Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

seems flips like it, it is quite different when you see it in person eh? i am not that crazy :P
Old 11-25-09, 03:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Actually, I think HID or not HID, the projectors are on the outside away from the grill, unless you get the automatic highbeams along with your HIDs, in which case they are moved to the center towards the grill
Nope that's not true. I will have to take a pic of a 2010 RX side by side with a non HID RX. Height of the beam is key.
Old 11-25-09, 04:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
seems flips like it, it is quite different when you see it in person eh? i am not that crazy :P
I like it a lot more than the previous that's for sure. The new GX in photos looks a little awkward. That was my first impression when I saw the photos of the new GX earlier this year before the launch. In person, the design and lines work well. It gives the new GX a broader muscular look. It is evident in the hood lines when you're sitting in the driver's seat.
Old 11-25-09, 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I like it a lot more than the previous that's for sure. The new GX in photos looks a little awkward. That was my first impression when I saw the photos of the new GX earlier this year before the launch. In person, the design and lines work well. It gives the new GX a broader muscular look. It is evident in the hood lines when you're sitting in the driver's seat.
and interior and ride?
Old 11-25-09, 05:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
and interior and ride?
Interior has got to be one of the best Lexus interiors out there. The placement of all the controls are easily accessible. The dash design has to be one of my favorite parts of the GX. The wood, leather and metallic accents work very well with each other. The nav sits in a good spot for visibility. The ride is great compared to the GX470. The ride is very smooth on the highway and local city driving. It almost does not feel like a truck when you're maneuvering around town. This would make a great long distance cruiser. There is a bit of dive when you slam on the brakes however. I will have to attribute the dive to being in comfort mode of the AVS.

Wheel position indicator in the center info display is another cool feature of the GX. It definitely helps you in tight off roading situations with wheel position. Instead of sticking your head out in the elements to figure out which way the wheels are turned, the display shows you which way the wheels are turned.

Old 11-25-09, 11:58 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Nope that's not true. I will have to take a pic of a 2010 RX side by side with a non HID RX. Height of the beam is key.
My understanding:

Non HID RX: On the outside, away from the grill
HID RX: On the outside, away from the grill
HID with Inteligent Highbeams: On the inside, next to the grill
Old 11-26-09, 12:05 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i love everything about this GX except the bumper reflectors and the headlights.
Old 11-26-09, 12:21 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's an interesting detail that helps explain the interior functionality more...some controls or storage spaces (?) are hidden behind this swivel panel (a number of us assumed based on the leaked photos that it was just a trim piece). The primary audio controls are still accessed via the touchscreen above (press the audio button)...so I'm left wondering what else would be down there...

Old 11-26-09, 12:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Interior has got to be one of the best Lexus interiors out there. The placement of all the controls are easily accessible. The dash design has to be one of my favorite parts of the GX. The wood, leather and metallic accents work very well with each other. The nav sits in a good spot for visibility. The ride is great compared to the GX470. The ride is very smooth on the highway and local city driving. It almost does not feel like a truck when you're maneuvering around town. This would make a great long distance cruiser. There is a bit of dive when you slam on the brakes however. I will have to attribute the dive to being in comfort mode of the AVS.

Wheel position indicator in the center info display is another cool feature of the GX. It definitely helps you in tight off roading situations with wheel position. Instead of sticking your head out in the elements to figure out which way the wheels are turned, the display shows you which way the wheels are turned.

my impressions exactly ;-).

definetly good choice of car for the money.
Old 11-26-09, 06:00 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mara Ju Juana

Originally Posted by encore888
Here's an interesting detail that helps explain the interior functionality more...some controls or storage spaces (?) are hidden behind this swivel panel (a number of us assumed based on the leaked photos that it was just a trim piece). The primary audio controls are still accessed via the touchscreen above (press the audio button)...so I'm left wondering what else would be down there...

That's where you store the weed, or your .24.
Old 11-26-09, 08:01 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
That's where you store the weed, or your .24.
Not like my buddy's Highlander.
Old 11-26-09, 10:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by encore888

The cover on the center console slides up and down to hide the radio controls:

Opened:

Closed:

Here is the compartment just below the radio. It houses a DC port, Aux in/USB inputs and a small compartment for storage:

I think they could have done a little bit more with the wood cover like a chrome border or something to accent it more:

There are a lot of little details in the GX that definitely set it apart from the competition.
Old 11-26-09, 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by RXSF
My understanding:

Non HID RX: On the outside, away from the grill
HID RX: On the outside, away from the grill
HID with Inteligent Highbeams: On the inside, next to the grill
That wouldn't make any sense to make a seperate headlamp housing for HID models with and without Intelligent HB feature. That would cost too much money to do. Height requirement is key. HID has to be at a certain height on Lexus SUV's due to Japan's restrictions.
Old 11-26-09, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

interesting why they make a cover just for the radio controls. on the sc430 i can understand coz' it's convertible, can get dusty, but why on the gx? i can see it being a bit cleaner of course, just think it's weird, they don't have it on other lexus
Old 11-26-09, 10:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting why they make a cover just for the radio controls. on the sc430 i can understand coz' it's convertible, can get dusty, but why on the gx? i can see it being a bit cleaner of course, just think it's weird, they don't have it on other lexus
Yeah that's something new for the GX. It helps clean up the center console. It looks a lot better than the garage door they had for the Lincoln Navigator in the past:

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show