Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 07:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Some eyelids will take care of that
I had to take out the thick chrome part of the grille AND reduce the headlights...otherwise eyelids would take care of it.

I wish it was as simple as that
Old 11-25-09, 08:10 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
I still can't get over how stupid those headlights look.

The rest is okay for a truck-based SUV I guess. Glad they're starting to adopt the split center armrests, dual RSES, and...*gasp* HID headlights!Wonder why none of the GX's competitors needs such an odd shape to meet the height requirement for HIDs.
According to the Lexus reps at the press event, there is a standard height requirement for HID in Japan. The only SUV in the Lexus line up that had HID as an option was the RX. I'm guessing once the LX goes into it's mid cycle refresh, the headlamp design may change to accommodate HID.

I will have to guess due to cost factors, they did not want to make a secondary headlight for export markets outside of Japan with HID. The reason for the lower projector design in the housing is to accommodate the HID height requirement in Japan, which is why we have HID now on the new GX.

If any of you have compared a non-HID RX350 with an RX350 with HID, the projector headlamp position is swapped with the DRL/high beam. HID RX350's tend to look cross-eyed looking as the projector beam is lower in the headlamp and closer to the grille whereas the non-HID RX's are in a conventional position with the high beams closest to the center grille.

I agree, the LX being it the flagship SUV should have HID's standard.

Old 11-25-09, 09:59 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

I will have to guess due to cost factors, they did not want to make a secondary headlight for export markets outside of Japan with HID. The reason for the lower projector design in the housing is to accommodate the HID height requirement in Japan, which is why we have HID now on the new GX.
While I'm happy that the GX FINALLY have HIDs, why couldn't they lower the WHOLE headlight housing instead of the ugly crab-eye sagging into the bumper look to meet the lower height requirement???
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show-gxheadlight.jpg  
Old 11-25-09, 10:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
While I'm happy that the GX FINALLY have HIDs, why couldn't they lower the WHOLE headlight housing instead of the ugly crab-eye sagging into the bumper look to meet the lower height requirement???
I agree, Lexus ahould have lower tha whole light housing, and all that dead space on top of the projector looks awful too.
Old 11-25-09, 10:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
that's exactly what i thought too when i saw the pictures, why not lower the headlights a bit or expand the lower line so it's all horizontal. now it seems to "exaggerate" the point that "our headlights are lower"
Old 11-25-09, 10:17 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If any of you have compared a non-HID RX350 with an RX350 with HID, the projector headlamp position is swapped with the DRL/high beam. HID RX350's tend to look cross-eyed looking as the projector beam is lower in the headlamp and closer to the grille whereas the non-HID RX's are in a conventional position with the high beams closest to the center grille.

Actually, I think HID or not HID, the projectors are on the outside away from the grill, unless you get the automatic highbeams along with your HIDs, in which case they are moved to the center towards the grill
Old 11-25-09, 10:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i actually don't understand why they have to put the hid projects close to the grille on the rx350. it looks kind of weird and doesn't seem necessary. bmw bi-xenon are always on the outside
Old 11-25-09, 10:39 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I always thought that it was design related, to distinguish which cars have the auto highbeams. But it might have to do with the highbeams making a better impact when they are higher
Old 11-25-09, 11:51 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According to the Lexus reps at the press event, there is a standard height requirement for HID in Japan. The only SUV in the Lexus line up that had HID as an option was the RX. I'm guessing once the LX goes into it's mid cycle refresh, the headlamp design may change to accommodate HID.
Ah, so it was JDM requirements which necessitated the design height. It's interesting how different countries can experience product that is ultimately restricted/governed by regulations in the country of origin...

...sorta unrelated, but it made me think of how of all airlines in the world, only Japan Airlines and ANA are not allowed to serve alcoholic beverages to first and business class passengers when they board, no matter what country the plane is flying to/from...it has to do with Japanese laws.

Anyhow, with the GX, I find that the stylized photos on Lexus.com look better (in this case) than the other pressroom photos. I think that many will be hard-pressed to see much difference vs. the prior gen, particularly in the side profile.
Old 11-25-09, 11:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say the new GX solved my remaining dilema .... thank you Lexus
Old 11-25-09, 12:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ You are always in some kind of dilemma Ross lol
Old 11-25-09, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by encore888
Ah, so it was JDM requirements which necessitated the design height. It's interesting how different countries can experience product that is ultimately restricted/governed by regulations in the country of origin...

...sorta unrelated, but it made me think of how of all airlines in the world, only Japan Airlines and ANA are not allowed to serve alcoholic beverages to first and business class passengers when they board, no matter what country the plane is flying to/from...it has to do with Japanese laws.

Anyhow, with the GX, I find that the stylized photos on Lexus.com look better (in this case) than the other pressroom photos. I think that many will be hard-pressed to see much difference vs. the prior gen, particularly in the side profile.
while i do believe the lack of hid on lx and previous gx due to height, but how about imports? i imagine they would have x5, cayenne, etc... in japan, do they all come without hid then?

just curious
Old 11-25-09, 12:27 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^ You are always in some kind of dilemma Ross lol
You're right.. LOL... actually your props on the GX from a while back truly helped... big and thx!!!

Stay tuned... "Dawg Drama" continues...
Old 11-25-09, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
You're right.. LOL... actually your props on the GX from a while back truly helped... big and thx!!!

Stay tuned... "Dawg Drama" continues...
haha we have been tuned for over a yr already? my m3 lease might run out before anything happens
Old 11-25-09, 12:34 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
haha we have been tuned for over a yr already? my m3 lease might run out before anything happens
Thought I'd brighten everyone's Thanksgiving a day early with my monthly "psychosis"... ... but maybe, just maybe, something will happen before you lease ends Henry...

...no more posts on this, again on advice of Doctor's orders!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show