Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 08:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not many people opt for the custom options on the BMW's. They are expensive to begin with, dealers are not likely to negotiate the price for cars they have to custom order, but most importantly, the lead time is too long. Not many people are willing to wait six months to get their new car.

But even the standard options on BMW's are expensive, and base models are simply not equipped adequately. With Lexus you can count that even standard equipment on a base model will be excellent, but on BMW's a lot of standard equipment is subpar, and you're forced to purchase premium options.
Old 04-18-10, 08:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not many people opt for the custom options on the BMW's. They are expensive to begin with, dealers are not likely to negotiate the price for cars they have to custom order, but most importantly, the lead time is too long. Not many people are willing to wait six months to get their new car.

But even the standard options on BMW's are expensive, and base models are simply not equipped adequately. With Lexus you can count that even standard equipment on a base model will be excellent, but on BMW's a lot of standard equipment is subpar, and you're forced to purchase premium options.
Even though many people might not go for the custom options on a BMW, they like the fact that it's simply offered IMHO.

I personally know of several people that bought a Bimmer over the competition simply because they offer those custom options. The people I know never actually went with the custom options, but they felt really good knowing that BMW offers them, and that the choice is always there.
Old 04-18-10, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

don't even get me started on the few people i know who gave up on getting the gs (and went with 535) because they couldn't get the black interior without the darn red wood

customization has both goods and bads. cost are higher, but it does provide the bit of exclusivity. cost has been the advantageous point on lexus side, but when it comes to prestige and status, customization plays a role (just look at the kind of customization you can get on lexus in japan)
Old 04-19-10, 12:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
don't even get me started on the few people i know who gave up on getting the gs (and went with 535) because they couldn't get the black interior without the darn red wood

customization has both goods and bads. cost are higher, but it does provide the bit of exclusivity. cost has been the advantageous point on lexus side, but when it comes to prestige and status, customization plays a role (just look at the kind of customization you can get on lexus in japan)
Exactly. Also in the luxury market, being a little bit cheaper than the competition isn't always that significant or important.

A lot of people are willing to pay for exclusivity, prestige, and customization. An even greater amount of people desire to own a car from a brand that offers exclusivity and customization, even if they themselves can't afford those things. Many of these people settle for lesser models, base models from the same brand, but they feel happy they own and drive a vehicle from a brand that offers these things.

To use another related example, look at the LFA and to a lesser extent the Audi R8. Most people don't have the means, nor the opportunity to buy an LFA even if they wanted to, or an R8.

However, the R8 has helped Audi's brand image. Many people aspire to own an R8, even if they could never afford to own or drive one. It makes Audi more of an aspirational brand.

Same thing with the LFA, many people will never in their lives be able to own or even drive an LFA, or even see one in real life. However many will aspire to one day see one, drive one, or own one. This will make Lexus a more aspirational brand.

Some of those people aspiring to own an R8 or LFA will buy a more attainable model, like an Audi S or RS vehicle, or a Lexus F vehicle. They will feel very good that they are driving a vehicle that has ties to an R8 or LFA.

Same thing IMHO applies to BMW and customization. Even if a lot of people don't choose to pay for customization, some people will buy a BMW simply because they aspire to have a completely customized vehicle.

If options, choice or customization are not there, then there is less for people to aspire to, and subsequently makes it less desirable to own a vehicle from that brand.
Old 04-19-10, 03:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

It takes to months max buddy to take delivery on a custom ordered Bimmer.. Owners can follow the progress of their build from assembly, paint, etc which is amazing.. My cars have been ordered this manner.

It beats accepting a car that POSSIBLY has been sitting in inventory for months that was not built to your liking.. I 'd rather start from a blank canvas & create my own work of art instead accepting somones elses work..
Old 04-19-10, 04:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It takes to months max buddy to take delivery on a custom ordered Bimmer.. Owners can follow the progress of their build from assembly, paint, etc which is amazing.. My cars have been ordered this manner.

