Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying new Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 06:57 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new Mazda3

It's time. I'm buying a new car. I'm currently in a 98 Trans Am with 170,000 miles & damage to the driver's door, which I'm debating whether to trade in or attempt to sell.

I'm planning to get a 2010 Mazda3 S Grand Touring hatchback, Celestial Blue with the 6 speed manual & the sunroof/Bose package. We have friends at the dealership willing to work with the price & currently own an older Mazda3 which qualifies me for cash back, so we're hopefully getting a pretty decent deal. Nothing is final yet, but I hope to buy the day after Thanksgiving.

Before I go through with it, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? I did consider the Golf TDi for a while, but I think I'll be happier in the Mazda. There aren't many other decent hatchbacks in that price range new I'd care for, but I don't want to overlook anything, so I just want to hear what you all have to say.
Old 11-17-09, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
Before I go through with it, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? I did consider the Golf TDi for a while, but I think I'll be happier in the Mazda. There aren't many other decent hatchbacks in that price range new I'd care for, but I don't want to overlook anything, so I just want to hear what you all have to say.
The VW TDIs are excellent powerplants for combining low-RPM torque with good fuel mileage (even more so with the DSG transmission), don't need periodic urea-injection refills like some other diesels, and today's new diesels are indistinguishable from gas engines in the way they start up and run. But, in the long run, the Mazda will likely be quite a bit more reliable than a VW....particularly in the area of electronics and hardware, where VWs are notoriously bad. If you want reliable, hassle-free driving, I think you will be happier in the long run with the Mazda. The Mazda3, particularly the higher-line versions, has a well-done chassis (they don't call it the Poor Man's BMW for nothing).

But that doesn't mean you have to settle on a Mazda3. The Honda Civic Si Hatchback, AWD Subaru Impreza Sportwagons, and Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe twins are all good competitors.

Whatever new car you decide on, remember the proper break-in procedure, and that, in most states, you have 30 days to report it to your insurance company (and remove the old car, if you no longer own it). But, I'd report it as soon as possible after I got it, even though you are automatically covered for the first 30 days.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 08:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The new Mazda3 should be a great car. My friend just got a 2010 Speed3, and it's great. Good build, nice design (subjective), reliable and most importantly fun to drive.
Old 11-17-09, 08:48 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

New Mazda 3 is a great all around car for the price offers lots of features, it offers a better value than a Toyota Matrix which I think is direct competition. It's a very purposeful car the hatch.
Old 11-17-09, 08:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its a great car, but I wish it would stop smiling. J/K. I think its the best car in its class with the civic right behind it
Old 11-18-09, 12:01 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Good car, I second the reliability assertion by mmarshall. Japanese cars are always a safe bet and the Mazda3 is one of the best hot-compacts.

Given your choice of manual tranny, Civic Si also comes to mind.
Old 11-18-09, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Dlewbell, forget the Mazda3 and get the Mazdaspeed 3. This is the real deal in terms of performance (power and handling). It's got 280 lb-ft of torque starting at 3k rpm. In addition to the significantly improved suspension over the previous gen it also has considerably stiffer chassis. You want a serious handling car go get the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3. The interior has been upscaled as well. It only comes in manual and does not come with power seats and sun/moon roof. It's all manual buddy, except for power window. Good luck on your shopping.
Maybe Dlewbell doesn't want to spend what a MazdaSpeed 3 costs...or what it costs to insure. Some people have to watch their budget nowadays. The last-generation Mazda3 also had a torque-limiter which cut back the power in 1st and 2nd gears because of the torque steer.

My StateFarm insurance said something like you have 15 days.
Yes, that varies by state (and perhaps by the company).....many states give you 30 days. But the point is that, by law, if you already own an insurance policy, you are automatically covered with any new car you buy for a certain period after the sale (under the policy's limits, of course). Still, don't delay...get that new car reported ASAP. I've seen people procrastinate day by day and go over the time limit.

(That's one reason, among many, why I like GEICO. They operate around the clock, 24 hours a day, and don't have regular agents keeping 9-5 office hours......after some button-pushing, you always get someone on the phone, any time of the day or night. Of course, some companies allow you to do things on-line, too, any time of the day or night).

