Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beater cars you wish you still had?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 01:20 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beater cars you wish you still had?

Interesting topic came up on one of my motorcycle forums recently. The question was what cheap, beater bike we've owned that we really missed and would love to have back, so I thought it'd be good fodder for cars as well.

For many of us, a really nice car was not always an option. Heck, even my used IS-300 was far less than a brand new Civic (but that's another story). So for those that have not always been able to have the car they really wanted, or had to settle for a $2000 zoomer at some point, is there one that you just absolutely fell in love with? Would like to have back, or find another as just a toy?

For me, it was an 88 Honda CRX Si. What a great car! Only paid $3k for it, and got seven years and 150k miles from the old girl. Only reason I got rid of it was it cost more to do the bodywork to make it pass inspection then I could ever sell the thing for. But that's not why I loved the car...

First off, that CRX was bullet-proof. Sure, it had the typical body rust, but mechanically, you couldn't kill the thing. Never had to put a dime into the motor, or running gear that I didn't want to. And even if I neglected the maintenance once in a while, the thing just ran like a top.

Also, the car was practical. You'd think that at under 1900lbs (by the time I was done with it) and the size of a roller-skate, it'd be a pain in inclimate weather. But it wasn't. A cheap set of snows got me through the worst that a Pittsburgh winter could throw at it. Though it did get a tad squirrelly in heavy rain at higher speeds. It consistently got 30-35mpg, even with my heavy right foot. And lets not forget that, though only a two seater, that big hatch meant I could haul quite a bit if needed.

But the best part of that car? It was a great little hot-rod! Sure it only had 130hp, and 100lbs of torque (after mods), but it didn't need much more at 2000 pounds fully loaded. It launched hard off the line and pulled aggressively though the whole gearbox. And in the twisties, at a track day,or on an autocross course, it handled like a go-kart at any speed. Just crank the wheel, and it went where you wanted it to, instantly. And it didn't cost me a lot to modify. For a grand total of $500, I had a nice, used cat-back, strut-tower braces, header, intake, and some various other things - all bought from the internet, or friends who road-raced Honda's.

It wasn't real refined, didn't turn heads, or have monster power, but man was it great fun to drive! And for less money than many people put into rims and tires or a stereo. If I ever get the urge (and finances) to build a car to go club racing, I might just have to go find myself another CRX!! Even over the Miata I had. It was just that much fun to drive.

So, what beater did you have that you just fell in love with? Most of us didn't always have the means for a nice car, but I'm sure many of you have similar, fond memories of a $2-4k car. Tell us a story...
Old 11-20-09, 01:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i miss my 92 camry. that car is insanely solid even after good 14-15 yrs. loved the car, we took it everywhere, put on good mileages on the car too. too bad we transferred the title to my cousin in law and he totaled the car in a week
Old 11-20-09, 02:01 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i miss my 92 camry. that car is insanely solid even after good 14-15 yrs. loved the car, we took it everywhere, put on good mileages on the car too. too bad we transferred the title to my cousin in law and he totaled the car in a week
had a 92 Camry back in college.. i have to say it was the best car i ever had... bought it from a buddy of mine for 500bucks that included 230K, oil leak, Mazda Rims, and a broken driver side speaker... overall, it started every time i turn the ignition.
Old 11-20-09, 02:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1996 Jeep GC Limited AWD 5.7L V8. Sold it at 85K miles and the buyer used it and abused it until 159K miles when he traded it away, only problem that came up was with AC.
Old 11-20-09, 03:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Had a 1999 Passat turbo. Wasn't the most reliable, but was light, tossable, punchy, and got great mileage. It was also my "party" car with it's blue and red lighting, black interior, and silver exterior. Back in the 90's, VW was up and coming with the Passat, the new Jetta (1999), and new Beetle (1998). Great memories!
Old 11-20-09, 05:28 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old dodge colt (forget what year) with Mitsubishi engine and overdrive. Great little hatchback!
Old 11-20-09, 05:42 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

1971 GMC Sprint (elcamino by GMC) $2500 bought to haul engine parts to auto swap meets drove cross county fully loaded when I moved to CA. commuted around LA might still have it but the top rusted thru from so many free car washes with gas fillup because of vinyl top (green top & interior)
Old 11-20-09, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Do you guys REALLY want me to describe one of my favorite old beaters? You will probably laugh.
Old 11-20-09, 08:48 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1983 Toyota Cressida. 5M-GE FTW...

My parents also had a 1991 Accord as well.
Old 11-20-09, 10:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

My father's 1979 Chevy Nova. Lasted a long time and got really tuned up for power in the 1/4 mile. We actually used it as a game car to go to Dolphins and Hurricanes games here in Miami, along with being a utility car.
Old 11-21-09, 06:00 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you guys REALLY want me to describe one of my favorite old beaters? You will probably laugh.
Humor us Marshall!!!

My first car was a hand me down 1971 Corolla 2 door. I also had a 1982 Honda Prelude. The thing was fugly, but it was very light and fun to drive.
Old 11-21-09, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
Humor us Marshall!!!
OK. In my teens and young adulthood (late 60's-early 70's) I liked not only the American muscle cars (I had a used Plymouth Barracuda) but, unlike most teens, big, soft-riding luxury cars as well (one of my best friends was the same way....he liked big, full-size GM cars). My dad, who worked for Philco-Ford after he left the Army, used to bring home big company Lincolns and Mercurys at night......and let me drive them, because I was a careful driver for my age and could be trusted (more so than most teens).

I stated before, on CAR CHAT, that I had two Buicks before I was 20. One of them was a big, used Electra 225 with a fair number of miles on it (I couldn't afford new cars in those days). The Electra was HUGE.....done on the standard Cadillac frame. It had completely faded-out paint (GM's acrylic-lacquer paint was terrible in those days), a rip in the drivers' seat, worn valves/piston rings which used a lot of oil, slow-working power window motors, and a dent in one of the front fenders, Several of my friends laughed and called me Grandpa.

But, oh my gosh, was that car comfortable. I did some hard work in those days, and it was a pleasure driving home, though tired, in comfort. It handled like a battleship (most larger cars did back then, except for some Chrysler products). Its seats were like an ultra-soft living-room sofa. Its Super-Turbine Hydra-Matic transmission, mostly fluid-operated with few moving parts, was comparable, if not actually smoother, to today's smoothest Lexus transmissions (Buick Dynaflow/Super Turbine transmissions from the late 40s to the late 60s were known for excessive smoothness but also inefficiency).

I kept it about a year, and then sold it to a friend of my dad (the best man at my dad's wedding, BTW). His son was a mechanic, and could take care of it.

Though that car was old, worn out, and wouldn't win any beauty contests, I have never forgotten it, and still vividly and fondly remember it for its comfort and butter-smooth drivetrain.....smoother than in newer Buicks, BTW. But its gas mileage was atrocious unless you did steady, moderate highway speeds.

So, go ahead and laugh, guys....I don't care. I know many of you consider Buicks as geezer cars. But I sure liked mine. But, eventually, I became sold on Subarus, for a number of reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-09 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-21-09, 08:45 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Had a 94 Toyota Supra TT 6spd white/blk interior new back in high school.. my parents traded in for a lexus back in jan 97.. car was in origanal mint condition when it was trade in.. it was a beater car for about 2.5 year but it was keep really nice... sometime i still wish i have that car TODAY in the exect same condition/millege when it was traded in....
Old 11-21-09, 10:03 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

1971 Firebird Formula was my first car, more of a unfinished project than beater it was missing the center console & carpet & the starter mounted solenoid was bad so to start the car you had to turn on the key & stick a screwdriver thru the header tubes to ground the starter terminals. This was extra hard at night to avoid the headers & sparks that fly if I touched the wrong thing. The prior owner had replaced the 350 engine with a 455 so it was torqueos-humongous but non-posi rear axle paired with OEM 14" tires made it a burnout machine. The nearly new right-rear tire lasted 2 weeks as I made my mark all over town. I still had no carpet & the rear seatbelts were gone so when smoking the tire, smoke came thru the big boltholes for the seatbelt anchors and filled the backseat. This activity was taken to a new level later when I installed a 3:55 12-bolt posi rear out of a 70 T/A parts car I bought & 2 spacesaver spares I borrowed from rental cars at the airport where I worked. With "doughnut" tires on the rear I could floor it at 35mph & leave twin black marks for blocks, doughnuts were easy too but I had to leave enough tread on the spares to replace in the rental car & still be usable.

Old 11-21-09, 10:07 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
Had a 94 Toyota Supra TT 6spd white/blk interior new
...whoa.

I wish I kept my Subaru SVX. Just sold my second one last year. If I had garage space, I'd definitely buy my third lol.

Quick Reply: Beater cars you wish you still had?