It beats accepting a car that POSSIBLY has been sitting in inventory for months that was not built to your liking.. I 'd rather start from a blank canvas & create my own work of art instead accepting somones elses work..
Do you mean two months max?
Old 04-19-10, 05:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Do you mean two months max?
LOL..Yes.. Thank the keys on my keyboard for not responding to my inputs
Old 04-19-10, 06:07 AM
LexFather

I honestly don't think it looks great and any E39 comparisons are premature at best. I can't wait to drive it though.

Its great BMW offers customization for those that want it but most are simply sold off the lot from dealer ordered cars. Lets not act like the majority of owners buy or custom order their BMW.

The other sad thing about customization is in most cases you get drilled if you try to resell it. That custom green leather no one else wants or that hard to get wood no one cares about for instance.

I think it is great. The Infiniti M37/56 option packages are maddening. Only staid colors, only certain interiors with the sport and you simply cannot have it "your way" like the other Japanese brands.

Old 04-19-10, 08:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Customizations are most certainly a strong point for the German brands and a weak point for the Japanese, but there's a good indication that Lexus will provide more customization on their models in the future. However like I said before most people just buy whatever the dealer has in stock. I would rather see BMW improve the quality of their standard equipment even if they up the base prices a little, instead of keeping base prices artificially low and for buyers having to purchase a bunch of expensive options to get their cars to feel premium.
Old 04-19-10, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't think TRD and me are saying customization is a major perk (in terms of shares) for german cars, but it's gives that extra prestigious lift especially on the higher end models. to be honest, i agree, customizations on 3 series and c class that's a bit silly. but on cars like 7 series, s, cl, sl, customizations speak for people who are able to fork out the cash.
Old 04-19-10, 09:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't think TRD and me are saying customization is a major perk (in terms of shares) for german cars, but it's gives that extra prestigious lift especially on the higher end models. to be honest, i agree, customizations on 3 series and c class that's a bit silly. but on cars like 7 series, s, cl, sl, customizations speak for people who are able to fork out the cash.
That I definitely agree with!
Old 04-19-10, 09:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

LOL..Yes.. Thank the keys on my keyboard for not responding to my inputs
Well, 2 months sounds very fast. I mean, at least one month out of the two its gonna spend on the boat shipping across the ocean, so that leaves one month to get the car custom built. Amazing that they such capability.

Weren't you custom building yours? How long did it take to arrive?
Old 04-19-10, 09:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, 2 months sounds very fast. I mean, at least one month out of the two its gonna spend on the boat shipping across the ocean, so that leaves one month to get the car custom built. Amazing that they such capability.

Weren't you custom building yours? How long did it take to arrive?
I took delivery in August as my car was a 6/09 build (2 months).. Mine was a custom build. For example, I have stand alone options like heated steering wheel, heated seats which are not part of a package. Some cars have heated seats but no heated steering wheel for example. I have the premium package with nav, pdc, Logic 7, I-pod integration, convienience pack, popular gray trim, CR interior, AW, x-drive etc.. Take out one of these options & you will have a completly different car that requires a custom build since most of these options are not dealer installed.
Old 04-19-10, 09:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I took delivery in August as my car was a 6/09 build (2 months).. Mine was a custom build. For example, I have stand alone options like heated steering wheel, heated seats which are not part of a package. Some cars have heated seats but no heated steering wheel for example. I have the premium package with nav, pdc, Logic 7, I-pod integration, convienience pack, popular gray trim, CR interior, AW, x-drive etc.. Take out one of these options & you will have a completly different car that requires a custom build since most of these options are not dealer installed.
I see, that is indeed very fast to get the car custom built and shipped across the ocean in two months. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Were you able to negotiate the price at all with all the customization?
Old 04-19-10, 09:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I see, that is indeed very fast to get the car custom built and shipped across the ocean in two months. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Were you able to negotiate the price at all with all the customization?
I recieved a BMW customer loyalty discount.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)