Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 11:13 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha it would suck if i have to pay 400k before i can get that kind of customization

but of course, it's a torn decision. it will likely drive up the cost of lexus cars (which has been a big part of lexus success)
Well you get what you pay for in a way. The custom options would cost more, but then again that's why they're options. Not everyone would want to completely customize their Lexus, even if it was offered.

This is going back to what I said earlier, how many people would aspire to own a custom Lexus, even if they could not afford one.

Customization would just be something that would make Lexus a more aspirational brand.

The custom options for example wouldn't really affect MSRPs, or the price of the cars with "standard" options or packages.
Old 04-22-10, 03:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

yeah no kidding, people complained for the longest time on lack of ED on m cars. now they finally have it as well.

maybe we should get the m5 ED together
Yea, let's do it! It would be super awesome to tour europe in M5s. give me chills just thinking about it.
Old 06-18-10, 07:28 PM
LexFather

The all-wheel-drive editions of the 2011 BMW 5 Series won't be arriving stateside until October, but at least we now knowwhat the latest xDrive models will cost. The 535i xDrive kicks off at $52,775 while the twin-turbo V8-powered 550i xDrive will set you back a minimum of $62,875. Both prices including an $875 destination charge.

The xDrive system on the new 5 Series is not quite as sophisticated as the clutch-controlled torque vectoring on the X6, but it can utilize individual braking on the rear wheels to send torque to either side as needed to counteract oversteer or understeer. The central clutch pack also defaults to sending 80 percent of the torque to the rear axle to minimize understeer and retain BMW's familiar driving dynamics, shifting the balance to the front only when needed for traction. All xDrive 5 Series models also get hill descent control to maintain a constant speed when going down a slippery grade. See the press release after the break for all the details.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/18/2...art-at-52-775/

Old 06-21-10, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Predictable but nice

F10/F11 M-sport kit:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400307

Pretty darn aggressive for a BMW m-sport kit for the sedan and the wagon.
That definitely bodes well for the upcoming M5, but shame the wagon isn't coming to the US

Old 06-30-10, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Post BMW Says Revamped 5-Series Sold Out in All Markets

After driving it I completely understand. This car is a grand slam and simply is the class standard. (waits for "ON NO ITS THE ECONOMY gang to bite lips)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...it-months.html

ayerische Motoren Werke AG, the world’s largest maker of luxury cars, has sold out of the revamped 5-Series sedan in all markets, forcing customers to wait three to four months for deliveries.

“The 5-Series is at the core of the BMW brand and we knew it was going to be a very strong vehicle for us,” Ian Robertson, BMW’s sales chief, said today in an interview at an industry conference in Bilbao, Spain. “In the U.S., where it’s doing very well, it could come to between 15 percent and 17 percent of our business as we ramp up.”

The new 5-Series, which abandoned the flared headlights and small kidney-shaped grill of the previous version, starts at $44,550 in the U.S. The vehicle went on sale in the U.S. this week and in Europe in late March.

BMW’s flagship model competes with Daimler AG’s Mercedes E- Class and Volkswagen AG’s Audi A6. Audi, which aims to overtake BMW by 2015, plans to introduce a new version of the A6 next year, which will test the strength of the demand for the 5- Series, analyst Georg Stuerzer said.

“The 5-Series is likely taking market share from the A6, because it’s in the last year of its lifecycle,” said Stuerzer with UniCredit in Munich, who recommends buying the shares. “BMW’s new design language is more appealing and less controversial than in the past.”

BMW fell 3 cents, or 0.1 percent, to 41.49 euros in Frankfurt. The stock has gained 30 percent this year, valuing the Munich-based carmaker at 26.5 billion euros ($33 billion).

Increasing Profitability

BMW aims to raise profitability by increasing parts sharing among vehicles as Mercedes-Benz and Audi step up efforts to take market share. The new 5-Series shares as much as 70 percent of its technology with the top-of-the-line 7-Series, which starts at $70,150.

