Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

oh man, can't believe that 'step up' into the cargo area - i guess where the 3rd row seat is stowed. that just makes it worse for mundane stuff like loading groceries in, especially if the person is short.
if a person is short, the gx shouldn't be on the shopping list anyway (this or previous generation)?
Old 11-23-09, 10:29 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if a person is short, the gx shouldn't be on the shopping list anyway (this or previous generation)?
tell that to the little ladies especially with the suburban, expeditions, and navigators, behemoths out there while they slap on their make up and juggling a cell phone

Naw, the GX is actually perfect for short people. On the last GX, I made sure the wife can see over the steering wheel-I don't want to see her knuckles only

<seems> like this GX is about the same dimensions as the last one.
With the trunk space that deep, it's probably best to have that third row up and/or with the cargo net
Old 11-24-09, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
tell that to the little ladies especially with the suburban, expeditions, and navigators, behemoths out there while they slap on their make up and juggling a cell phone

Naw, the GX is actually perfect for short people. On the last GX, I made sure the wife can see over the steering wheel-I don't want to see her knuckles only

<seems> like this GX is about the same dimensions as the last one.
With the trunk space that deep, it's probably best to have that third row up and/or with the cargo net
lol my wife can't see over the dash on almost every car we have owned so far

we were just working on an lx570 the other day and she commented how "tall" the car is, and it's not a good choice. rx on the other hand is the right height
Old 11-24-09, 12:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

just wondering, is the GX460 based on the same platform as the new 4Runner?
It is on a related platform, but they do have their differences mechanically and of course aesthetically.
Old 11-24-09, 12:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default PR: Lexus Announces Pricing for All-New 2010 GX 460

• On Display for the First Time in North America at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show
  • New 4.6-Liter Engine and 301-hp V8 with Six Speed Transmission
  • New Standard Power Fold-Flat Third Row and 10 Airbags

TORRANCE, Calif. (Nov. 23, 2009) – Lexus today announced the manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) for the all-new, second generation 2010 GX 460 luxury utility vehicle which will arrive at dealerships beginning in late December. For the first time, the GX will be offered in two grades, base, which will carry an MSRP of $51,970, and Premium which will be priced at $56,765. The MSRP does not include a delivery, processing and handling fee of $875. The all-new GX 460 will be on display for the first time in North America at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show in December.

The second generation GX 460 that is more powerful, more efficient and more luxurious will be powered with an all-new 4.6-liter V8 engine. The engine will produce 301 horsepower and 329 lb-ft of peak torque. It is teamed with an efficient six-speed automatic transmission with sequential shift that helps
provide the best-in-class V8 fuel economy. Combined city/highway fuel economy is improved by 13 percent to an EPA-estimated 17 mpg. The GX 460 has an EPA-estimated 15 mpg city and 20 mpg.

In addition to the powerful engine, the GX 460 brings more versatile interior. The second row
seat slides 4.1 inches fore/aft to maximize passenger and cargo carrying ability. The foldable and reclining second row seats feature a 60/40 walk-in function to access the standard power fold-flat third row seats.
A new center console design offers the driver more storage and functionality.

Luxury is enhanced in the GX 460 with a quieter cabin, as well as new additional standard features and options. Heated and ventilated front seats, class leading 10 airbags, rear back-up camera (without Navigation), Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) and full-time four-wheel drive are all
standard on the GX 460. Safety features available include the Pre-Collision System, wide-view front and
side cameras, Lane Departure Alert and Intelligent High Beam. Among the new luxury options are semi-
aniline leather, a heated steering wheel and heated outer second-row seats.

The exterior of the GX 460 demonstrates new convenience and styling features such as the rear
glass hatch for easier access to the cargo area, integrated rear door handle and rear spoiler with
integrated wiper. The GX color palette is also revised and includes two all-new colors: Knight’s Armor

Lexus Enform™ with Safety Connect™ is an all-new telematics system available by subscription.
Lexus Safety Connect is standard on all GX 460, while Lexus Enform is only available with navigation-
equipped vehicles. Complimentary one-year trial subscriptions of Lexus Enform with Safety Connect are
included. The Lexus Enform and the Safety Connect response center operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week – every day of the year.

