Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So You THINK You're Buying Premium Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 06:31 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation So You THINK You're Buying Premium Fuel?

You've always suspected it. You buy a tank of premium and your engine knocks. Why? Isn't this stuff supposed to be regulated? Evidently not, as a few of our local gas stations have been caught cutting their premium fuel with regular and selling the result at premium prices.

It's an almost perfect crime, made possible by ECU's that dial back your spark advance when sensors detect pre-ignition knock. You may not even know you've been ripped off, except that your car's performance is sluggish. You are paying a 20¢ premium for the good stuff, and somebody's "watering it down" with regular unleaded, making themselves a tidy profit in the bargain.

How did investigators detect this crime? Like Al Capone who was done in by his paper trail, it was fuel receipts that eventually exposed the thieves. Surprisingly, it wasn't just being done at the local station, but by the retail company. Here's the story of one local fuel transporter that got caught:

http://www.khou.com/news/Records-sho...-70233502.html

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-17-09 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-17-09, 06:34 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only use Shell premium, hope there're not screwing me !! If so, will switch to Exxon !
Old 11-17-09, 06:43 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

When I had my NSX I caught 2 gas stations selling Regular as Premium. When I told the owner of one that my car ran horribly from the tank of gas I just got. He said I pumped the wrong gas, and it was my fault. So I show him the receipt. Then he starts yelling at me in Farsi or whatever saying he's going to call the cops. I'm like "do it." Then he just kept saying "go-leave!" so I did...after his entire family came out of the back room. The second place I just called the number on the tax sticker, right on the pump. Not sure if they did anything.

I will only get gas at big chain gas stations now. Cant trust the little guys anymore. With the GS its hard for me to tell if there is regular or premium burning. But that NSX was so finicky I could tell with in 20 miles on a fresh tank.
Old 11-17-09, 07:05 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn......I better be careful.......I usually put Shell V-Power in.
Old 11-17-09, 07:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its a bit safer in states that use 93 octane for premium unleaded gas as oppose to 91. They can mix in a few hundred gallons into the super unleaded tank and the octane would still be up there. There should be some kind of regulation and inspection for octane in gas. I know some towns have a dept of weights and measure to make sure a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas, but they do not measure octane.
Old 11-17-09, 07:33 AM
Milla...

I only mess with the big chain guys. I never trusted the mom and pop off named stations.
Old 11-17-09, 08:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

most of these are little crap no-name places I would never go anyway.
Old 11-17-09, 08:44 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree, major chains only.
Old 11-17-09, 08:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well it seems that the delivery wagon that was in cahoots with the station owner was servicing Shell stations. So much for brand protection. I suspect that this is more of a collusion between wholesaler and retailer than it is among brands. There will be plenty more to follow.

Think about the profit to be made. One comment on the referenced story was made by a tanker driver for the offending wholesaler. He claims to have dropped a thousand gallons of regular into the premium tank, cutting it about 20% with the lower grade fuel. That may not seem like much, but it amounts to about 3¢ per gallon savings at wholesale on 5K gallons of gas, or about $150 or so in increased profit, per underground tank, per fill, per station. That can be a tidy little sum when accumulated over a month or so, and it' all free money.
Old 11-17-09, 08:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry - looooooooooooooong post here...but here's the stations in question -- personal note -- I only use Chevron or Texaco gas

1. Best Foods 5, 13102 Bissonett, Houston, TX 77099
According to an October 17, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver topped the regular unleaded tank and dropped approximately 700 gallons into the super unleaded tank, per the authorization of a Gulshan Enterprises employee and a dispatcher at Texas TransEastern (names withheld by KHOU-TV). According to an employee at the store, Gulshan owns the station and the property. KHOU-TV provided the delivery invoice to that employee, who said he would inform a manager. We haven’t heard back.

2. Handi Plus 27, 9103 Jensen Dr., Houston TX 77093
According to an October 4, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver listed 364 gallons of regular unleaded dispensed into the super unleaded storage tank. KHOU-TV provided the delivery invoice to a manager at the station, who said Gulshan Enterprises owns it and handles the gas inventory, but leases the convenience store portion of the property to a third party. Gulshan Enterprises has not responded to our repeated requests for comment.

3. Handi Stop 102, 9009 Clinton Dr., Houston TX 77029
According to an October 13, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver dropped 200 gallons of regular unleaded in the super unleaded tank per the authorization of a man, whom 11 News has been unable to identify. Additionally, in an October 15, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver listed too much regular on the delivery remarks. The driver made a phone call to a man KHOU-TV has not been able to identify, and was told to drop the remaining regular unleaded in the super unleaded tank. A manager at the station told KHOU-TV he did not know anything about either of these incidents. He told us Gulshan Enterprises owns the station and that he would inform Gulshan of our visit and share the delivery invoices we left. We haven’t heard back.

