Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How you can drive a new Corvette and annoy GM

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 06:15 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cool idea but feel bad for salesperson to deal with this douch....
Old 11-19-09, 06:22 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faymester
See, I think the guy 'John' is a bit of a shmuck.
I think shmuck is a rather generous description.
Old 11-19-09, 08:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
See, I think the guy 'John' is a bit of a shmuck.
Yah, me too.
Old 11-19-09, 09:55 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yah, me too.
Totally. I feel bad for the salesperson having to deal with someone like that.
Old 11-19-09, 10:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Totally. I feel bad for the salesperson having to deal with someone like that.
dont feel bad for car salesmen or GM for that matter. They are all out to screw you. The only difference is to what degree.
Old 11-19-09, 10:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,059 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
dont feel bad for car salesmen or GM for that matter. They are all out to screw you. The only difference is to what degree.
[rant]Sure. Not like they're trying to make a living or support their families or anything like that...they get joy from screwing people over so they'll never buy from the dealership again...

FWIW, I would buy (again) from Elise Fong at Longo Lexus in a heartbeat. She totally rocked my IS350 purchase. I'd've bought my IS-F from her if I were still in California.[/rant]

now back to your regularly scheduled dealership bashing...
Old 11-20-09, 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately the so-called profession of car salesperson is heavily populated by less than stellar characters. There are good exceptions of course.
Old 11-20-09, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why is "minus tax" an "of course"? If you return a hammer to Home Depot, you get your tax payment back. Sales tax is on a sale. If you return, is there a sale? That's a significant chunk of change for a car purchase.
Companies are not required to refund sales tax money, because they don't profit from it.........that money goes to state or local governments. Some companies and managers, though, do refund it on a case-by case basis, if they want to maintain customer satisfaction.
Old 11-20-09, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Unfortunately the so-called profession of car salesperson is heavily populated by less than stellar characters. There are good exceptions of course.
The buisness practices of selling new cars has improved considerably in the last 20 years or so...........mostly because of the pricing/customer-service innovations pioneered in the 1990's by Saturn, Lexus, and Infiniti. And the practice of selling used cars, of course (once lower than street gutters), was vastly improved by the Certified Pre-Owned-car programs the manufacturers adopted....though (trust me) not all CPO's are as pristine-like as the ads would suggest.

Some vultures, unfortunately, as you note, still remain in the car-sales buisness, but, by and large, they don't get away with quite the same stuff they once did (the 1980's, for example, was an especially corrupt period, especially for those who sold Japanese nameplates during the limited-import period). Truth-in-Lending Laws, laws requiring leasing details, and, of course, state lemon laws have also worked a lot to help clean up the buisness. Many salespeople today are eager to make new friends out of customers and retain them..........that helps get repeat buisness in the future.
Old 11-20-09, 08:57 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

GM global VP to personally call buyers who returned a vehicle
By MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

General Motors Co.’s vice president for global engineering will spend the next few evenings calling customers who bought a GM vehicle and returned it during the company’s “May the best car win” promotion.

GM chairman Ed Whitacre suggested engineering vice president Mark Reuss and his team make the follow-up calls to figure out what went wrong and improve the products.

Less than 0.1%, or 200 of the 220,000 people who qualified for the exchange offer, used it, and only about 20 buyers won’t move into some other GM vehicle. But Reuss jumped at the idea.

“This is about as direct and unfiltered feedback as we’ve ever done,” the 26-year GM veteran said. “It feels pretty good.”

Reuss planned to call a buyer tonight who returned a Chevrolet Silverado pickup because of dissatisfaction with its interior room, paint and the quality of its finish. “I want to know exactly why they weren’t satisfied,” he said.

Reuss is troubled by GM’s disappointing performance in Consumer Reports magazine’s recent survey of new vehicles.

“Reliability has been the Achilles’ heel of GM for my entire career,” he said, promising he would focus the company’s engineers around the world on fixing the problem. “It gets down to an individual engineer’s ability to find a problem and leadership’s ability to fix it,” he said, adding that too many GM engineers have been reluctant to point out problems because they were afraid they’d get the blame rather than praise for catching the mistake before customers suffered.

“We have to reinvigorate ourselves around what makes vehicles reliable and valuable to customers,” he said.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009111...rned-a-vehicle
Old 11-20-09, 09:01 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I definitely see your choice on that matter.

But my preference is to do what I've done historically to avoid buyers remorse and that's to not purchase GM cars, although I have owned one GM truck with reasonable satisfaction.
+1, Only the big three American manufacturers would have a gimmick program like this. If they gave me the car for 90 days I wouldn't do it. No UAW built car is allowed on my property. Hope Obama Motor goes broke doing this shell game.
Old 11-20-09, 09:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
+1, Only the big three American manufacturers would have a gimmick program like this. If they gave me the car for 90 days I wouldn't do it. No UAW built car is allowed on my property. Hope Obama Motor goes broke doing this shell game.

Ok,maybe a Ford product,maybe.
Old 11-20-09, 09:27 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

btw - I read on the current GM program that 90% of the buyers are taking a $500 discount to opt out of the program.
Yep
Old 11-20-09, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tromly
+1, Only the big three American manufacturers would have a gimmick program like this.
Gimmick is exactly what it is. Because GM knows the odds of somebody returning the car is very low. And the crap/hard-sell interaction/wasted hours with horrible salespeople and management (plural) before a return transaction could actually be completed would wear down even the most determined customer. It's not a situation that any astute and educated car buyer wants to put himself or herself in, that's why the $500 opt-out exists.
Old 11-20-09, 09:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The buisness practices of selling new cars has improved considerably in the last 20 years or so...........mostly because of the pricing/customer-service innovations pioneered in the 1990's by Saturn, Lexus, and Infiniti. And the practice of selling used cars, of course (once lower than street gutters), was vastly improved by the Certified Pre-Owned-car programs the manufacturers adopted....though (trust me) not all CPO's are as pristine-like as the ads would suggest.

Some vultures, unfortunately, as you note, still remain in the car-sales buisness, but, by and large, they don't get away with quite the same stuff they once did (the 1980's, for example, was an especially corrupt period, especially for those who sold Japanese nameplates during the limited-import period). Truth-in-Lending Laws, laws requiring leasing details, and, of course, state lemon laws have also worked a lot to help clean up the buisness. Many salespeople today are eager to make new friends out of customers and retain them..........that helps get repeat buisness in the future.
Yes, that's certainly a lot of stuff about the good old days, but the overall state of cars salesmanship as a profession is still quite poor as viewed by the general public.

Of course most of us experienced buyers enter via the side door by appointment dealing only with the best salespeople and dealing mainly on price often in advance over the phone and email. For example my Lexus internet sales manager that I deal with has earned my respect and future business, the making of friends is secondary to pricing and professional performance.

Quick Reply: How you can drive a new Corvette and annoy GM