Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road and track Audi TTS vs. BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 03:18 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Road and track Audi TTS vs. BMW 135i

Is it possible, an Audi with such poor weight distrubution can beat a perfectly balance BMW at its own game:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8369

Last edited by The G Man; 11-21-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-21-09, 03:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

BMW is getting a bit smacked around by Audi.
First the S4 beating out the 335i in Car & Driver and now the TTS over the 135i.
Old 11-21-09, 04:14 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The TTS is a very nice car. I actually love the TTRS much more as I was very close to getting one. 335 love got me This Audi is a hot car! The next 135 is in testing right now so Audi may need to get back to the drawing board.
Old 11-21-09, 04:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is it poosible, an Audi with such poor weight distrubution can beat a perfectly balance BMW at its own game:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8369
Yes, due to AWD. But then why would I want a sawed-off looking BMW....
Old 11-21-09, 05:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
BMW is getting a bit smacked around by Audi.
First the S4 beating out the 335i in Car & Driver and now the TTS over the 135i.
The 3 series is BMW's bread and butter and the 1 series were suppose to be the BMW's poor man's 3 series. I am guessing BMW will not like being beaten at their own game, which is performance. One top of that, the interiors of these Audi are much nicer than that BMW.
I truely hope these two *** whipping will wake BMW up, they are no longer an automatic choice for anyone looking for a performance car. BMW really need to step up their interior and exterior designs. VW's new merger with Porsche will only help Audi in term of performance. All this will help us as consumer, we will have more to choose from and get more cars for our money.
Old 11-21-09, 05:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 3 series is BMW's bread and butter and the 1 series were suppose to be the BMW's poor man's 3 series. I am guessing BMW will not like being beaten at their own game, which is performance. One top of that, the interiors of these Audi are much nicer than that BMW.
I truely hope these two *** whipping will wake BMW up, they are no longer an automatic choice for anyone looking for a performance car. BMW really need to step up their interior and exterior designs. VW's new merger with Porsche will only help Audi in term of performance. All this will help us as consumer, we will have more to choose from and get more cars for our money.
I would not go as far as calling the 1 series "a poor man's 335." There are some vast differences in the hardware on both cars.. For instance, the 6 pot brakes on the 1 series. Both cars offer a different driving experience also. These are magazine tests.. One really has to drive these cars to get the feel.. From my time behind the wheel of Audi's, the classic Audi body roll & front heaviness is still evident. BMW is still the king of driving dynamics & will continue to be a step or two or three ahead of the competition.
Old 11-21-09, 07:30 PM
LexFather

what? BMW fools Americans sending only the 1 coupe and the big engine ones. The car is an entry level subcompact in Europe with tons of weak engines and diesels. They get 2 and 5 door hatchbacks.

That said I always had a thing for the 135 coupe and I'd rock one b4 the 3. I really like it! What a sleeper!

Old 11-22-09, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would not go as far as calling the 1 series "a poor man's 335." There are some vast differences in the hardware on both cars.. For instance, the 6 pot brakes on the 1 series. Both cars offer a different driving experience also. These are magazine tests.. One really has to drive these cars to get the feel.. From my time behind the wheel of Audi's, the classic Audi body roll & front heaviness is still evident. BMW is still the king of driving dynamics & will continue to be a step or two or three ahead of the competition.
Personal perference aside, the test data dont lie. Of course one's perfect driving experience is different from another. I perdonally like Audi's more relax driving experience and if I want to open it up, I can play with the best BMW can offer as stated in this comparo. While BMW still offer a good performance driving experience, their everyday driving experience is really lacking behind. It all really start with that awful interior, personally, I cannot feel good about looking at that BMW interior on a long drive. The Audi and BMW driving experience is just different, BMW is design for performance and nothing else, while Audi is much more well rounded in its design.
Body roll, front heaviness aside, this little TTS beat the all mighty 1 series in handling. BMW cannot be sitting comfortable right now, my guess is that their R&D dept is working double shift as we speak.

Last edited by The G Man; 11-22-09 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-22-09, 08:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not surprised. I have a feeling many are aiming directly at the BMW 3 series
Old 11-22-09, 08:53 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Audi TTs and a very nice car......but I really would want to see what the TTRs is gonna be.
Old 11-22-09, 09:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I like the one coupe, but IMHO it needed to be lighter.
Old 11-22-09, 11:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm so the wrong person to comment on the 1 since it landed in my rejection pile
Old 11-23-09, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
I'm so the wrong person to comment on the 1 since it landed in my rejection pile
BMW should have done more with the one design instead of just chopping off the 3 series, the car just do not look proportional.
Old 11-23-09, 11:25 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Audi TTS.... $52K... WOW!
Old 11-23-09, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newr
Audi TTS.... $52K... WOW!
The pricing of both these small cars explains the very low sales volume.

Quick Reply: Road and track Audi TTS vs. BMW 135i