Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 07:36 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
gx is not build to bring new buyers in, but to keep old ones...
My dad replaced his GX470 today with a BMW X5 after waiting to see how the new GX would look like. How do you keep old buyers in with ugly product?
Old 11-21-09, 07:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Overall my expectations were tempered by the LX 570, which seems apart from the L-finesse design language. The GX I've expected to be an evolution off the prior model. The front end was expected to be controversial, especially given the leaked HID protruding headlight. However, I find that it's the grille that turns out to be curious, and the overall front shape.

Looking at the GX 460 front end:

It seems closer IMO to the Land Cruiser front (down to the bumper vents, and 'ovoid' grille bars), which to be frank I find rather unseemly:

By contrast, the LX 570 front looks more rakish and LS-like:

However the side profile I can more fully appreciate:

At this point I do think that the GX 470 front end seems more elegant, while the GX 460 front seems more brutish. That being said, I don't think this model has much repurcussions for Lexus design in general--the IS-C was a derivative; the LX and GX are modified versions of platform stablemates.
Old 11-21-09, 08:04 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That front end is like right out of a Power Rangers show or something... go go Power Rangers !!! What the heck. Man, I think I just got teleported to the Acura camp and just might go MDX, even with that big grille.
Old 11-21-09, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Same reply I'm going to say in 2003 with the 1GX.

Meh.....vehicle didn't do anything for me then, or now. That said, there is a market for it as the GX sold well until recently.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would be afraid to show it to mine as she might pass out. The HS250 h & now this? I am not liking the styling direction of Lexus. Design some vehicles that will bring real buyers back.
Cough cough...every BMW made since Bangle.....

What is a "real buyer"?
Originally Posted by knihc2008
My dad replaced his GX470 today with a BMW X5 after waiting to see how the new GX would look like. How do you keep old buyers in with ugly product?
So he waited for pics, not in person?

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I don't know what to think though I know the M-Class is looking good.
M-class to me, is one of the best looking SUVs out there...one of its main strengths.

Old 11-21-09, 09:07 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If they used the prado headlights, this would be a much better looking suv.. the prado front end looks amazing! The GX tailgate and taillights do look better than the prado though...

Old 11-21-09, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
If they used the prado headlights, this would be a much better looking suv.. the prado front end looks amazing! The GX tailgate and taillights do look better than the prado though...
i agree that front end looks good!
Old 11-21-09, 10:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

prado grill is ugly though
Old 11-21-09, 11:28 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Either way, you can tell that there is something wrong with the front end of this vehicle. As to which aspect is to blame though, well.......it's probably a mixed bag.

I guess it's consensus that the front headlamp design looks messed-up. Probably the front grille is a bit cheap looking although when compared to the from grille of the LC 150 well...............I can't tell which is better I'm afraid....

Thankfully side and rear profile seems to be alright.

Nevertheless, this vehicle is not gonna make people go: "Waaah, this car TEH Awesome OMGWTFBBQ".

haha with that said, if you are looking for an SUV in this class that has breathtaking design, go get yourself an X5 or M-class or a Q5 or Q7 instead.

Old 11-22-09, 06:40 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car needs an LX conversion on the front.
Old 11-22-09, 06:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
thats a lot like saying that your dad replaced BMW M5 with MB E Wagon after seeing new 5 series pics... it makes no sense. X5 and GX have very little in common.

What they do have is luxury part, and in that aspect GX460 is at least 2 generations ahead of GX470.

Last edited by spwolf; 11-22-09 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-22-09, 07:53 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats a lot like saying that your dad replaced BMW M5 with MB E Wagon after seeing new 5 series pics... it makes no sense. X5 and GX have very little in common.

What they do have is luxury part, and in that aspect GX460 is at least 2 generations ahead of GX470.
I'm a little confused by that comment? Wouldn't you consider the GX and X5 to be direct competitors? I've looked at the GX, but haven't driven it. I thought that it was in the same class as an X5, ML/GL, or Q7.

Each vehicle has it's own strengths and weaknesses, of course. Obviously, the reliability and dealer service will be stronger with the Lexus. But what else does it bring to the table for advantages? I'm genuinely curious as the GX is the one SUV that I don't know very well and I am still shopping.
Old 11-22-09, 08:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

GX doesn't have a lot in common with the X5, except they are both luxury SUVs. They are pretty much on the opposite extreme of each other as far as suv characteristic is concerned. The BMW has a lot less cargo space and performs like a sport sedan. The GX is a 7 seater which drives like a mini van. The GX is a true off roader, great in the snow and rides on very soft suspension.
Old 11-22-09, 09:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
GX doesn't have a lot in common with the X5, except they are both luxury SUVs. They are pretty much on the opposite extreme of each other as far as suv characteristic is concerned. The BMW has a lot less cargo space and performs like a sport sedan. The GX is a 7 seater which drives like a mini van. The GX is a true off roader, great in the snow and rides on very soft suspension.
yep ;-). Not like an minivan, like luxury 4x4 SUV.

No more mushy mushy for GX though ;-).
Old 11-22-09, 09:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'm a little confused by that comment? Wouldn't you consider the GX and X5 to be direct competitors? I've looked at the GX, but haven't driven it. I thought that it was in the same class as an X5, ML/GL, or Q7.

Each vehicle has it's own strengths and weaknesses, of course. Obviously, the reliability and dealer service will be stronger with the Lexus. But what else does it bring to the table for advantages? I'm genuinely curious as the GX is the one SUV that I don't know very well and I am still shopping.
GX460 is ladder on frame SUV vs X5 which is car based SUV. Very different strenghts for each of them (GX better off road, stonger chasis, X5 much better on road). Really depends on how will you drive your vehicle - relaxed and easy going with ability to go quick, or fast as sports sedan. But at the end, they are very different vehicles.

GX460 is a lot better vehicle than old GX470, with a lot of luxury features and spacious cabin. It is also a lot better on road than before, as it is basically smaller LX now (previously it was not).

If you are looking into GX, look at LX and imagine slightly less power, slightly better on road (smaller, better over bumps), and imho better cabin (better used space in smaller body), less trunk space but more comfortable rear bench. Also, expect GX to actually have more equipment than LX! My opinions come from having a lot of drive time in top spec european Prado 120 and 150 (old and new GX), and LC200 (LX).

Ladder on frame based SUV's will always feel different from unibodies, but honestly, i expect that GX will also drive better than your old RX (on road), even though it feels differently, as well as be a lot more luxurious in build quality, material quality and overall feel. A lot faster too.
Old 11-22-09, 09:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

fyi for those not realizing what i mean when i say it is based on LC200/LX - old GX was very soft vehicle, new one is not so soft at all, just like LX.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show