to complain there.
Old 11-23-09, 08:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
double cargo room, what?
From Edmunds:

In the GX 470, the third-row seats could be taken out, leaving up to 49.7 cubic feet of space. Fold the GX 460's third-row seats and it only opens up 17 cubic feet of space. Space behind the third row is down from 13.2 cubic feet to 4.2 cubic feet.
From TCC:

While the third row in the old GX could be removed, it can't be taken out in the new one, and even worse, the arrangement gobbles up six inches or so of cargo floor all the time—and creates a situation where the cargo floor begins -above- the bottom of the tailgate. It's just an odd packaging decision and makes the GX feel more like a vehicle that was retrofitted with the power third-row arrangement on a budget, from an existing vehicle, than an all-new one. And it yields a very high cargo floor, with less usable space than you'd think.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-23-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 08:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

From Edmunds:

From TCC:
thats just someone reading the specs wrong ;-).

it was probably counted up to the roof before and now it is up to the windows.

I have driven LC120 and LC150 next to each others, and have driven LC120 for 2 years previously (on and off). Anyone experiencing GX460 will notice how big step up is compared to GX470.

In fact, we were just talking yesterday how LC120>LC150 is probably last huge change of generations, because todays cars got so luxurious that there is not much chance that you will be able to cram THAT much more equipment for next gen. You can have different styling, powertrains, etc, but it will not be such big change as this one ;-).
Old 11-23-09, 09:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A bit off topic... SPWolf & MPLEX I see the vendor tags.. What are you guys selling?

On to the GX, the rear door should be of the same design as the RX. My Rav 4 has the same barn door design and it now makes a popping sound every time I open it. I guess this is due to the weight of the door putting stress on the hinge bolts. In the $50k & up range, this vehicle desrves a better rear door design. I won't get into the fit & finish cargo area

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show