Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09 | 08:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????

I was just looking at these options that are available in Japan. I think they are horribly ugly. The Lexus engineers and designers did an amazing job on the interior of the LS imho. I guess some people want their LS 460 to look like its owned by a clown. I dont like the leather color options or the accents on the wood.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????-lexus-l-select-customization-program-1.jpg   Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????-lexus-l-select-customization-program-4.jpg   Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????-lexus-l-select-customization-program-2.jpg   Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????-lexus-l-select-customization-program-5.jpg   Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????-lexus-l-select-customization-program-6.jpg  

Old 11-19-09 | 08:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Japanese aesthetic differs from American tastes. I mean, have you seen how they modify cars?

Ultimately, part of luxury in Japan is the ability to personalize the car, whether it's a factory option or aftermarket choice. For Lexus to compete with established makes, they needed to create the L Select program.

To each his own regarding taste in design...
Old 11-19-09 | 08:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I think with the original choices they've offered for most major markets, they know the more traditional colors that are most popular...now they're adding variety. With 30,000 possible combinations for the LS, I think it's probable to find a design which suits one's taste...not to mention there are literally 30 billion possible combinations for the LFA as well.

I found it interesting they are comparing interior color palettes to high-priced furniture...IMO here, Topaz Beige and Rose seem nice...Scarlet seems a bit blingy.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????-img_lselect_lselect_04.jpg  
Old 11-19-09 | 09:09 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually would like to see them bring these kind of options to the NA market. One thing that Lexus lacks is choices for different interiors and colors. While I'm not a fan of several of the choices you displayed, I would like more than just two choices for the interiors.
Old 11-19-09 | 09:26 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like how they have a lot of choices for seat colors, ugh not feeling that checkered pattern wood trim on the center console though.
Old 11-19-09 | 09:27 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I so dig that Topaz Beige. That's what I'm trying to aim for on my SC.
Old 11-19-09 | 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The " Rose" package look great. Everything else looks like **** to me
Old 11-19-09 | 11:43 PM
LexFather

I think its fantastic. Those pics only show a small amount of options. I would love to have red leather and greywood etc...

People have asked for years here, hope it comes. Encore posted recently in the sales thread that Lexus is now 3rd in sales in Japan and only a couple thousand units behind the 2 leaders....huge accomplishment in 3 years....
Old 11-20-09 | 06:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think its fantastic. Those pics only show a small amount of options. I would love to have red leather and greywood etc...

People have asked for years here, hope it comes. Encore posted recently in the sales thread that Lexus is now 3rd in sales in Japan and only a couple thousand units behind the 2 leaders....huge accomplishment in 3 years....
indeed... problem is the price... who will pay the price?

otherwise, it is very cool.... it might be tacky to some lexus owner, but look at inside of european high price cars, egzotics, etc, and by same standards, it is all tacky.
Old 11-20-09 | 06:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Received 817 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I actually would like to see them bring these kind of options to the NA market. One thing that Lexus lacks is choices for different interiors and colors. While I'm not a fan of several of the choices you displayed, I would like more than just two choices for the interiors.
Agreed. While the Germans usually have the standard hot sellers/popular packages in stock, having the option to custom order it to your specs is a great option. By adding this feature to other markets, they can better compete with the Germans.
Old 11-20-09 | 06:55 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
indeed... problem is the price... who will pay the price?

otherwise, it is very cool.... it might be tacky to some lexus owner, but look at inside of european high price cars, egzotics, etc, and by same standards, it is all tacky.
Agreed.

If the customization is as easy as it looks in this video, I would think that they could bring this program to the US and dealers could do the customization in-house, without the need for them to be shipped from the factory in Japan customized.

Lexus L-Select Customization Video
Old 11-20-09 | 08:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Agreed.

If the customization is as easy as it looks in this video, I would think that they could bring this program to the US and dealers could do the customization in-house, without the need for them to be shipped from the factory in Japan customized.

Lexus L-Select Customization Video
problem is that it costs a lot of money to have parts replaced...
Old 11-20-09 | 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the whole idea of this is not about how "ugly" you can make a car into, but the ability go give customers the choice to configure the car into something THEY love. it's not like with this program you can only make the car to be uglier, that's completely a wrong approach to the package/option.
Old 11-20-09 | 08:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I would pay 10k extra just to get that black/red interior. I love it!
Old 11-20-09 | 08:54 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
problem is that it costs a lot of money to have parts replaced...
That's true, but I would think that this program would be expensive and exclusive anyway. It could be an additional $10K over the MSRP just to participate for all we know. Even at that price I think it wold be popular for those that want an exclusive unique ride.

Quick Reply: Lexus L Select options.....Good or Bad ????