Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 LS 460 Sport is "now a better drive than the S550 Sport"(updated RT comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 07:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The more I study the body of the LS, the more I see the styling as one generation behind. The shape of the headlights, taillights, grille, and greenhouse are pretty plain and odinary. I agree if the bodykit was done nicer, it would help the sport quotent improve. But I stull think the car is too formal and upright to have an honest sport look.
The A8/S/7/LS all are traditional 3 box shapes. The XJ and Quattroporte really are more stylish here.

The funny thing is this LS is by far the sportiest looking and some think its still not sporty enough. I think Lexus did a a great job making it looks sportier while keeping traditional LS cues. We all know 99% of LSs will be non-sport and be cruised in.

I am a fan of the new 7 with the sport package, while it does look like the new 5 I think it looks great.

Old 09-06-10, 08:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can say the same thing. Virtually every modern BMW I have driven has, by assisted-steering standards, been unmatched in the feel/communication department.
Yes, BMW has consistently excelled in this steering department in the premium luxury sedans like ones in this test, agreed.

But for a better understanding of the best steering systems (both assisted and unassisted), read the October C&D article of best handling cars in America (which include Boxster, Z06, M3, GT-R, Elise, GTI, RX-8) to see which cars have the best steering systems. But the point of reading this article isn't to find out which car handles best or steers best, the point is to understand why the top 3 cars from a steering standpoint excel (the attributes that give them the best steering, rather than generalizations and common knowledge). 3 of the cars in the test had better steering feel than the BMW tested, none of the cars had poor steering systems.
Old 09-06-10, 08:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The A8/S/7/LS all are traditional 3 box shapes. The XJ and Quattroporte really are more stylish here.

The funny thing is this LS is by far the sportiest looking and some think its still not sporty enough. I think Lexus did a a great job making it looks sportier while keeping traditional LS cues. We all know 99% of LSs will be non-sport and be cruised in.

Agreed, all of these cars have elegant but sleek profiles. None are extremely sporty in terms of styling and they shouldn't be. The LS with it wide stance, fastback rear roofline/window, somewhat high beltline looks plenty agressive in this class of cars.
Old 09-06-10, 11:42 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those wheels are only 19's, they look a tad small, if they were an inch bigger and maybe a bit wider they'd look great. Just my 2 cents. The BMW is turbocharged. The Lexus isn't, yet still gets better economy, thanks to it's gearbox, but still even in their tests it was 1mpg better. that's 15miles a tank at least. I like the way the Lexus looks compared to the BMW. I wonder how that BMW would stand up against the new Jag though.
Old 09-07-10, 07:21 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"For some, the BMW’s interior styling could come off as boring. But for those who prefer subtlety over flair, there’s comfort in German simplicity, especially since you’ll have to conserve every ounce of sense you’ve got left for what this car is capable of showing you dynamically. "

If the same were reversed, the Lexus interior would be called "boring" and without character.

Strange reading a R&T article where the Lexus gets some points. I think the editor must have been on vacation or something and "Bob" the office troll approved the article. Can't believe they didn't just outright bash the LS-sport.
Old 09-07-10, 10:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, BMW has consistently excelled in this steering department in the premium luxury sedans like ones in this test, agreed.

But for a better understanding of the best steering systems (both assisted and unassisted), read the October C&D article of best handling cars in America (which include Boxster, Z06, M3, GT-R, Elise, GTI, RX-8) to see which cars have the best steering systems. But the point of reading this article isn't to find out which car handles best or steers best, the point is to understand why the top 3 cars from a steering standpoint excel (the attributes that give them the best steering, rather than generalizations and common knowledge). 3 of the cars in the test had better steering feel than the BMW tested, none of the cars had poor steering systems.
GREAT reference, watch Pobst drive too to understand how he can place certain cars at will
Old 09-07-10, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
If the same were reversed, the Lexus interior would be called "boring" and without character.
I don't see how an interior with Lexus-LS grade of leather, wood, comfort, and tomb-quietness can be considered "boring". I personally enjoy driving a vehicle like that....it actually keeps me awake. And as for the LS460's insanely-killer Mark-Levinson stereo, crank up AC/DC, James Brown, or classic 80's Heavy Metal on THAT and, guranteed, you will be anything but bored.
Old 09-07-10, 12:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boring

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see how an interior with Lexus-LS grade of leather, wood, comfort, and tomb-quietness can be considered "boring". I personally enjoy driving a vehicle like that....it actually keeps me awake. And as for the LS460's insanely-killer Mark-Levinson stereo, crank up AC/DC, James Brown, or classic 80's Heavy Metal on THAT and, guranteed, you will be anything but bored.
I don't find the Lexus interiors (except for perhaps the ES350) to be boring at all. I think they're quite functional and laid out quite nice with the right touch of wood and leather applications. The soft-touch materials have gotten slightly cheaper last few years on some models, but they're still quite nice.

I was just saying that if the LS had the BMW's interior, the writer would have said it was boring, instead of "comfort in simplicity"

I don't think Lexus will, and personally should not, drive like a BMW. Let the BMW be a BMW. Lexus owners want something more comfortable and good for the body for the other 90% of the driving experience that is not just accelerating and going around turns at .9g.