4. Handi Stop 27, 5605 N. Shepherd, Houston TX
According to an October 19, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver listed 459 gallons of regular unleaded dropped into the super unleaded tank per Gulshan Enterprises. The driver wrote it would not fit in the regular unleaded tank. After visiting the station, a man identifying himself as the manager of the food mart called KHOU-TV and said he leases the food mart from Gulshan Enterprises. The manager said Gulshan is responsible for ordering and providing the gas, and maintaining the pumps. Gulshan has not responded to our repeated requests for comment.

5. Handi Stop 37, 11931 Spring Cypress, Tomball TX 77377
According to an October 17, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver put 472 gallons of regular unleaded into the super unleaded tank. The delivery remarks state it did not fit in the regular unleaded tank. KHOU-TV spoke with a co-owner of the station, who said he uses Gulshan Enterprises as a “jobber,” an industry term referring to a middleman who markets gas between refineries and retail stores. The station co-owner said he would review the delivery invoice and contact us later with any additional comments. We have not heard back.

6. Handi Stop 52, 3310 Aldine Mail Route, Houston TX 77039
According to an October 11, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver wrote 535 gallons of regular unleaded would not fit, and was dropped in the plus tank per someone whom KHOU-TV has not been able to identify. We left the document with a manager at the station, who told us he would inform the owner. We have not heard back.

7. Handi Stop 53, 8203 Fondren, Houston TX 77074
According to an October 10, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver loaded 500 gallons of regular unleaded into the super unleaded tank and another 500 gallons of regular unleaded into the plus (mid-grade) unleaded tank per Gulshan Enterprises. Karim Lakhani, spokesperson for Handi Stop 53, e-mailed the following statement, which KHOU-TV did not edit for spelling, punctuation or grammatical errors:

"Respected,
Jeremy Rogalski
&
David Raziq,
Re : Discovery of Facts at 8203 Fondren,
OVERAGE of 1000 gallon in Mid Grade & Super Tank each.

Looking at the delivery invoice an order was placed for
6200 gal No Lead
1000 gal mid Grade
500 gal super
Above order is a record on the invoice as evidence.

At the time of delivery we had only 769gal (15”) of NoLead in the Tank,as it shows on the Invoice
we were delivered 6135gal of NoLead making it total of 6204gal (63”) in the Tank as shown on Invoice,
Our Tank Capacity is 10,000gal each, that leaves 3796gal capacity to be available in NoLead Tank,

Making it a lie on part of the Transport Driver making allegation of having the Tank full,
leaving any Overage, to be dropped in any other Tanks.
He had no permission from us to bring any Extra gas to our Location, as it shows on the Invoice instruction.

As per the Loading Instruction on the Invoice, There was no allocation available for MidGrade or Super,
Still Driver picked up extra 1000gal of NoLead without our knowledge and approval as shown on Invoice.

And the delivery was made after 6:00pm and not AM.

If I could of any further assisstance, Please feel free to contact.

Karim Lakhani"

8. Handi Stop 54, 5726 Fondren, Houston, TX 77036
According to an October 13, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver listed the following delivery remarks: “Too much regular. I was told per dispatch (name withheld by KHOU-TV) to drop the remaining in the super tank. And to get accurate stick readings on both tanks.” Additionally, according to an October 22, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver dropped 104 gallons of no lead into the super tank, due to no lead tank being full per dispatch (name withheld by KHOU-TV). The invoice states the station was closed during this delivery. Gulshan Enterprises owns the store and property according to employee Imram Ali, which he says he and others rent out from Gulshan. Ali also says that Gulshan pays them some money to look after the property and gas pumps, but the agreement is that Gulshan is responsible for the gas and gets the money from it. In turn, Ali and colleagues get to stock the store themselves and keep the money made from those sales. Gulshan has not returned our repeated requests for comment.

9. Handi Stop 55, 9091 S. Gessner, Houston TX 77074
According to an October 8, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver put 106 gallons of regular unleaded into the mid-grade tank. The invoice lists the service station as closed when the delivery occurred. Gulshan Enterprises owns the store and property according to manager Nick Ali, who said to call the company. Gulshan has not returned our repeated requests for comment.

10. Handi Stop 56, 12251 Veterans Memorial, Houston, TX 77067
According to an October 19, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver had 75 gallons of regular unleaded left over, and dropped it in the super unleaded tank per someone whom KHOU-TV has not been able to identify. We later spoke with a man who called himself Mr. Moiz and claimed to be the owner of the station. He agreed to review the delivery invoice and get back with us. We are still waiting to hear from him.

