Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 08:31 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pretty much a no brainer. I'd get a 535i over the m37.
Is that a knee-jerk reaction to the brand, or did you actually test drive both vehicles?
Old 04-16-10, 08:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Good. Now give us a $40k, 4 cylinder turbo. Glad to see the price of midsize of luxury is still coming down. This is right where it should be. IMO it had gotten a bit out of hand.
Old 04-17-10, 03:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

if bmw prices the 535 and 550 similarly, that would mean the 535i could be had starting at 49000.

not much more expensive than a base model infiniti m37.

pretty much a no brainer. I'd get a 535i over the m37.

frankly, I can live with leatherette seats. they're all covered with some kind of coating anyway.
even alcantara i'm ok with. all synthetic stuff
So a base 528i is priced cheaper than an M37, and a 535i will start at roughly 50K, not much more than an M37. 528i now has 240 HP, and should do 0-60 in the mid-6 second range.

Also the 550i will be priced starting at roughly 60K, which is only a bit more than the M56.

This does not look good for Infiniti, especially with the E350 and E550 very competitively priced as well.

If Lexus prices the next-gen GS competitively, Infiniti will have a real problem on their hands.

Originally Posted by madoka
Is that a knee-jerk reaction to the brand, or did you actually test drive both vehicles?
On looks and brand prestige alone, the BMW wins IMHO.
Old 04-17-10, 05:00 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

the new 5 series looks great in person. Ive seen both 535 & 550 at NY autoshow. If I had to choose between the new M and the new 5 series, I'd go with bmw. I cant remember the exact price of 535i, but it was somewhere in the 40ies. Bmw is making a smart move in current economy.
Old 04-17-10, 07:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So a base 528i is priced cheaper than an M37, and a 535i will start at roughly 50K, not much more than an M37. 528i now has 240 HP, and should do 0-60 in the mid-6 second range.

Also the 550i will be priced starting at roughly 60K, which is only a bit more than the M56.

This does not look good for Infiniti, especially with the E350 and E550 very competitively priced as well.

If Lexus prices the next-gen GS competitively, Infiniti will have a real problem on their hands.

Base prices don't really mean jack. You need to compared prices when the cars are "similarly equipped" and account lease deals into the equation.
Old 04-17-10, 08:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Munich says both fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are improved by 10% and a zero-emissions EV mode is available, as the hybrid 5 is a full hybrid.
Only 10% and its a full hybrid? I guess that is better than the 0% of the 7 series mild hybrid.
Old 04-17-10, 03:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka

exactly my thinking. I don't care if the m37S beats the bmw by a little on a few performance benchmarks.

the bmw is the less uglier of the two.

leave the wavy crap and radical styling to hyundai.

there are decades of heritage behind the bmw. 6 years of m35 is not enough to beat the bmw.

Originally Posted by Och
Base prices don't really mean jack. You need to compared prices when the cars are "similarly equipped" and account lease deals into the equation.
look at bmw's website. a stripped model is pretty loaded, minus the leather seats and navigation.

When i was shopping for my car in 2007, the local bmw dealership had stripped models available.
leatherette and all.

in contrast, the infiniti always had the premium package tacked on at an extra cost. That's how they ordered them.

so in my area, base prices are fair game.

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-17-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-17-10, 03:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yes that's true, but it still affects people psychologically. Before they even see lease deals or "comparably" equipped models, many people might take the Infiniti M off their list simply due to the listed MSRP.

If Infiniti will continue to offer big discounts on the Infiniti M, then that means they failed with the pricing and priced it too high.

Both the new E-Class and 5 Series have lower MSRPs than their previous generations, so these new models are priced closer to "out the door" prices. In other words, they are priced more realistically, and that likely means BMW and Benz will spend less on incentives.
Old 04-17-10, 03:29 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Exactly. BMW has more options than flavors of baskin robins. you add everything up and new 550i is easily over 80-85k.

and maybe it's just me, but i kinda miss chris bangle..

Last edited by joe80; 04-17-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-17-10, 03:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

exactly my thinking. I don't care if the m37S beats the bmw by a little on a few performance benchmarks.

the bmw is the less uglier of the two.

leave the wavy crap and radical styling to hyundai.

there are decades of heritage behind the bmw. 6 years of m35 is not enough to beat the bmw.
The problem is Infiniti is trying to be a "Japanese BMW". Comparing the GS for example to the 5 Series is a little different, because at least the GS offers something a little more unique (styling that has aged well, a comfortable interior, a hybrid model).

People go to Lexus mostly for luxury, great service and reliability (and more recently hybrids). People go to Benz for luxury and prestige, and they go to BMW mostly for performance. What are people going to go to Infiniti for, to get an imitation BMW? The G37 sells well because it offers great value. This new M doesn't seem to offer as much of a value as the old model.
Old 04-17-10, 03:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
Exactly. BMW has more option choices than flavors of baskin robins. you add everything up and new 550i is easily over 80-85k.

You get what you pay for. The options and choices available on the 5 Series blow away the Infiniti M. So much so, that you can customize the build of your specific 5 Series to a great degree. Yes you pay more for that, but like I said, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-17-10, 03:59 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

but those options are so expensive. much more than infiniti ever will be.
Old 04-17-10, 06:25 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joe80
but those options are so expensive. much more than infiniti ever will be.
I gotta agree with you Joe. This is getting out of hand. 80-85K for a "well equipped" excutive class car is imo a bit much. You may as well pay $5 more for a standard equipped flagship. I hope Lexus doesn't follow this trend with their 4GS.......And um I always said Chris Bangle was a martyr and will be appreciated one day. Hell, didn't his "bastardized" BMW's sell in record numbers?? I loved the butt then and will always love the butt!
Old 04-18-10, 01:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You get what you pay for. The options and choices available on the 5 Series blow away the Infiniti M. So much so, that you can customize the build of your specific 5 Series to a great degree. Yes you pay more for that, but like I said, you get what you pay for.
Agreed.. Like Mini, no two BMWs are configured exactly alike..

Old 04-18-10, 08:41 PM
YEH
Pole Position

The 5 Series hasn't looked good since the E39.

I wonder when BMW designers will stop making the headlamps saggy/droopy, which along w/ a more curvy signature BMW kidney grill, gives the front a soft, saggy look instead of a more angular, aggressive look.

Also wish the designers would also give the greenhouse/Hofmeister kink a more aggressive design as well (other manufacturers have improved upon the BMW greenhouse/C-pillar).

The new 5 is pretty much as boring-looking as the new 7; well, at least the interior/dash has improved.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)