Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 09:37 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks The G Man & spwolf!

Some very valuable insight. It will be interesting to see specs on Monday.
Old 11-22-09, 10:17 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would be afraid to show it to mine as she might pass out. The HS250 h & now this? I am not liking the styling direction of Lexus. Design some vehicles that will bring real buyers back.
I am afraid to show the following to mine too. She might die.

Old 11-22-09, 10:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I actually like it. I think it looks pretty good overall.
Old 11-22-09, 10:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I am afraid to show the following to mine too. She might die.

Where should I ship the flowers?

This GX looks bargain basement I am sorry. Oh nice 5 series.. I got to check that out on the post..
Old 11-22-09, 10:56 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats a lot like saying that your dad replaced BMW M5 with MB E Wagon after seeing new 5 series pics... it makes no sense. X5 and GX have very little in common.

What they do have is luxury part, and in that aspect GX460 is at least 2 generations ahead of GX470.
Not quite. Sure the GX has different architecture and has fantastic off-road prowess and that makes it a polar opposite from the X5's fantastic on road abilities but to the average consumer who is looking for an SUV to drive around town, is never going to offroad, and wants the option of 3 rows of seats, the GX is in fact Lexus' closest competitor to the X5. The architecture of the GX and its off-road prowess matters as little as the X5's amazing handling in quick corners, the average consumer like my dad just wants something that fits a lot of stuff in the trunk, drives well over freeway expansion joints, and looks good.
Old 11-22-09, 11:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The GX is in the same class as the X5 and the others since they are close in size & price. Pictured below is the GX & a few other makes ready to be driven at a BMW driving event that I attended.

Old 11-22-09, 11:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Not quite. Sure the GX has different architecture and has fantastic off-road prowess and that makes it a polar opposite from the X5's fantastic on road abilities but to the average consumer who is looking for an SUV to drive around town, is never going to offroad, and wants the option of 3 rows of seats, the GX is in fact Lexus' closest competitor to the X5. The architecture of the GX and its off-road prowess matters as little as the X5's amazing handling in quick corners, the average consumer like my dad just wants something that fits a lot of stuff in the trunk, drives well over freeway expansion joints, and looks good.
Yeah, while they might be cross shopped based on price, they are 2 very different executed SUVs. One is a SUV with sport, the other is a luxury 4x4. Even Lexus calls it a LUV.

Old 11-22-09, 12:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't look as bad as I was expecting but there are a few things that really need to be done:

1) Something to dress up the side of the truck. Maybe a strip of chrome like some of the other Lexus models.

2) The front end is still pretty ungainly. I don't understand why they chose that grille/headlight design because it doesn't look remotely as elegant or strong as a Lexus should.

3) Rear end is missing something

4) The wheels are ridiculously bland and also look too small - Needs something more attractive than those bottom-of-the-barrel bland six spoke wheeks.. The tires need a thicker sidewall and/or the wheels need to be another inch larger.

Interior looks nice, and the engine/tranny combo sounds promising.

Overall I think I like the 1GX a lot more...far better looking outside.
Old 11-22-09, 01:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like some pictures are showing a chrome strip on the side, but others not. Is this related to the 'color keyed body side molding' only on the Premium GX 460 model? Or is it a reflection? There seems to be a strip on the top photo here, but not the bottom:

Old 11-22-09, 01:53 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The non strip have the radar cruise control, and the stripped doesn't have it. I guess it depends on the options and stuff. it should be the opposite though. lol
Old 11-22-09, 02:04 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

interesting. the one with the chrome strip also has chrome door handles, and the silver one does not. possibly some sort of appearance package, similar to what they have now
Old 11-22-09, 02:25 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

these pic makes it look more like an upscale highlander
Old 11-22-09, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
the average consumer like my dad just wants something that fits a lot of stuff in the trunk, drives well over freeway expansion joints, and looks good.
2 out of the 3? you cant have it all i guess
Old 11-22-09, 02:42 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Diemellz
these pic makes it look more like an upscale highlander
+1

But Lexus will sell tons of these things...

Like what has been said above, this car lacks elegance. The headlight's are okay, but the grille could use work, the lower air dam could use some sprucing up (maybe some chrome strips), the side needs some moulding and chrome for character, and the rear needs some chrome. As for the interior, it's a bit barren from the few pics available, but we'll have a deluge of pics to look at tomorrow once the embargo is lifted.
Old 11-22-09, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

4) The wheels are ridiculously bland and also look too small - Needs something more attractive than those bottom-of-the-barrel bland six spoke wheeks.. The tires need a thicker sidewall and/or the wheels need to be another inch larger.
you do realize that with its standard KDSS system, wheel articulation of GX is so big that every inch of that wheel well might be filled with that tire ;-).

like this:

;-)

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 to debut on November 23, 2009 at Guangzhou Auto Show