Lexus Insider™, a complimentary, opt-in service available without a subscription, is also standard
on Lexus Enform equipped GX 460 vehicles. The service offers in-vehicle audio casts with useful vehicle
tips and event information, as well as insights into exclusive owners' benefits. As part of the Lexus Enform
® TM navigation platform, XM NavTraffic and XM NavWeather are available via individual XM subscriptions. All XM services include a complimentary 90-day trial subscription.

Credit: Lexus USA
Old 11-24-09, 01:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

true, but to me this smacks of cost reasons because the platform is shared and they know GX sales are likely to be low. i mean given the two newest models having (RX, HS) i would have thought it's a new trend.

also, the mouse makes more sense in a LARGE cabin like the GX.

oh well, too late now.

on a positive note, reading about the AVS/KDSS combo, it sounds AWESOME. and the GX current, and no doubt new too, has impeccable road manners. i'd really want one if it was more of a looker.
actually nav is very close to you in GX, unlike in sedan, in trucks you sit in upright position and close to the dash. It is easier to operate nav in GX than in my GS. Touchscreen is also easier to use during rough terrain drive (afterall it is not only nav).

Old GX and new GX drive very differently too ;-). I guess people not familiar with Land Cruisers need to drive it to understand what it is ;-).
Old 11-24-09, 06:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
rear doors are way too big to be liftgate, power or not. Barn doors are japanese suv classic... bigger ones have split doors like LC200, which is probably even worse. GX now has rear window that can be opened for quick entry (didnt have it before).
Come on, there are plenty of full size SUVs with power lift gates out there. Split gates are better than barn doors, you would know what I mean if you own a SUV with a barn door for any length of time. The biggest problem with the barn door is that if you are trying to move a object that is about the same width as the hatch opening into the cargo area. You cannot get a guy to squeeze in between the door and the object to lift on that side. Also, you need to leave more space behind you when you park if you want to use the rear cargo area at all.
Old 11-24-09, 06:18 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have the model code?
Old 11-24-09, 06:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Come on, there are plenty of full size SUVs with power lift gates out there. Split gates are better than barn doors, you would know what I mean if you own a SUV with a barn door for any length of time. The biggest problem with the barn door is that if you are trying to move a object that is about the same width as the hatch opening into the cargo area. You cannot get a guy to squeeze in between the door and the object to lift on that side. Also, you need to leave more space behind you when you park if you want to use the rear cargo area at all.
in normal usage (not using 100% of the width of the vehicle), opening split rear door is 2 point afaire, while in barn door you have single opening with rear window option. It is actually much easier. Well in this case, using GX's rear doors is easier for me than LX's.

as i said, i live in europe where parking is tight and never had issue with "barn doors". Many people on internet comment on it, not so many of actual owners.

It is traditional japanese setup.
Old 11-24-09, 06:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pricing is pretty competitive for what you're getting. The premium model seems like a no brainer with only a 5K difference.
Old 11-24-09, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Pricing is pretty competitive for what you're getting. The premium model seems like a no brainer with only a 5K difference.
I agree pricing is very aggressive.

Old 11-24-09, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

the pricing is definitely on the attractive side imho. especially with the lx at over 80k, this car becomes a lot more attractive
Old 11-24-09, 12:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
the pricing is definitely on the attractive side imho. especially with the lx at over 80k, this car becomes a lot more attractive
imho much better value for the money than LX... As I said before, more space in 2nd row for GX, it is just that LX has huge trunk.
Old 11-24-09, 12:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by JessePS
Anyone have the model code?
Chassis Code: URJ150L
Engine Code: 1UR-FE
Old 11-24-09, 12:55 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts