Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 08:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW, Benz, Lexus, Audi own 85% of the luxury market there.....good move by Lexus...I hope a GX hybrid comes next year.
It would seem like since the engineering has already been done it wouldnt be too difficult to put the RX's setup in the GX, ES, etc. And yet the Camry hybrid is on its 3rd year and there's no ES hybrid. Clearly the platform can support it. What gives?
Old 11-15-09, 09:20 PM
xioix
Racer

What is the 12th model being launched there? The HS?
Old 11-15-09, 10:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I hope they did a better job on this model because the last one didnt seem that appealing relative to the other high end SUV options from the Europeans
Old 11-16-09, 01:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i had a chance to sit in new LC150 Prado, brother to the new GX. It is a lot nicer car compared to old gen, and a bit pricier too. It makes LC120 look like 90's vehicle.

Both Interior and Exterior look nicer and more cohesive than LC200, at least to my eyes. Interior is impressive, to me it looks better than a lot pricier LC200. European Prado gets a lot of new features such as electric folding 3rd row seats, 4 cameras that are used as parking cameras while parking, and "terrain monitoring" cameras while you are driving, latest gen NAV and... Xenons, which are on all but base models :-). So there you go, Toyota's real-suv's are finally getting xenons!
Old 11-16-09, 01:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It would seem like since the engineering has already been done it wouldnt be too difficult to put the RX's setup in the GX, ES, etc. And yet the Camry hybrid is on its 3rd year and there's no ES hybrid. Clearly the platform can support it. What gives?
i fail to see what GX and RX have in common ;-).
Old 11-16-09, 06:09 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW, Benz, Lexus, Audi own 85% of the luxury market there.....good move by Lexus...I hope a GX hybrid comes next year.
A GX hybrid wouldn't be ideal. Why? Because body on frame SUVs are both heavy (not good for fuel economy) and tall (not good for aerodynamics). Also packaging-wise where would the batteries go? I'd rather see an LWB RX450h with an option 3rd row. That would be much lighter, and much more efficient than a GX hybrid. Another option for a hybrid SUV/CUV is the rumored GS based JX crossover.

Last edited by (Cj); 11-16-09 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-16-09, 09:55 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

LWB RX450h would not be possible with that sloping roof. It would just turn into a minivan. lexus should just stick with the 5 seater in the RX for now, and maybe a hybrid minivan for toyota
Old 11-16-09, 10:51 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

A GX450d (using their 4.5 TT V8 diesel) would make so much more sense than a hybrid application on this platform.
Old 11-16-09, 12:13 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
LWB RX450h would not be possible with that sloping roof.
The slope isn't that extreme.

It's about the same as the 3 row crossover competition. Aside from that if the RX were 6 or more inches longer a little slope wouldn't affect the 3rd row too much. Also the LF-X concept has a similar slope and 3 rows of seats.
Old 11-16-09, 12:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC, the 1GX has been surprisingly successful in sales, relative to initial small expectations from corporate...with the middle market I thought this model would be a possible candidate for a repurposing for its next gen, in contrast with Lexus traditional practice ('the next gen builds on, and does not reject, the prior gen'). Given the GX designation, the rumored GS-based 3-row, 7-seat crossover could have been the 2GX. However, the fact remains that the success of the 1GX probably led corporate to consider continuing with its LC Prado connections. Even the side-swinging door (although now they're adding that window opening). I still am a bit surprised that there is a market for the LX and GX together, but it has worked out well so far, and the 3LX has its niche. Perhaps this midsize GX will be less of a looker though.
Old 11-16-09, 12:25 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I think they did that so they could use HID. Lexus never put HIDs on their larger SUVs because they didn't want to blind other drivers. If lowering the projector is what it took than I'm all for it.
Hmmmm, you might be onto something here, those lights in this picture do look like HIDs.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show-2010-lexus-gx-460-suv-spy-shots_100228502_m.jpg  
Old 11-16-09, 12:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Also packaging-wise where would the batteries go?
If GM can do it, I am sure that Toyota can as well.

Better question, is there still a market for the GX at all?
Old 11-16-09, 12:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Market is small for this vehicle, makes me wonder if it's worth the bother.
Old 11-16-09, 12:29 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
IIRC, the 1GX has been surprisingly successful in sales, relative to initial small expectations from corporate...with the middle market I thought this model would be a possible candidate for a repurposing for its next gen, in contrast with Lexus traditional practice ('the next gen builds on, and does not reject, the prior gen'). Given the GX designation, the rumored GS-based 3-row, 7-seat crossover could have been the 2GX. However, the fact remains that the success of the 1GX probably led corporate to consider continuing with its LC Prado connections. Even the side-swinging door (although now they're adding that window opening). I still am a bit surprised that there is a market for the LX and GX together, but it has worked out well so far, and the 3LX has its niche. Perhaps this midsize GX will be less of a looker though.
It's probably cheaper for coporate to just rebadge the Prado instead of switching the GX's platform. There are still rumors that a GS based crossover could be in the works, but if I were Toyota/Lexus I would just make an RX350/450L to maximize on the RX "brand". Imagine how many sales the RX would add by having a LWB 3 row seat version. It would also add to the RX's appeal for larger families.
Old 11-16-09, 12:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Market is small for this vehicle, makes me wonder if it's worth the bother.
That's what I was thinking. Look at the LX. It had a brief influx of sales and now its back to selling in low volume. Perhaps Lexus would be better off to expend its resources just on one.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show