Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat exec to revive De Tomaso name plate for 3 new cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 07:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Fiat exec to revive De Tomaso name plate for 3 new cars

The legendary Italian marque De Tomaso may be revived if former Fiat exec Gian Mario Rossignolo is successful with his plans. In 2003, MG took over the label to secure a production facility for a new sports car but the plans went bust and Tomaso closed its doors just one year later.
Rossignolo recently purchased the Tomaso name to build three new aluminum cars, with numbers expected to top 8,000 units. The range will include a crossover, a luxury sedan and a new coupe.
The cars will use an advanced aluminum construction technique called Univis, which requires just about 30 dies to build a vehicle. Production will take place in part of Pininfarina's factory in Grugliasco, in the western outskirts of Turin.
The first model is expected to debut at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.
Tomaso is mostly recognized for its Pantera supercar (pictured). The unique vehicle was a sports car that was built by Tomaso from 1971 to 1996 and featured a steel monocoque chassis and a 330 horsepower 5.7-liter Ford Cleveland V-8 engine mated to a ZF five-speed manual. The cars were sold in the U.S. by Ford through its Lincoln dealers and one was even sold to Elvis Presley.
Attached Thumbnails Fiat exec to revive De Tomaso name plate for 3 new cars-de-tomaso-pantera_100233407_l.jpg  
Old 11-19-09, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm not necessarily against the idea of bring the De Tomaso nameplate back, but, IMO, right now, there are far more important matters for Fiat to involve itself with.......the biggest, of course, reviving a dying Chrysler Corporation. First things first............if there is any money left over, THEN worry about De Tomaso.
Old 11-19-09, 08:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I feel the same way. I will be amazed if they can revive Chrysler. Imho that company was dead for long before the 300 came out. The 300 was merely the twitch of a corpse that makes you think its still alive
Old 11-19-09, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will be amazed if they can revive Chrysler. Imho that company was dead for long before the 300 came out. The 300 was merely the twitch of a corpse that makes you think its still alive
I wouldn't say dead. The Chrysler PT Cruiser, Plymouth Prowler, and Chrysler Crossfire all preceeded the RWD 300 (not necessarily the earler FWD 300), and really opened some eyes.....and wallets; though, admittedly, it is true that the outrageous-looking Prowler did not sell much. And the company has always sold a lot of minivans, which, though not exciting, were at least steady and profitable.

I'm glad, though, that we both agree on the need for Fiat to concentrate on first things first.