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 08:37 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

The Mazda 3 is a great car. Have not read a bad review of one yet, and was pleased when I test drove one.

I don't know what kind of deal your getting, but if you need a hatch, I'd also highly recommend looking at the Subaru Imprezza. Especially if you can afford the turbo or the WRX.

We replaced our 02 Sentra SeR Spec-V (loved that car, btw) about a year ago. Looked at the Mazda 3, Lancer GTS, and Imprezza. Ended up with an 08 Imprezza Outback Sport. Like you, we were getting a great deal, as my brother-in-law is a Subie tech. So not only did I get a discount, but if anything goes wrong I can get it fixed for free.

Between the two, the Subie felt like it had just a touch more power. But didn't have quite the same throttle response as the 3. The 3 also felt more confident through the corners, where the Imprezza has a lot of body roll. If you plan on auto-x-ing it (like your avitar shows) you'll probably prefer the Mazda.

But as an everyday car, it's tough to beat AWD. Or the fact that Subies regularly see 300k + miles with little drama (I personally know of 6 or 8 with that many).

Just m thoughts, though.
Old 11-18-09, 05:46 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Thanks for the quick responses. You guys remind me why this is pretty much the only forum I go to.

I am 99% settled on the Mazda 3 at this point. Tomorrow night, I will get to see the Grand Touring trim in person (adds leather, heated seats, dual auto climate control, better headlights, & some other small changes) and drive the manual. The only thing I could imagine changing my mind at this point is if I don't like the feel of the stick.

You guys did bring up some good alternatives that I have looked at. I was leaning towards an Impreza/WRX, but the interior is not as nice, & my wife could not comfortably depress the clutch (she's 4'-10"). Until I found that out, I spent a few months staring at the Subarus. I would consider a Civic if it was available in a 5 door hatchback, but it's sadly not. It was only 1 year ago that my wife picked the Mazda 3 over the Civic. I didn't check out the Matrix/Vibe, but it doesn't seem as nice, & if it rides like a Corolla then I'd never touch it. I did consider the MazdaSpeed3, (it's actually within $500 of the GT trim) but as mmarshall stated the insurance cost would be higher and the gas cost would be a bit higher. I could probably afford it, but with an 80 mile roundtrip drive, I doubt I'd get much extra use out of it, especially considering the luxury equipment I'd miss. I have thought this through a lot over the last few months, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I went for it.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for purchasing across state lines? Anything extra I should watch out during the purchasing process or anything like that?

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinions & experiences.
Old 11-18-09, 09:54 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

It's unfortunate that the MS3 misses out on things like full leather seating and HID headlamps, but it keeps the customers limited to the true enthusiasts who want more than a "fun daily driver" and may visit the racetrack.
Old 11-19-09, 12:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

The goofy front styling is enough to turn me away, but if you can swallow that, it's a solid car that should last.
Old 11-19-09, 06:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The goofy front styling is enough to turn me away, but if you can swallow that, it's a solid car that should last.
I agree, I cannot look at that happy Gilmore grill for any long period of time, but if that cortoon grill dont bother you, the Mazda 3 is a great bargain, just like the Acura TL
Old 11-23-09, 04:59 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

So, I test drove the Mazda 3 equipped how I want it last week, & I love it even more than I expected. I've been talking to the dealer for the last few days, & he's working on getting one in stock before Friday. If he can get that done, it's mine. I'll post pictures when I finally get it.
Old 11-23-09, 07:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
So, I test drove the Mazda 3 equipped how I want it last week, & I love it even more than I expected. I've been talking to the dealer for the last few days, & he's working on getting one in stock before Friday. If he can get that done, it's mine. I'll post pictures when I finally get it.
Great choice!!

Old 12-04-09, 03:35 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Finally got my new Mazda 3. One of the dealers here was able to get the exact model I was looking for last Tuesday. I'm loving it.
Here are a few quick shots I took before it started raining. I'll post more & update my signature when I have the chance.

Quick Reply: Buying new Mazda3