Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 12:34 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
If GM can do it, I am sure that Toyota can as well.
All of GM's hybrid BOF SUVs are mild hybrids I believe and if you look at their EPA mileage it still sucks.
Better question, is there still a market for the GX at all?
I don't really think so. Most GX's I see are driven by soccer moms and soccer dads that don't even need a BOF SUV. A midsized crossover (ala GL, X5, Q7) is what Lexus needs.
Old 11-16-09, 12:39 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
All of GM's hybrid BOF SUVs are mild hybrids I believe and if you look at their EPA mileage it still sucks.
The Tahoe and Silverado hybrids are full hybrids. Their mileage sucks because GM paired them with one of the biggest V8s in their arsenal rather than an efficient V6 which would have sufficed. For reference, the much smaller Vue full hybrid when paired with the 3.6L engine was supposedly expecting a rating of 28/31 if I remember correctly. GM chose power over efficiency, thus they are not selling well. I am seeing more of them. I'd be interested to see some real world #s.
Old 11-16-09, 02:32 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The testing car is ugly IMO.

I know they are using random taillights on the rear, but I don't know about the front end either
Old 11-16-09, 02:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's probably cheaper for coporate to just rebadge the Prado instead of switching the GX's platform. There are still rumors that a GS based crossover could be in the works, but if I were Toyota/Lexus I would just make an RX350/450L to maximize on the RX "brand". Imagine how many sales the RX would add by having a LWB 3 row seat version. It would also add to the RX's appeal for larger families.
Yes indeed, there were lots of rumors of an RX 350 L model...that could cannibalize the GX market though, but I think more RX variants are worth looking at...
Old 11-16-09, 04:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Toyota/Lexus need LESS SUVs/Crossovers, not more.

As is, the Lexus SUV lineup is pretty good, I think on the Toyota end, the LC needs to take a leave of absence from the american market, and let the LX pick up where it left off. The FJ is cool, but really, it's almost the same size as the new 4Runner... maybe a 4Runner 2 door could take it's place?
Old 11-16-09, 05:07 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Toyota/Lexus need LESS SUVs/Crossovers, not more.

As is, the Lexus SUV lineup is pretty good, I think on the Toyota end, the LC needs to take a leave of absence from the american market, and let the LX pick up where it left off. The FJ is cool, but really, it's almost the same size as the new 4Runner... maybe a 4Runner 2 door could take it's place?
Toyota definitely needs less SUV/CUVs in their lineup. But Lexus could use a fuel efficient large crossover slotted above the RX. I honestly doubt the new GX's 3rd row will be anything significant due to the fact that it's a BOF. A crossover to compete more directly with the GL/Q7/X5 would be good for the lineup. Remember that 40% of Lexus's US sales are the RX so adding another CUV wouldn't be a bad thing. A CUV isn't a "necessity" for Lexus. A necessity would be a coupe or two.

As for Toyota I agree with what you said. The 4runner could even go and not be missed by many.
Old 11-16-09, 05:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think that the FJ has filled its niche and can go. The 4 Runner should be able to do whatever it could.
Old 11-16-09, 06:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front end is absolutely hideous. Say what you will about the current GX, but it's at least not downright ugly.
Old 11-16-09, 07:52 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think that the FJ has filled its niche and can go. The 4 Runner should be able to do whatever it could.
Agreed.

Toyota definitely needs less SUV/CUVs in their lineup. But Lexus could use a fuel efficient large crossover slotted above the RX. I honestly doubt the new GX's 3rd row will be anything significant due to the fact that it's a BOF. A crossover to compete more directly with the GL/Q7/X5 would be good for the lineup. Remember that 40% of Lexus's US sales are the RX so adding another CUV wouldn't be a bad thing. A CUV isn't a "necessity" for Lexus. A necessity would be a coupe or two.

As for Toyota I agree with what you said. The 4runner could even go and not be missed by many.
"Fuel efficient" and "larger than RX" is somewhat of an oxymoron. All the GX needs is a diesel and better onroad manners to better compete with the X5 et al.... they aren't much bigger, if at all, what would be the point?

Also, On the contrary, the 4Runner would be missed.
Old 11-17-09, 04:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Agreed.

"Fuel efficient" and "larger than RX" is somewhat of an oxymoron. All the GX needs is a diesel and better onroad manners to better compete with the X5 et al.... they aren't much bigger, if at all, what would be the point?

new GX will lave LX-like driving manners, if you like that...

But the thing is - all these SUV's will still be produced because they are sold in other markets in the world. So it does not make any sense for Toyota not letting you order it in USA when cars are already available everywhere else.
Old 11-17-09, 04:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

A GX450d (using their 4.5 TT V8 diesel) would make so much more sense than a hybrid application on this platform.
V8 diesel is punchy but noisy and expensive... and still not as fast as old V8 yet alone that new one in LX.

I have no idea why would anyone in the usa chose diesel V8 vs petrol V8. It uses more gas, but it is much faster, smoother. Here where we have choice between petrol or diesel V8 Land Cruiser 200, diesel engine option is also a lot more expensive, negating any mpg gains. Now reason people buy diesel here regardless is that you would never be able to sell used petrol V8.. ever.
Old 11-17-09, 05:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The front end is absolutely hideous. Say what you will about the current GX, but it's at least not downright ugly.
The rear end of the current GX is ugly.
Old 11-17-09, 05:23 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The GX will never have the onroad manners of the X5 because the GX is a BOF SUV and the X5 is a crossover. That's why I'm saying Lexus should make a larger than RX crossover (which would be more efficient than the BOF GX).

The 4Runner's market is shrinking, so I don't think it would be missed, especially now that the Highlander is the same size with a little more interior room (due to the fact that it's a crossover and not a SUV).
Old 11-17-09, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX will never have the onroad manners of the X5 because the GX is a BOF SUV and the X5 is a crossover. That's why I'm saying Lexus should make a larger than RX crossover (which would be more efficient than the BOF GX).
Never mine the GX, even the RX doesnt have the same road manner as a X5 and the RX is a crossover. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.
Old 11-17-09, 05:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The 4Runner's market is shrinking, so I don't think it would be missed, especially now that the Highlander is the same size with a little more interior room (due to the fact that it's a crossover and not a SUV).
I agree.The '10 4Runner has more of a truck look which will be a turnoff for many households.
The Highlander will get the 4Runner sales.I can see the 4Runner gone in the near future.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show