Demand for luxury vehicles has rebounded after the financial crisis sapped sales last year.
BMW’s sales rose 11 percent in May, buoyed by deliveries of the 5-Series, 7-Series and Z4 roadster. Mercedes sales climbed 17 percent as E-Class demand surged 84 percent, while Audi deliveries advanced 15 percent.

“The 5-Series has a lot of momentum and will likely have its full impact in 2011,” Stuerzer said.

Second-quarter sales of the manufacturers’ BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce vehicles are in line with the 14 percent gain in the first quarter, Robertson said today.

BMW is sticking to its target of increasing vehicle sales by a high single-digit percentage, Robertson said. The company said in May that it intends to deliver at least 1.3 million cars and sport-utility vehicles this year after selling 1.29 million in 2009, its lowest full-year deliveries since 2004. BMW’s sales through May gained 13 percent to 552,864 vehicles.

“A lot of markets are performing well,” Robertson said. “Overall we’re seeing good progress.”

Old 06-30-10, 08:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

same here mike. looking at how impressed i was after driving the new 5 series, i think it's a great success. about being sold out, well, i guess we still need to wait for numbers (though i am not surprised). let's just say my salesperson has been bugging me, but i just don't see the point of being one of the first. paying silly msrp, being a "tester" myself, etc... nah...

ah man, do i miss the test drive in the new 5
Old 06-30-10, 08:46 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

That's awesome, and really not that surprising. I have seen a couple on the road already. Looks killer in blue!
Old 06-30-10, 08:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen a lot on the roads here in SoCal. Limited supply?

I see more of the new 7-Series...
Old 06-30-10, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I haven't seen a lot on the roads here in SoCal. Limited supply?

I see more of the new 7-Series...
hehe maybe you have mistaken the 5 as 7? j/k

i haven't seen them on the road either except for the bmw driving events
Old 06-30-10, 09:31 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
So we have 3 owners so far who had their Bimmers custom ordered. Do we have a forth? This process does not cost the buyer an extra penny & is a smooth transaction between buyer & dealer.
I ordered both my 335i's. Both arrived about 6 weeks after ordering. I like the customization aspect of it, though I dislike the fact that they nickel and dime the crap out of you. I usually go 90% loaded on all my cars. Which is all options excluded radar cruise control. I paid invoice for both, but that's because I didn't finance it.

When the lease of my ISF is up in 1.5 years, im highly considering the 5 series or possibly the new m5. But who knows 2 years from now.
Old 06-30-10, 09:34 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

don't even get me started on the few people i know who gave up on getting the gs (and went with 535) because they couldn't get the black interior without the darn red wood
The biggest deal breaker for the GS is space. A lot of my friends considered all the cars in that class but went with 5 series cause they were simply had more comfort space in a 5 series. Not to mention it was hard for them to get their fat *** in and out of gs.
Old 06-30-10, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by f=ma
I ordered both my 335i's. Both arrived about 6 weeks after ordering. I like the customization aspect of it, though I dislike the fact that they nickel and dime the crap out of you. I usually go 90% loaded on all my cars. Which is all options excluded radar cruise control. I paid invoice for both, but that's because I didn't finance it.

When the lease of my ISF is up in 1.5 years, im highly considering the 5 series or possibly the new m5. But who knows 2 years from now.
definitely check out the new 5. that car is something. i have to say i like it a lot
Old 06-30-10, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by f=ma
The biggest deal breaker for the GS is space. A lot of my friends considered all the cars in that class but went with 5 series cause they were simply had more comfort space in a 5 series. Not to mention it was hard for them to get their fat *** in and out of gs.
lol, given that i have the gs350 right now, i can't agree with you more i always like to see people's reaction when i open up my trunk. i used to have gs400 with far bigger trunk. when my parents came last year and i picked them up with the gs350, my dad looked at the trunk and said "huh? what is this?" in terms of space the e and 5 have more usable space
Old 06-30-10, 10:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen one on the road yet, but I'm looking.
Old 06-30-10, 10:51 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Just found 100 new 5 Series sitting on dealer lots, guess they are not really sold out, kind of like Camaros being sold out and being able to walk into any Chevy dealer and buy one

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)