11. Handi Stop 93, 7745 S. Sam Houston Pkwy (at Telephone Rd.), Houston, TX 77085
According to an October 3, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern delivery driver wrote the following delivery remarks: “H.S. #93 ordered too much fuel as usual. Called (name withheld by KHOU-TV), and he told me to drop the rest in the super tank, about 500 gallons.” Additionally, according to an October 15, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver put 416 gallons in super tank, per (name withheld by KHOU-TV) at Gulshan. Another fuel delivery invoice, dated October 16, 2009, listed about 900 gallons of regular unleaded being dropped into the super tank, per someone whom KHOU-TV has not been able to identify. KHOU-TV spoke with a manager at the location, who told us Gulshan Enterprises owns the station. Gulshan has not returned our repeated requests for comment.

12. Lee S. Shell, 1301 South Richey, Pasadena, TX 77502
According to an October 13, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver put 298 gallons of regular unleaded in the super tank, per someone whom KHOU-TV has not been able to identify. The owner of the station, Dongsun Lee, e-mailed this statement, which KHOU-TV did not edit for spelling, punctuation or grammatical errors:

"Dear Mr. Jeremy Rogalski

Our gas delivery procedure are as followings

1. We order gas delivery quantity and delivery date before 24 hours to Dealer(Gushan) considering remain gas, forcasting sales, and tank capacity
2. Gulshan assign the delivery company(Texan trans.)
3. Transpoatation company deliver gas to us.(We never contact transportation company)
4. Driver put gas into tanks.
5. Driver bring delivery report inside
6. We(Any our people) sign the delivery papers.(Night time delivery case : No sign paper)

Therefore, we don’t check outsite gas delivery tank before bring papers.
That day also I did not check and signed paper. Later I knew the situation.

Anyway, I request Gulshan that don’t put regular gas to super gas tank.
Also we will check outside delivery status from now on.

Thanks,
Dongsun Lee"

13. Step N Go, 7205 Bellerive Blvd, Houston TX 77036
According to an October 6, 2008 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver said the no-lead tank overflowed. The driver also wrote “had to drop about 300 gallons in the super tank per dispatch” (name withheld by KHOU-TV). Additionally, an October 18, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver wrote “308 gallons regular did not fit, dumped to super tank.” KHOU-TV spoke with Fred Panjuwani, the owner of the station, who said he was aware of the two incidents and complained about them to Texas TransEastern. Mr. Panjuwani said he would not authorize any future drops of regular unleaded into super unleaded tanks.

14. Toor Shell Food Mart, 9875 N. Houston Rosslyn, Houston TX 77088
According to an October 1, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver put 101 gallons of regular unleaded into the super unleaded tank. Additionally, an October 6, 2009 fuel delivery invoice indicates 760 gallons of regular unleaded were dropped into the super unleaded tank. We left the invoices with a clerk at the station who said he would alert the owner. We have not heard back from anyone at Toor Shell Food Mart.

15. Shell, 6007 North Main St., Crosby, TX 77532
According to an October 1, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver dropped 435 gallons of regular unleaded into the premium tank. KHOU-TV spoke with a clerk who said the signature on the invoice was not that of any employee at the station. She called a manager who declined to comment.

16. US Truck Stop, 213 FM 359, Brookshire, TX 77423
According to an October 2, 2009 fuel delivery invoice, a Texas TransEastern driver dropped 280 gallons of regular unleaded in the super unleaded tank. KHOU-TV spoke with a clerk at the store who said he would forward the invoice to the station owner in New York. We have not heard back from anyone.
Old 11-17-09, 08:54 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys read the article it states that some of them were large chain gas stations as well.
Old 11-17-09, 08:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its a bit safer in states that use 93 octane for premium unleaded gas as oppose to 91. They can mix in a few hundred gallons into the super unleaded tank and the octane would still be up there. There should be some kind of regulation and inspection for octane in gas. I know some towns have a dept of weights and measure to make sure a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas, but they do not measure octane.
Oh I see.

Btw, you guys over there in stateside use "Anti-Knock Index (AKI)" for your octane ratings, right?

Anyways, when I was in Hong Kong a few months ago, I sat in a vehicle which was loaded with Shell V-Power with an octane rating of 107 RON (probably 103 AKI or 100 MON). Damn, super-refined and really smooth.......even if the engine in the E500 I rode didn't require it :P
Old 11-17-09, 09:04 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if it's a federally regulated thing, but I know in MN they have stickers on all the gas pumps verifying the octane is as advertised.

That said, I will never go to a gas station that's not a major chain. There's a "Gas 4 Less" near me that's usually 3-4 cents cheaper per gallon than the Holidays and Shells, but I can't bring myself to fill up the SC there.
Old 11-17-09, 09:11 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

wow, i never knew about this. i just hope shell and chevron aren't doing this.
Old 11-17-09, 09:21 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I filled up at a no-namer before, didn't have any knocking, but my car started acting funny this one time and I was quick to blame them ... only it was my clutch

Pretty scary that this happens, kinda hard to trust which station you fill up at now ... hopefully Shell doesn't screw me over, I only use them because I get pretty good mileage off them, I use Chevron too but the SC just eats that up so I tend to stay away from that.

Quick Reply: So You THINK You're Buying Premium Fuel?