Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Comparo: CTS-V vs. XFR vs. E63

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 09:43 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default C&D Comparo: CTS-V vs. XFR vs. E63

1st - 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG - My Mercedes can beat up your honor-roll sports car.

2nd - 2009 Cadillac CTS-V - Not quite the standard of the world but darn close.

3rd - 2010 Jaguar XFR - Pumped up on steroids, the XFR could use some more natural athleticism.

Under full-throttle acceleration, the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG spews such a thunderous wail from its four exhaust pipes that usually cheerful southern Germans, apparently used to the softer sounds of airplanes taking off and landing at our runway testing site, called to complain about the noise. In Bavaria, it seems, it’s an unalienable right to leave your windows open and protest when the slightest clank disturbs an idyllic afternoon.

Truth is, we weren’t exactly behaving like ambassadors of goodwill in a foreign land. We blame the cars, all supersedans pumping out more than 500 horsepower each. Even the Jaguar XFR, rebelling against its tweedy British stereotype, was nearly as loud from the side of the road as the Benz.

The Cadillac CTS-V, perhaps in an extension of President Obama’s happy rhetoric about restoring our relationship with Europe, provoked no such ire from Germany’s greens, thanks to a soft-spoken exhaust made to meet European noise regulations. Even with the muted soundtrack, our usually home-team-loyal German correspondent quickly deemed the Cadillac to be the sportiest-feeling car of our trio and one that, at $67,345, undercuts the test’s second-priciest Jaguar by more than $12,500.

It will cost you about $8000 more than the Jag to start looking at the Mercedes; with optional carbon-ceramic brakes, 19-inch wheels, and some luxury accouterments, we estimate an as-tested price to surge past a hundred grand. Those brakes are available right now in Europe, but their U.S. arrival will be delayed a year reportedly due to short supplies, thus the estimate. Also to be determined are the E63’s U.S. fuel-economy ratings and, thus, the severity of its gas-guzzler tax. And that doesn’t include the stealth-fighter matte paint on our test unit, which will be found stateside on only the SLS supercar for the foreseeable future.

Despite the disparate window stickers, everything else—horsepower, weight, terrible fuel economy, even tire width—is nearly identical in this group. Even the acceleration to 100 mph ended up in a three-way tie. We wouldn’t dare call any of these cars a loser, but still, there must be a winner.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 11-18-09, 09:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this issue in the mail, read parts of the article, and then threw it out.

If the CTS-V was an automatic (as the other two were) it would have handily blown the Jaguar and Mercedes to shreds in every performance test.

Not to mention that at FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS more than the CTS-V it's rather impossible to give this win to the E63.
Old 11-18-09, 10:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I agree, I don't think that the E63 is "better" than the CTS-V for it's price tag. I don't really like the new E Class styling either; I'm like the CTS-V though.
Old 11-18-09, 11:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Who cares whatthe mags have to say. The CTS-V is the car of choice in this group. It is a 4 door Vette Zr1!
Old 11-18-09, 11:26 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If the CTS-V was an automatic (as the other two were) it would have handily blown the Jaguar and Mercedes to shreds in every performance test.

Not to mention that at FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS more than the CTS-V it's rather impossible to give this win to the E63.
Yep

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
.... The CTS-V is the car of choice in this group. It is a 4 door Vette Zr1!
Yes... yes it is...
Old 11-18-09, 11:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It was fun reading, but I ignore the conclusion/verdicts anyway in these mags. I reach my own conclusion.
Old 11-18-09, 11:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

You just have to keep in mind that the rankings were THEIR preference. They had the advantage of driving the cars back to back but different people will have different opinions...
Old 11-18-09, 11:41 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Jag had me at the raising shift dial
Old 11-18-09, 11:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You just have to keep in mind that the rankings were THEIR preference. They had the advantage of driving the cars back to back but different people will have different opinions...
Exactly, that's why I can't get excited about agreeing or not agreeing with the magazine writers. Talk about opinions, the internet is loaded with them.

What they do provide is consistent instrumented testing for comparison purposes (that casual drives don't allow), weights & dimension, MSRP price verification and some useful feedback.
Old 11-18-09, 12:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my preference would be the E63, then CTS-V, then the Jag. The jaguar is already plagued with ssue. I cant imagine spending that much money on a car and having big issues with it. It makes me wonder how Mercedes stays in business
Old 11-18-09, 01:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have found that the Car&Driver writers almost always mirror my opinions on cars they test drive mostly because of their performance bias, and yes there is no substitute for test driving cars back to back for as long you need for a comparison
Old 11-18-09, 05:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaydee
The Jag had me at the raising shift dial
Knowing Jaguar that will be broken in 6 months.
Old 11-18-09, 05:12 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I got this issue in the mail, read parts of the article, and then threw it out.

Why do they even make a manual CTS-V? 3.9 seconds 0-60 for the automatic... that's faster than either car.
Old 11-18-09, 05:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can hear the engine growl of the next M5 from where I sit. Expect segment buster numbers from this car.. These puppies better run for cover
Old 11-18-09, 06:01 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I can hear the engine growl of the next M5 from where I sit. Expect segment buster numbers from this car.. These puppies better run for cover
At almost twice the price the M5 can hardly compete with the CTS-V, which is a competitor (in size and performance).

Quick Reply: C&D Comparo: CTS-V vs. XFR vs. E63